PDA

View Full Version : Unable to delete file

lloydallan
29-01-2007, 11:23 AM
My son has been downloading files through Limewire. Unfortunately he downloaded a file (mpg) that he shouldn't have :angry and we are unable to delete it. I suspect that the file name is too long for Windows to handle. We have tried deleting it, renaming it, moving it to the Recycle bin - all to no avail. Right clicking with the mouse does not offer any options to delete/rename, etc. Is anyone able to give some advice? He has learnt a valuable lesson and I have removed Limewire from the PC so he won't be tempted again!!!

Rob99
29-01-2007, 11:52 AM
It will be cheaper in the long run to get rid of your son and computer buy a new one!!

else

Start - Run - "cmd" then navigate to the offending file. You can "dir" if your not sure of the filename, use "cd folder" and "cd.." to navigate through the folders to the file

Ctrl - Alt - Del - click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" click "End Process".

Delete the file - "del filename.mpg"

Start Explorer - "explorer.exe"

asdex
29-01-2007, 12:08 PM
You can also use a program like MoveOnBoot which will do it for you. Its free and you can find it by putting MoveOnBoot in Google.

lloydallan
29-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I downloaded, installed and ran Moveonboot When I tried to drag and drop the file into the box nothing happened and so I typed the full file name into the box. I received a "The above filename is invalid" message (I carefully checked the name to ensure it was correct).

I then had a go at following Rob99's suggestion. Even though my knowledge of DOS is now VERY rusty I think I followed the instructions accurately. When I typed in del filename.mpg (inserting the full name of the file) I received a message stating something like "No such file" (this was not the exact words but I forgot to note them down).

Any further suggestions?

Rest assured, my son has a very large flea buzzing around in his ear!

Speedy Gonzales
29-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Try Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/)

radium
29-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Or Try Killbox (http://killbox.net/), I have found this free usefull utility to delete stubbon files- When you use it, set it to delete the file on next boot.

lloydallan
29-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks Speedy and radium. I downloaded both apps and tried them.

When I used Unlocker I was not given the context menu option to use Unlocker on the undesired file (although this option was available on other files).

I then tried Killbox but was unable to put the whole file name into the box. When I navigated to where the file is residing, selected it and clicked on Ok nothing happened with this file, i.e. it didn't appear in the box. I suspect the problem lies with the length of the name of the file rather than it being a "running process."

Right clicking with the mouse only offers the options of "play", "Add to Windows Media Player List", "Open with ...' and "Send to ..." It will not play in Windows Media Player.

Speedy Gonzales
29-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Did u try deleting it in safe mode?

This (http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm) may or may not work.

SolMiester
29-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I downloaded, installed and ran Moveonboot When I tried to drag and drop the file into the box nothing happened and so I typed the full file name into the box. I received a "The above filename is invalid" message (I carefully checked the name to ensure it was correct).

I then had a go at following Rob99's suggestion. Even though my knowledge of DOS is now VERY rusty I think I followed the instructions accurately. When I typed in del filename.mpg (inserting the full name of the file) I received a message stating something like "No such file" (this was not the exact words but I forgot to note them down).

Any further suggestions?

Rest assured, my son has a very large flea buzzing around in his ear!

So, do tell, why are you p***ed at your son? oh, do you mean a naughty 1?

beeswax34
29-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Is it possible to move the offending file into a new folder and then delete the folder or back up the files in the current folder and delete the whole thing and then just restore the un-offending files in the folder.

lloydallan
29-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Beeswax - thank you for your suggestion. I have fixed the problem. I created a new folder, copied all of the current folder's existing sub-folders/files (apart from the problem file) into it and then deleted the original sub-folder where the file resided. Voila - the problem has been fixed and the file is no longer on my PC!!!!
In the end it turned out to be a reasonably simple solution.

And yes, solmeister, it was a naughty one! :yuck:

I would like to thank all who offered help my sincerest thanks. :thumbs: