PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Sidetone and ADSL

rumpty
03-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Wo-hoo, signed up with Xnet for a broadband connection yesterday, so the fun should start sometime next week.

Something I've noticed already though, after installing an ADSL filter on the main household desk phone, is that the sidetone on the phone is very noticeably louder, and is toppy and harsh. Not nice, and my wife has commented on it too. Looking around on the internet, I see that this sidetone alteration is not too unusual after fitting a filter, in that the telephone doesn't like the change in impedance that it sees.

Anyone have any comments on this please? I gather some telephones are more affected than others in this situation. My phone is a Statesman? made by Plessey, and it has sounded fine up until fitting this filter.

decibel
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I didn't have a sidetone problem, but I definitely noticed an increase in line noise once the DSL connection was made.
I solved the lot by buying a splitter and installing where the phone line came into the house.

rumpty
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I didn't have a sidetone problem, but I definitely noticed an increase in line noise once the DSL connection was made.
I solved the lot by buying a splitter and installing where the phone line came into the house.

I might have to try that. What is the model of splitter that you bought?

wuppo
03-02-2007, 08:04 PM
You may find there is some difference between filters. When I installed a dlink filter, caller id on my phone became intermittent. I replaced the filter with a dynalink one and alls good.

A lot of splitters are internally the same as a plug in filter; they simply have wire ends to make connecting them into fixed wiring easier. Having said that, fitting a splitter 'early' in the wiring where it enters the house and providing a separate adsl feed is preferable.

rumpty
04-02-2007, 09:37 AM
You may find there is some difference between filters.

When the working week resumes, I'll talk to some people who sell these filters, and see if they have had any feedback about this sidetone problem. It can't be anything major though, or there would be discussion about it on the forums. Maybe my phone is too old, and newer ones cope better with line impedance peculiarities.

decibel
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I might have to try that. What is the model of splitter that you bought?

I knew that was going to be your next question - unfortunately, I got mine from REXEL [they only had one model], but I don't think they sell them now.

Try ringing some electrical wholesalers and if you do get one to put in, be careful - there is a "Line" side and a "phone" side.

wellyg33k
05-02-2007, 04:25 PM
You could ask Telecom to filter it at the line? - That seemed to do it for a friend who had the same problem.

decibel
05-02-2007, 08:54 PM
You could ask Telecom to filter it at the line? - That seemed to do it for a friend who had the same problem.

Yes, but then you have to PAY extra.