PDA

View Full Version : Some OS Questions.

memphis
28-01-2007, 07:38 PM
1. Will MS XP stop being sold soon when MS Vista comes out for sale,so when people need to get an OS all they can get will be a Vista OS?

2. Like what happened to Windows 2000 pro you cant buy it new now?If you can let me please know from were I could buy it from,hopefully in Christchurch too,thanks.

3. Oh and another question is anybody using XP PRO 64 bit?
4. And what do you think about it,is it it more supported now with 64 bit drivers for hardwear etc.?I heard its nice and fast with start up and close down and games run better?

5. And what about Media Center Edition,does anybody have it?Do you like it?Is it ok for playing games on?

The reason why I am asking is I would like to get a new OS but it has to be a MS one so I can play my large collection of games on it and I dont want to get Vista for a number of reasons.

I have XP PRO 32 bit at the moment on my computer,but I want to build a new computer so I will need a new OS for it,as I will then have two computers,and will need two OS's.

Thanks for any replys.:thumbs:

winmacguy
28-01-2007, 07:47 PM
1. Will MS XP stop being sold soon when MS Vista comes out for sale,so when people need to get an OS all they can get will be a Vista OS.

2. Like what happened to Windows 2000 pro you cant buy it new now?If you can let me please know from were I could buy it from,hopefully in Christchurch too,thanks.

3. Oh and another question is anybody using XP PRO 64 bit?
4. And what do you think about it,is it it more supported now with 64 bit drivers for hardwear etc.?I heard its nice and fast with start up and close down and games run better?

5. And what about Media Center Edition,does anybody have it?Do you like it?Is it ok for playing games on?

The reason why I am asking is I would like to get a new OS but it has to be a MS one so I can play my large collection of games on it and I dont want to get Vista for a number of reasons.

I have XP PRO 32 bit at the moment on my computer,but I want to build a new computer so I will need a new OS for it,as I will then have two computers,and will need two OS's.

Thanks for any replys.:thumbs:

Memphis I think you can take it for granted that Microsoft will continue to support WinXP up until at least 2008 possibly 2009 or later since it is going to be quite some time before people and corporations actually start to seriously take up Vista and drop WinXP.

MS had to drop support for Win2000 both because it is old and because they want to force users to upgrade to WinXP - revenue.

As for getting a new version of Windows, stick with what youve got, it is going to be a while before the necessary 3rd party drivers come out for gamers on Vista.

memphis
28-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh ok so one more year,tops 2 years support for XP then?

I need to get another OS as I am going to build another computer so I can have two computers.So one can be a back up if anything goes wrong with one of them and carry on gaming,internet,and save my music,photos etc on it.

And what do you think about the other OS's have you tried them,XP PRO 64 bit,Media Center Edition.

Does anyone know which shop I could buy Windows 2000 pro from,or can you only buy it second hand from the newspaper etc?
I am interested in Windows 2000 pro as you dont need to activate it and I do a few upgrades every year and its annoying to have to go through this process,and I wonder when M$ stops supporting XP will it still be able to activate and work or be forced to get a Vista OS?

Thanks winmacguy for your help.:thumbs:

winmacguy
28-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure about 2 years tops for XP support but it is going to be at least till the end of the year before people seriously start looking at Vista apart from those who are naturally buying a new machine to replace their current expired machine. MS is going to have to look at a MINIMUM of 2 years support for XP. The "other" OSes you refer to are still just different versions of Windows and no I haven't tried any of them although I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for gaming, although in terms of various multimedia use I haven't really heard any great reviews about Microsoft media centre either. I currently use WinXP Home. My guess if your wanting to pick up a version of Win2000 Pro shouldn't be too much trouble as a lot of people still use it.

qazwsxokmijn
28-01-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure about the 64 bit edition, but if you don't have some kind of home theater system or don't make home movies, etc....Media Center is useless.

yzhu
28-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Microsoft just announced earlier this week they are extending Windows XP Home and Media Center support to April 2009 (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-24ExtendedSupportWindowsMA.mspx?source=rss&WT.dl=0).

zqwerty
28-01-2007, 09:28 PM
"Memphis I think you can take it for granted that Microsoft will continue to support WinXP"

See this post:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=76256

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2007, 09:30 PM
You may want to read info about 64 bit Pro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition)

And Media Centre Edition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition)

To see what the requirements, - advantages/disadvantages are.

gcarmich
28-01-2007, 09:48 PM

I'd stick to the 32 bit versions of XP if you want the large collection of games to run properly, the 64 bit version has to add another layer of software to make 32 bit apps run.

memphis
28-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Cool,thats reassuring thanks yzhu,and zqwerty for your help.:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales:thumbs: ,thank you also for your help as well,now I just have to decide which one to get.

