PDA

View Full Version : Universal serial bus ??

Les101
27-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi all, i hope someone can help me here, in device manager i have a yellow mark up against the " Universal Serial Bus [usb] controller ", could someone please tell me what this means and how do i fix it.
thanks

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Have u just reinstalled Windows??

What version of Windows is installed? If XP, is SP1 or 2 installed?

If one or the other is installed, delete that entry in device manager and reboot.

tweak'e
27-01-2007, 09:33 PM
proberly done the newbie mistake of forgetting to install the motherboard drivers.

Les101
27-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to get back to you.
No its not a fresh install, i have win 2000 pro & XP sp2 on the same hardrive, but the trouble is with win 2000 only.
So it sounds like its something to do with the motherboard drivers, should i reinstall all the motherboard drivers again ?
thanks

drcspy
28-01-2007, 04:50 AM
uninstall them in device manager then reboot....

Greg
28-01-2007, 05:17 AM
proberly done the newbie mistake of forgetting to install the motherboard drivers.The question has been asked before... how come some people never need to install mobo drivers? I've made up a few computers and not once have mobo drivers ever been an issue - never needed to install them at all. (Unless maybe Windows setup is installing generic drivers?)

drcspy
28-01-2007, 05:37 AM
depends a bit on the version of windoze.......earlier versions has much smaller driver databases.....and so often you would have to install drivers......however xp does not have ALL the possible drivers in its database and i've seen many situations where an install puts windows 'basic/generic' drivers in and then you have poor video resolution and or no sound or no modem etc......

pctek
28-01-2007, 08:50 AM
The question has been asked before... how come some people never need to install mobo drivers?

Because XP knows more of them. I'd still use the real ones, not what MS thinks it should use.

CYaBro
28-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to get back to you.
No its not a fresh install, i have win 2000 pro & XP sp2 on the same hardrive, but the trouble is with win 2000 only.
So it sounds like its something to do with the motherboard drivers, should i reinstall all the motherboard drivers again ?
thanks

Sounds like you might need the USB2.0 drivers for the mainboard.
XP SP2 has these in it already but from memory Win2k does not, but maybe SP4 does???

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2007, 09:55 AM
As it says here (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/readmesp.htm)

That yellow ? mark means, the USB 2 drivers haven't been installed.

1.5 Support for USB 2.0 EHCI Host Controllers

SP4 includes drivers for computers that contain Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) controllers.

You can use Device Manager to determine whether your computer has one of these controllers installed. If such a controller is installed, you can use Device Manager to update the drivers for it.

Note

We recommend that you complete the following procedure even if you have updated your Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver from the Windows Update Web site, as described in article 319973, "Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Support in Windows 2000" on the Microsoft Knowledge Base. The drivers that are provided with SP4 include additional enhancements.

To update drivers for USB 2.0

1. After you install SP4, open Device Manager. To do so, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click System, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

2. Click Universal Serial Bus controllers.

3. If Enhanced Host Controller appears under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you have USB 2.0 drivers installed. If Enhanced Host Controller does not appear under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, but Universal Serial Bus Controller appears under Other devices (with a yellow question mark), you do not have USB 2.0 drivers installed.

4. Right-click Enhanced Host Controller (or Universal Serial Bus Controller under Other devices), and then click Update Driver. Follow the instructions that appear in the Hardware Update Wizard.

After you have updated the drivers, "Hi-Speed" devices that are connected to the Enhanced Host Controller will work at high speed (up to 480 Mbps).

Les101
28-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Ok, thanks very much, i will do that.
many thanks :thumbs:

Les101
28-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I just wanted to get back say thank you, its all fine now, your help was very much appreciated, :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
28-01-2007, 02:34 PM
No worries Les. HTH :)