PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer home/work profiles

stevesumner
30-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Is there any way to setup IE7 to switch connection settings for work to home network like you can do with Firefox and profiles? I can use a regfile but it seems a bit clumsy, are there profiles or switches I can use?

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Just add the other connection and set either as default depending on where you are.

Or create another dialup connection/whatever and click on whatever connection.

stevesumner
30-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Nah, what I mean is I have an automatic configuration script at work and a proxy server, I want to be able to automatically change these settings so I don't have to go tools>internet options>connection>LAN settings and untick the config and proxy boxes and tick "automatically detect settings" when I am at home.

davehartley
30-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Why is the RegFile clumsy? I have two files with the different proxy settings for IE on my desktop -- "Connect at Home" and "Connect at School". Just double-click on the right one before surfing -- easy.

yzhu
30-01-2007, 11:08 PM
IE7Pro (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-IE7-Pro-43978.shtml) can do this. It's an IE7 add-on.

It puts an icon in the status bar of IE7 and you can click it, then choose 'Proxy Settings', create a list of proxies you use and then switch between them or disable the use proxy server setting.

Jack Feed
02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Do your technical stuff use any network management tools ?
If they use desktop authority from Scriptlogic (http://www.scriptlogic.com) - this tweak can be very easy. In our company we have DA installed on domain controller. This tool controls a ton of users personal settings like outlook & internet. We also push drive and printer mappings (sometimes they are different for certain users), perform folder redirection, spyware control and software deploy over interprise with this utility.
Your situation is really closer to our - we have some tens of users who use notebooks - and travel with them beetwen office and home or different offices. We solved this with validation logic of DA by setting their proxy configuration according to subnet they logging in.