PDA

View Full Version : Virus or Worm? either way, Help Wanted

Grandier
31-01-2007, 05:18 AM
my cousin's laptop at the moment is being struck by an unknown 'alien', one reason which i can blame her for that is that she lack protection on her laptop, and i can understand that, since she's not a frequent laptop user like me.

anyway, she CAN:
- turn on her laptop
- choose to start by Safe Mode
- that's about it

however, she CANNOT:
- go to the desktop, whenever the screen goes to the "Welcome" word, she is thrown back to the Windows XP black loading screen, putting her computer in an endless repeating sequence of 'welcome screen' and 'loading screen', often with black screens between 2 of those. (believe me, i left it turned on for hours and its still going on like that)
- go to the desktop VIA Safe Mode, as it hungs up a 3-4 seconds afterwards, showing that the system cannot access some files in the DOS (at this point, we haven't seen the Windows XP loading screen)

she's not good with computer stuff like me, but we ended up with the speculation that this problem is caused by virus. i also thought up a possibility that a worm is also involved, but can't be too sure abt it.

i did think to format the whole thing, but then if i can't even get to the desktop, re-formatting the laptop is only a dream. so please help us to solve this problem!! Thank you in advance!

RealBigDog
31-01-2007, 07:08 AM
People who run unprotected computers are what makes it possible for virus to spread. Infrequent use is no excuse--the BBC connected an unprotected computer to the net in a test--it was infected within about 2 minutes.

That said, you can make a bootable cd with avast virus cleaner on it and boot off that and then run the cleaner.

I like The Ultimate Boot CD and Bart's PE Builder CD. I like Barts as it's easy to load the programs you want on it, like Avast, but it requires building from a good copy of windows or the windows running on your computer, so you may find Ultimate to be easier as it's ready to go--just download the iso and burn it to cd.

Once you get the virus cleaned out, make sure you install Avast and then she won't have the problem again. Poverty is no excuse, as it's free.

pctek
31-01-2007, 08:14 AM
she lack protection on her laptop, and i can understand that, since she's not a frequent laptop user like me.

anyway, she CAN:
- turn on her laptop
- choose to start by Safe Mode
- that's about it

- go to the desktop VIA Safe Mode, as it hungs up a 3-4 seconds afterwards, showing that the system cannot access some files in the DOS

she's not good with computer stuff like me, but we ended up with the speculation that this problem is caused by virus.[/i]

Frequency has nothing to do with it.
The internet is a NETWORK, you are plugged into the world, the world is plugged into you.

There is no DOS in WinXP.

Seeing as you are "good with computer stuff", I'm sure you'll figure it out.

RealBigDog
31-01-2007, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=pctek;521466]

QUOTE]

Depends on your definition--dos commands do work in the command prompt window, and XP will run dos programs and bat files.

motorbyclist
31-01-2007, 06:17 PM
QUOTE=pctek;521466]

QUOTE]

Depends on your definition--dos commands do work in the command prompt window, and XP will run dos programs and bat files.

no there isn't dos in xp, but there is a dos emulator, and xp can run /bat files etc

as for the virus, being a laptop i'll assume there is a recovery partition. in any case, sounds like you have to reinstall. NEVER connect an unprotected pc to the net if you aren't prepared to reformat

drcspy
31-01-2007, 07:44 PM
if you are 'good with puters' then you should be able to figure out very easily in safe mode if theres any kind of virus or not.......

ahd

i did think to format the whole thing, but then if i can't even get to the desktop, re-formatting the laptop is only a dream

that statement tells me totally that you are not 'good with puters' at all.......since when does one need to access the desktop to format the puter.....in fact you CANT format from within windows.....