PDA

View Full Version : Laptop slows down after FAT32 to NTFS conversion?

Renmoo
03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Dear all, after acquiring an ASUS Z92T laptop from DSE and installing several programs onto drive C:, I realised that the HDD format was FAT32. So I took advantage of a HDD-format conversion feature provided by the laptop to change it to NTFS. However, after the operation has been executed and having the laptop restarted, I realised that the laptop has taken up significantly longer time to startup; I have tried defragmenting the HDD using Diskeeper 9, but to no avail. I have also tried tinkering around with the startup programs and services, but the speed did not improve. It would be good if someone can help me out with this. Thanks!

Cheers :)

P.S. I haven't tried malware-scanning yet, but I doubt the fault lies within there.

[edit] The laptop comes with 1 GB of RAM.

winmacguy
03-02-2007, 11:19 PM
At this stage I doubt you have got malware problems unless you have been browsing online with no antivirus installed.

bk T
03-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe you should try to restore it using the restore CD.

Renmoo
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Maybe you should try to restore it using the restore CD.
Restore, as in?

winmacguy, I will scan the laptop for malware anyway some time later.

G'night guys.

motorbyclist
04-02-2007, 04:48 AM
restore as in:
restore it to factory settings seeing as u dont have much on there yet. it should have a recovery partition if it didn't come with a windows/mac cd.

pctek
04-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I realised that the HDD format was FAT32. So I took advantage of a HDD-format conversion feature provided by the laptop to change it to NTFS.

Why?

Performance

On volumes that are created (not converted) as NTFS volumes, clusters start at sector zero, therefore every cluster is aligned on what is known as the cluster boundary. If the FAT32 partition was not created by Windows XP or Windows 2000, the FAT/FAT32 reserved structures mean that a FAT/FAT32 format cannot guarantee that data clusters will be aligned on a cluster boundary. In turn, this can cause the conversion process to be forced to use 512k clusters, thus causing a potentially serious degradation in disk performance.

Greg
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Try a Repair (as opposed to a Restore).

motorbyclist
04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Try a Repair (as opposed to a Restore).

or, try to revert the HDD format back to FAT32. i don't think you can reformat doing a repair, so considering pctek's comments i'd say a complete reformat and reinstall is the answer here

Erayd
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
or, try to revert the HDD format back to FAT32. i don't think you can reformat doing a repair, so considering pctek's comments i'd say a complete reformat and reinstall is the answer hereIIRC a conversion to NTFS is irreversible. The only way to get it back to FAT32 is to reformat the drive.

motorbyclist
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
IIRC a conversion to NTFS is irreversible. The only way to get it back to FAT32 is to reformat the drive.

well i did say 'try'

Renmoo
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM
It seems that reformatting the HDD is imminent. Can someone please point me to a reliable guide to reformat a hard disk drive?

stu161204
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
It seems that reformatting the HDD is imminent. Can someone please point me to a reliable guide to reformat a hard disk drive?

FAQF1 may be able to help you here: http://faqf1.net.nz/wiki/Reformatting_a_hard_drive

Hope this helps :) & best of luck

PS: you may also want to read any manuals that come with your Laptop in regard to reinstalling it.

Renmoo
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, Stu :)

By the way, my HDD has already been partitioned into three sections. When I reformat the HDD, would all three partitions be "collapsed and merged"? Is it all right if I remove the hidden partition as well (where Windows installation files are stored)?

pctek
04-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Er.........its a laptop. Don't format it.
Just backup your data and use its Recovery thing.
That will put it back to its factory state. Otherwise you could be there for ages messing about installing drivers and stuff.

You didn't say WHY you wanted to convert the thing....

Renmoo
05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Er.........its a laptop. Don't format it.
Just backup your data and use its Recovery thing.
That will put it back to its factory state. Otherwise you could be there for ages messing about installing drivers and stuff.

You didn't say WHY you wanted to convert the thing....
Hi pctek. Well, I thought the laptop would be better off at having NTFS rather than FAT32 as the format of the HDD, since NTFS offers better security than its counterpart.

Nomad
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Windows has a convert function go via help of windows and do a search for ntfs .. you can click there .. and it will tell you, you can do it upon the next time you restart your computer ....... (automatically scheduled).

For the formatting, if you are formatting that is per partition. If you have 3 partition, you need to do 3 formats.
If you are doing the recovery CD, do that, doesn't matter if you do format or not .. cos the recovery CD will put all the partitions back into (1) partition back to factory setup.
You can partition after if you like. You can convert it to NTFS after if you like (with Windows).

Renmoo
06-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Nomad and pctek. I have followed the instruction by reformatting the C: (I didn't do anything to D: as there isn't a need). Now the format of the C: partition has been reverted to FAT32. Should I attempt to convert it to NTFS again?

Nomad
06-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Nomad and pctek. I have followed the instruction by reformatting the C: (I didn't do anything to D: as there isn't a need). Now the format of the C: partition has been reverted to FAT32. Should I attempt to convert it to NTFS again?

You can get windows at setup to format in NTFS and then install windows, using the Windows CD to boot and setup.

If you got it installed already (Windows), you can hit the help menu and search for NTFS and click somewhere and it will schedule a automatic convert to NTFS for you upon the next boot into windows. It will do the converting for you upon boot up just before it gets to the Windows login screen.

PS. Not sure if you are using the Recovery CD or not ... just beware if you do use it, its likely to wipe out your D drive and your 3rd partition as well, b/c the Recovery CD puts everything to factory standard.