PDA

View Full Version : Nortons 2007 or NOT?

Emsley
28-01-2007, 02:44 PM
My local techie advised me that installing Nortons 2007 internet security would slow my PC to a crawl and that I'd be better to use free utilities such as AVG, Adaware and Spybot with regular updates. What do you guys out there think about this? I have the Nortons sitting here but as yet I'm put off installing it. My man is very sceptical about Nortons and stated that many others in the PC tech business are now saying the same.

I'd be very interested in comments and even testimonials from anyone who is using N 2007 already.
Thanks

winmacguy
28-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Correct. Nortons is a resource hog. Go with AVG Free or NOD32 as well as Adaware (Free) and Spybot (Free) and keep them updated. AVG always seems to have a biggish update on Saturdays.

I have been running AVG, Adaware and Spybot for ages and find they are pretty good. I un installed Symantec ages ago.

Greven
28-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Not. Most definitely not.

ughnz
28-01-2007, 05:30 PM
You do not need to go far, even in this forum, to find people saying they have a virus or a trojan etc. and they are running norton or McAfee. And from my past experiences these packages are a big resource hog!!

No anti-virus maker can see into the future so they do not know what is coming around the corner so any protection is only good for known threats regardless who makes it.

Some of the pay packages can be much simpler to use and do not require allot on the part of the user to make them do their job, usually at a price in terms of system performance. Also the other problem with the pay packages can be the on going cost, i.e. paying for updates. I have lost count of how many systems I have had to deal with where they have not renewed the virus update subscription and paid the price.

I use clamav myself it is very good at detecting infections, but will not remove them. In saying that thou not even nortons will remove many things either.

Do not forget that an ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure!