PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card advise wanted

flyingkiwi02
27-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi
I have a HP P4 Pavillion,3.2GHZ 1024mb ram and am currently running a X300SE graphics card(PCI-E) and want to up grade the graphics card.
I play Call of Juarez,FS9,Battlefield2.
As I dont want to spend the earth on upgrading my graphics card I want to get value for money.
I was originally looking at a 256mb 7600GT and was told that I would be better looking at a 7950 GT card.
I have found an Albatron brand 7950 GT 256 mb thru Kowteq at a price of $365.00+GST.
Dragon PC has the Leadtek variant available for around $523.00 inc GST (is leadtek that much better than Albatron ?)
My question is why the big difference in price ?
What do you suggest I should purchase ?
Looking forward to your reply's

qazwsxokmijn
27-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Albatron is pretty good fro mwhat I've heard. I'd go for the Albatron one. Cheaper, and is a good brand.

Trev
27-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Leadtek is one of the top manufacturers of graphics cards and use's superior components to Albatron hence the dearer price. I haven't looked at the specs between the 2 but also I suspect the Leadtek one has better specs. And another thing is it also depends on what software comes bundled with the card.

Trevor :)

native
28-01-2007, 02:23 AM
if ur wanting a gaming card then what matters the most what brand... and i highly recommend getting an NVIDIA!! with SLI ...

Greg
28-01-2007, 03:00 AM
if ur wanting a gaming card then what matters the most what brand... and i highly recommend getting an NVIDIA!! with SLI ...What brand? That's rubbish n00b. :groan: Any brand that has decent features and components is fine. And SLI is great if you can afford double the cost of any other high-end option.

The_End_Of_Reality
28-01-2007, 07:59 AM
if ur wanting a gaming card then what matters the most what brand... and i highly recommend getting an NVIDIA!! with SLI ... Rubish!!! you do NOT need SLI... only high end gamers where money is no object. For the avg gamer a single mid to high end card would be fine and last a fair amount of time. my 7800GTX has lasted me over a year since I got it and it is still running everything very well.

Why nVidia? why not ATI? it is all about going for the card that has the best performance in the price range.

Also ATI has Crossfire which can link more than 2 cards (with the correct mobo etc)

FK, what is your price range?

pcuser42
28-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Look at Nvidia's 8800GT, 2 SLI connectors.

Pete O'Neil
28-01-2007, 10:38 AM
The majority of nVidia cards are based on nVidia's reference design anyway, a few of the big name manufacturers design their own cards, such as Abit, ASUS and Gigabyte.

This means that even the cheap no name cards are atleast built to a certain standard. There is no need to spend the extra money on the Leadtek card over the Albatron card. The Leadtek could possibly be overclocked or have a better bundle, so do some research online and find out the difference. Chances are the difference is minimal.

Seeing as you dont want to spend too much money a graphics card based on the 7950 chipset is a good option. Anyone who reckonmends a 8800GTS to someone on a budget is a mug. Because you've got an HP system you will need to check the card will be compatible. The 7950's use a lot more power than X1300's etc

JJJJJ
28-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi
I have a HP P4 Pavillion,3.2GHZ 1024mb ram and am currently running a X300SE graphics card(PCI-E) and want to up grade the graphics card.
I play Call of Juarez,FS9,Battlefield2.
As I dont want to spend the earth on upgrading my graphics card I want to get value for money.
I was originally looking at a 256mb 7600GT and was told that I would be better looking at a 7950 GT card.
I have found an Albatron brand 7950 GT 256 mb thru Kowteq at a price of $365.00+GST.
Dragon PC has the Leadtek variant available for around $523.00 inc GST (is leadtek that much better than Albatron ?)
My question is why the big difference in price ?
What do you suggest I should purchase ?
Looking forward to your reply's

The best you can afford. Currently I consider the 7950GT , entry level.
I'm looking to replace mine.

SolMiester
28-01-2007, 10:56 AM
BF2 does run better with 2gb of RAM, if you play this a lot, it would be a cheap upgrade.

autechre
29-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Also check any reviews of the cards before buying, some have noisier coolers and may have slower memory than others - if you're concerned about such things.

memphis
29-01-2007, 09:50 AM
And you will need to get a new power supply as well,if you are still using the one that came with that computer,if you are going for a grunty graphics card.I.M.H.O..:2cents: