PDA

View Full Version : Game install problem

mejobloggs
29-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Ok, I am confused. I have installed Rise of Legends on my pc, and now i'm trying to install it on my brothers' pc.

I get the following error when i'm at disk 3:
"Error 1335. The cabinet file 'Disk3C~1.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, and error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."

I thought my cd must be damaged or something, so I downloaded an iso of CD3. Then made an image of the rest of the cd's using Alcohol 120%.

So I tried installing it again from the images, yet I still got the same error!

Any ideas what to do?

Speedy Gonzales
29-01-2007, 01:21 PM
It could be this annoying Nvidia firewall on some mobos.

This isn't installed on his PC is it?

If the same CD installs on your PC, it'll be something on his system thats screwing it up.

Or burn it to cd with something like Nero instead, see if it makes any diff.

pctek
29-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Fix

Run the install locally by copying the installation files to your local hard drive.

Or

When registration of the engine is corrupted, all attempts to run .msi packages fail.

To correct the registration of the Windows Installer, unregister and then register the Installer service using the command line switches shown below. This shuts down and reregisters the service, which assures that the Windows Installer engine should function properly. Enter the following commands from a command prompt:

msiexec /unregister

msiexec /regserver

(ii) If this fails to resolve your problem try performing the following steps:

1) Unregister Windows Installer:

msiexec /unregister

2) Rename the following files from the command prompt: Msi.dll, Msiexec.exe, and Msihnd.dll (by changing the names to msi.dll.bak, msiexec.exe.bak and msind.dll.bak respectively.)

3) Restart Windows.

4) Install the Windows Installer service again (InstMSI.exe).

and

if you have Nortons, disable it first then try.

mejobloggs
03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Ok, this is what has happened so far.

Installed it perfectly fine on one computer.
Next computer, kept giving that 1335 error.

I read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258496

Tried installing under new user account. Worked!

Next computer... no go. I have worked my way through that list, plus the post above, and still the same error.

I have tried installing from cd, iso's, whatever.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGH.

Only step I havn't done was install in safe mode, cause once in safe mode, it says the windows installer isn't installed, so I can't install anything!!

Driving me maaad!!

Trev
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Look here.
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110742
Trevor :)

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, tried all that.

It was giving me the error on cd3, which was cab3, so I went and downloaded cd3 off the net, which still didn't work, but it shows it wasn't a cd error.

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Just adding more info here... Found this:

I’ve seen a lot of reports of an error 1335 (corrupt cab file) on various message boards. I was rebuilding an XP Pro system when I ran into it, and in my case, everything I tried to install that used the Microsoft installer (Paintshop Pro, Office XP, Norton Internet Security, etc) would cough up the same error. I tried, with no success, the two solutions mentioned in the following Microsoft knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314810. I finally got around the issue by setting my CD-ROM drive to PIO (Programmed IO) rather than DMA (Dynamic Memory Access) and the problem went away. You do pay a CD-ROM performance penalty since PIO is slower than DMA. Instructions: Bring up the control panel. Click ‘Performance and Maintenance’. Click ‘System’. Click the ‘Hardware’ tab. Click the ‘Device Manager’ button. Expand the IDE entry (note, the text may vary depending upon your hardware). Your CD drive is probably on the secondary IDE channel. Double click the entry. Click the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab. If there is a drop down list for ‘Transfer Mode’, set it to PIO. I’m not entirely sure why this fixes it, but my speculation is that the problem may be with chipset drivers. In this case, I suspect VIA… because when I originally set this PC up, about 1.5 yrs ago, I would have had older VIA drivers, and had no install issues. And going further down the slippery slope of speculation, I’m betting that the Microsoft Installer plays high-performance tricks with data transfers and thus triggers the problem. Regardless, if this helps anyone, so much the better. I have VIA drivers isntalled, but I have tried installing with all the files copied to the hdd too, so that won't be it.

And this site: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1280363&page=3

It suggests the following:

"Try restoring the default file association for .cab files using the appropriate registry script found here:"Now THAT is a possibility. I know that 7zip has associated cab files with itself, because I told it to. I will have to turn that off, and see if it works. Hopefully tonight!

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Ok, that didn't work.

:(

Graham L
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
If CD1 and CD2 installed OK, I'd guess that the file association wasn't a problem.

Try a memory test. It might be that there's something about CD3 which uses more memory, so you're hitting a bad spot. Or even, does that computer have less mory than the others?

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 10:26 PM
All these pc's have 1gb ram.

Will run memtest86+

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Anyone know how I could install in safemode? It won't do it atm, because the windows installer is not loaded in safemode.

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Hahahah, oh nooo. I just used 7zip to extract cab3, and it found it was corrupt. So it looks like the iso I downloaded was (got) corrupted as well!

No wonder nothing worked, aaaargh!

mejobloggs
04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Yay, got it now :D