I like the XP PRO 64 bit Edition as you can have more ram and harddrive space and that's got to be good for games in the future.:D

And the Media Center Edition sounds good too,with some helpful and useful apps/programmes.:D

memphis
28-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Does anyone have XP PRO 64 bit Edition and play games on it?Any problems,is it good/bad?

gcarmich,thanks for your advice I had not thought about any problems as I thought it would all work fine.

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Altho XP 64 bit Pro may support more ram, most mobos only support 3-4 GB.

You'll have to buy another mobo, if u want to use more than 3-4 GB of ram.

And I would say they wouldn't be cheap.

So, even if u wanted to go higher, (past 3-4 GB) with the ram u cant. This is a limitation of the mobo, not the OS.

So, take this into account as well.

memphis
28-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I was thinking about this for gaming/XP 64 bit pro.:)

GA-M59SLI-S5
1. 4 DDR2 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 16GB memory)(Note 1)
2. Supports dual channel DDR2 800/667/533/400 DIMMs
3. Supports 1.8V DDR2 DIMMs

(Note 1) Due to the limitation of Windows 32-bit operating system, when more than 4GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory available for the operating system will be less than 4GB; Windows 64-bit operating system doesn't have such limitation.:)

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2007, 10:58 PM
(Note 1) Due to the limitation of Windows 32-bit operating system, when more than 4GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory available for the operating system will be less than 4GB; Windows 64-bit operating system doesn't have such limitation.:)

Well normally u can't, but it looks like the GA-M59SLI-55 supports up to 16 GB. So, it shouldn't be a prob.

If the mobo only supported up to 4 GB, it'd be different.

memphis
28-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Quote: Speedy Gonzales
True but like I said, most mobos can only support up to 4 GB (or maybe 8 GB).

Even if the OS can go beyond 4 GB, the mobo can't.

So u can't put 16 GB on a motherboard that can't support more than 3, 4 or 8 GB.

So this mobo should be all good then!:thumbs:
GA-M59SLI-S5
1. 4 DDR2 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 16GB memory)
:)

memphis
28-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I just quoted you before you edited Speedy Gonzales.:D

Speedy Gonzales
Quote: So this mobo should be all good then!:thumbs:
GA-M59SLI-S5
1. 4 DDR2 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 16GB memory)
:)

If u want up to 16 GB yup. But then, can u get 4 GB simms here?

Looks like u can get 1 and 2 GB simms.

winmacguy
Just out of curiosty, does anyone know how well XP Pro handles 16GB of RAM? Ive only got 512MB on XP Home:(

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Just out of curiosty, does anyone know how well XP Pro handles 16GB of RAM? Ive only got 512MB on XP Home:(

XP Home and Pro wont, it will only go to 4 GB. And the mobo you've got now, would most probably only support up to 4 GB.

What each version can handle.

Windows XP Home & Pro -- 4GB
Windows XP Pro x64 Editions -- 16GB
Windows Server 2003 Web & SBS -- 2GB
Windows Server 2003 Standard -- 4GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise -- 8GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on X86 -- 64GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on x64 -- 128GB
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on Itanium -- 1024GB

winmacguy
28-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah mine only will only take 3GB of RAM on its current mobo and I am not able to afford to go any higher than the 512MB that I currently have due to $$$ limitations.

memphis
28-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Quote:Speedy Gonzales
If u want up to 16 GB yup. But then, can u get 4 GB simms here?
Looks like u can get 1 and 2 GB simms.

Yeah for along time you could not even get 2gb sticks but I reckon when Vista takes of more people will want more ram for their pc's,so bigger sticks will come about,like the 2gb sticks have.

Quote:winmacguy
Just out of curiosty, does anyone know how well XP Pro handles 16GB of RAM? Ive only got 512MB on XP Home

We are talking about XP PRO 64 bit Edition!:D
Not the 32 bit versions.

winmacguy
28-01-2007, 11:26 PM
[Quote:
We are talking about XP PRO 64 bit Edition!:D
Not the 32 bit versions.[/QUOTE]

It was actually the XP PRO 64bit Edition with 16GB or RAM that I was referring to as opposed to my own PC. It is just that I have never heard of anyone using or being able to afford 16GB of RAM on a Windows work station.

memphis
28-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Oh ok,I thought you were talking about your pc.:blush:

winmacguy
28-01-2007, 11:36 PM
No problem, I was just using my home PC as an example since it is the only Windows machine that I am familiar with. I know of a few engineers who have WinXP Pro maxxed out with 4GB of RAM on but I don't know of anybody who uses the 64bit version of WinPro with more than 4GB of RAM to know how well the system utilised the memory.

memphis
29-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah I am using 2 x 1gb at the moment in dual channel.

I have another 2 x 1gb spare and so I put them in and only 3gb was recognised.
I think XP Pro/mobo was the problem.

So I was thinking XP PRO 64 bit and this mobo GA-M59SLI-S5 would be all good for 4 x 1gb ddr 2 for the high end gaming that will be coming STALKER,CnC3,Supreme Commander etc!
And I could add 2gb sticks or bigger when they are cheaper/come around. :cool:

pctek
29-01-2007, 09:40 AM
1. Will MS XP stop being sold soon when MS Vista comes out for sale,so when people need to get an OS all they can get will be a Vista OS?

MS support is irrelevant.
Eventually the suppliers stop selling the old O/Ss, but that takes ages, Win98 was still for sale until about 18 months ago.

If you wnat to continue playing games - the new ones - then you will have to get Vista eventually - as it will be the only O/S with DirectX10.

So why not just stick to the O/S you have now and wait until Vista becomes a necessity?

SolMiester
29-01-2007, 10:16 AM
MS are still supporting Win2000 as far as I know!, It is Win 95,98 1&2 & ME they have stopped supporting.

With that in mind, you will be okay with XP right thru til 2011.......

memphis
29-01-2007, 10:27 AM
well I was wondering about the activation process as well as still being able to buy XP, I mean would M$ stop allowing you to activate XP so you would have to get a Vista OS in the future as XP is no longer supported blah blah etc etc.

So hence the interest in Windows 2000 Pro-no activation on it and can still play most of all my games on it.

If you wnat to continue playing games - the new ones - then you will have to get Vista eventually - as it will be the only O/S with DirectX10.

Yeah I know,I will try and resist as long as I can,maybe Apple.Mac will come to our rescure!!:D
Or Linux and Wine or something!!:D

So why not just stick to the O/S you have now and wait until Vista becomes a necessity?

I have XP Pro on one machine and need to buy another OS so I can build another computer.I don't want to pirate or do anything illegal.

memphis
29-01-2007, 10:41 AM
So could I buy Windows 2000 Pro from a shop?

Or can you only get it from the newspaper,second hand etc.?

And pctek when I cut and pasted your name this symbol:p kept coming up and I thought it might not be right so I deleted it.

winmacguy
29-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah I know,I will try and resist as long as I can,maybe Apple.Mac will come to our rescure!!:D

As far as OSs are concerned they did about 5 years ago although some people's opinions will differ on that topic especially if this article is anything to go by
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6288119.stm , as far as games are concerned...don't hold your breath, stick with Windows/Xbox/Nintendo or whatever your preferred weapon of choice is.

memphis
29-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Hay winmacguy that link was great thanks.:thumbs:

winmacguy
29-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Hay winmacguy that link was great thanks.:thumbs:

Your welcome. I think the BBC who are a Windows orientated organisation do it every so often because they know that they will get a few million hits from both PC users and Mac users on a very hotly debated topic. Keeps their website popular I guess:rolleyes:

Edit: I know a lot of the PC users comments were also commented on with regards to their "accuracy".