PDA

View Full Version : Best pc brand?

--Wolf--
31-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking of selling my Dell laptop and upgrading to a pc around the $700 - $1400 mark and am wondering what brand to look into?

Any pc brand suggestions that are reliable and have good prices please tell me. Thanks.

qazwsxokmijn
31-01-2007, 11:24 PM
It's best to leave it to a trusted computer store (not Dick Smith likes) and tell them to build the best system possible on your budget.

Go to www.qmb.co.nz. One of the many good computer shops.

radium
31-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Alienware are renowed as being right up there

winmacguy
31-01-2007, 11:30 PM
$700 to $1400 is fairly much in the low budget range of PCs unless your looking to build your own box. What do you plan on using it for apart from the standard web browsing, email, music etc?
Will you be doing any gaming on it?
To answer your question of Which brand of PC to get, get which ever brand you prefer.
If you ask 20 people on this forum you will probably get 5-10 different answers based in previous user experience and brand preference because at the end of the day all of the major PC suppliers all run Windows (Either XP or Vista)

Metla
31-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Brand on the outside of the box is worthless, Its the internal components that matter. For that price most will still be on the budget end of the scale but you can still get a good solid Asus motherboard.

Suggest you go to a couple of shops and see what packages they offer, Or if thats too much trouble, Buy anything from a major brand that fits your budget, No matter which you pick the internals will be unknown.

Alianware will not fit your budget, nor are they will priced, You pay 1000+ for the branding.

Rob99
01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
mac mini

supergran
01-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Can't tell you what to buy, but would avoid Mercury like the plague! In the three months my daughter has had hers, she has had the keyboard replaced, still waiting two months later for a new monitor, and the cd/dvd burner doesn't work, so the tower has been away for over a week so far, and now the mercury people aren't answering their help/warranty line. Sounds fishy to me.

RealBigDog
01-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Good suggestions above. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a major brand than have a shop put one together for you, but in that price range, you can get a shop to put together a great comp for you--just make sure they DON'T load Vista--stick with Windows XP.

And along that line, there are going to be some super bargains shortly in XP loaded computers now that Vista is out.

Of the major brands, I've had good experience with Acer and HP, but look closely at the specs--they vary greatly, and even the same model number can have variations like different graphics cards and different amounts of ram.

pctek
01-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Brand on the outside of the box is worthless, Its the internal components that matter. For that price most will still be on the budget end of the scale but you can still get a good solid Asus motherboard.

To explain Metlas excellent advice further.
Dell, HP, etc don't make computers, they make labels that they stick on the outside of the case. Actual assembly is done in countries such as Korea by 3rd party groups. Likewise support.

There are lots of different component manufacturers, some good, some rubbish.
The rubbish is generally what ends up in these PCs that people are deluded into thinking are a "brand".
This is why you only get 1 year warranty.

Go to a number of real PC shops, with good reputations and ask for quotes.
Stick with reliable good quality brand parts.
ASUS for motherboards and graphics cards.
Seagate for hard drives.
Enermax for power supplies.
And so on.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Lets say I wanted to get a computer built from PCU. What are the advantages/disadvantages to having one built instead of buying one off the shelf?

I had a go before, and I got this price and specs:

Intel System

$1,188

$13 weekly
(36 months)

Processor
Celeron D 346 3.06GHz 64Bit Skt775

CPU Cooling
Standard Heatsink and Fan

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
Integrated Video Adapter, AGP Port, Supports PentiumD

RAM
512MB A-Data 667MHz DDR-2 Ram

Removable Media #1
1.44MB Floppy Drive

Hard Drive
80GB Samsung 7200rpm

Video Card
Albatron 128MB GeForce 6200 TV Out + DVI

Case
MEC GH502 Black/Silver 300Watt ATX2 P/S Mid Tower

Monitor
17in Viewsonic VA702 LCD

Keyboard
Genius KB-10x Black Keyboard

Sound Adapter
Onboard 5.1 Channel Audio

Network Card - Wired
Integrated 10/100BaseT Network Adapter

I don't know a heck of a lot about computer specs, so if someone can build me a better computer on their site or can suggest a computer then please do so. I do a bit of gaming (used too, anyway) on my laptop, Half-Life 2, Counter Strike etc. But mainly I just want a computer than is generally fast and smooth for web surfing and programs like word and stuff.

Thanks.

JJJJJ
01-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Alienware are renowed as being right up there

WOT? $700 to $1400 ?
Tell me where and I'll buy a dozen of them.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 10:42 AM
What about this?:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/Complete-Systems/auction-85804985.htm

Tukapa
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
What about an operating system? There was no allowance for that in your PC you had priced up earlier in the thread.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
What about an operating system? There was no allowance for that in your PC you had priced up earlier in the thread.

I've already got the XP home cd.

gcarmich
01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
The machine that WolfForest22 is linking to does appear to be a good price but I'd be a bit suspect about the operating system. Can’t see them getting into that price range with a properly licensed copy of Windows XP Pro.

Tukapa
01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Well I did a quick throw together and got this

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 CPU
Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard
HLC-9639SB case with 400W PSU
Seagate 160GB SATAII hard drive
Genius Easytouch Optical II keyboard and optical mouse
512MB DDR2 533Mhz memory (would go for 1GB if you can stretch that far)
CMV 745AS 17" LCD monitor (8ms)
Asus DRW-1608P3S DVD writer
1.44MB floppy drive
Asus 7100GS 128MB turbo graphics card (PCI-E)
All assembled

$1141 (inc GST) + freight

Can purchase Vista Premium OEM for another $157 if you didn't want to use the XP disc you have although I wouldn't try and run Vista on the above setup!!!

Tukapa
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Yep - I agree about the TradeMe one - XP Professional included in that price would have to be dodgy. I suppose it doesn't matter if he has an XP installation disc at home that he is willing to use.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 11:40 AM
If I told him not to include the disc how much do you think I could save? I'd rather save $200+ and use XP Home than XP Pro...What's the difference anyway.

gcarmich
01-02-2007, 11:44 AM
He doesn't include the disk anyway - so your not going to save anything.

XP Pro has the ability to join a domain, XP home can't. It also has a couple of other things but nothing thats important for a home user.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh, I read it wrong, thought it said (Not installed, disk)

So would anyone recommend that computer or what?

gcarmich
01-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I'd go with Tukapas build - I can't beat those prices and its a better spec than the trademe one with more upgrade options.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Ok, did he build it through the PCU website? Under AMD or Intel?

Tukapa
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I threw it together through QMB.

If you are interested PM me and I can tell you how to go about getting it.

--Wolf--
01-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Just read his post again, I'm assuming that's without a monitor, keyboard, speakers etc? If it doesn't include them then that would probably go well over my budget after buying it all.

Tukapa
01-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Just read his post again, I'm assuming that's without a monitor, keyboard, speakers etc? If it doesn't include them then that would probably go well over my budget after buying it all.

My post includes a 17" LCD monitor and keyboard and mouse. No speakers included in that price.

Like I said - PM me if you are interested and I will tell you how to go about getting it or changing some of the specs.

RealBigDog
02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
As a gamer, I can tell you that AMD processors are a lot faster for the money than Intel.

Just Google: amd intel gaming benchmark

Greg
02-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Tukapa's recommendation sounds good - you should go for it.