PDA

View Full Version : error of ip address.

vyasnilay
27-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi every one !
I have connected my computer with netgear adsl router. Now when I have connected that with usb cable and it is working fine. But when I want to swap that to ethernet cable it says connected but it generates IP address 169.255.0.0 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and no default gateway. My routers Ip address is 192.168.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 so it means I suppose to get IP address from range 192.168.0.0. I only get when i connected to usb not with ethernet cable. and I can only surf internet via usb only not with ethernet.
Troubleshooting so far. : reinstall the tcp/ip driver
change cable.
several time enable and disable the connection
but no luck so far.
reset the router.
can any one please guide me what can be the cause.

pctek
27-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Uninstall the USB driver.

Check under network connections - TCP/IP - Properties that it is set to auto find an IP address.

Start a command screen, and type ipconfig /release
then ipconfig /renew

Should be fine then.

leonidas5
28-01-2007, 07:22 AM
"Start a command screen, and type ipconfig /release
then ipconfig /renew"

Finding ip addresses is simplified by using the program "winipconfig" available here:

http://www.pkostov.com/wipcfg.html

Other data is available with this program too.

and in other places see Google for other sites

pctek
28-01-2007, 07:48 AM
"Start a command screen, and type ipconfig /release
then ipconfig /renew"

Finding ip addresses is simplified by using the program "winipconfig" available here:

So?
I told him to release and renew it, not find it.

vyasnilay
29-01-2007, 06:03 PM
So?
I told him to release and renew it, not find it.

I have tried that but it says unable to find DHCP server. It was working fine till two days ago and it stops now. Is it something to do with cable?
I have check out cable it seems alright to me.

The_End_Of_Reality
29-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Go into network connections and try manually entering the data in, do you remember what your computer's IP address was before it went sour? if so enter all that in.

If not, try setting the IP address to 192.168.0.10 for example (but keep away from the low numbers at the end to safe guard against any conflicting IP addresses) Subnet will be automatic, Default gateway 192.168.0.0.

You will also have to enter DNS addresses in, just use the Xtra ones for now 202.27.158.40 and 202.27.156.72

That should work, if not try other network ports on the router.

EDIT: by reset the router, do you mean back to factory defaults or turn of and on (keeping all the settings)