PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Console

Sherman
26-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey guys, is there anyway to access the recovery console when one's laptop only has "recovery discs"? I havn't seem to be able to find a way to do this. Is it possible?
I would like to be able to access things like 'fixMBR' amog other tools that can only be run from the recovery console.
My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Murray P
26-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Try a boot disc. www,bootdisk.com

Sherman
26-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I had a look at that site, but it looks like the disks are more for copying stuff off the hddisk when something goes wrong with windows...
beside the fact that I don't have a floppy drive...

The ntfs bootable CD looks like it had some use, but it didn't say that it had fixmbr (or equivilent) on it.

thanks for the reply though.

Murray P
26-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm sure I've used bootable CDs to access the Console or a CLI to do such things before. However, it would be one of these CDs from The Live CD List (http://www.livecdlist.com/?pick=All&showonly=Rescue&sort=&sm=1) (there are different flavours, choose from the drop down lists).

For e.g. UBCD has console tools (http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/)

Terry Porritt
26-01-2007, 04:28 PM
It is also possible to add Recovery Console as a start up option on a boot menu, so that there is a choice of booting into Windows, or, starting the Recovery Console.

However to do this the Windows XP CD is needed :(

It may be possible, though unlikely to use the recovery CDs, or it may be possible to use a borrowed XP CD to do it.

The procedure (from "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out") is:
"1. Insert XP CD in drive.
2. At a command prompt, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons, (replacing d: with the letter of your drive)

a Windows Setup message appears describing the Recovery Console option.
3. Click Yes to install the console.

The next time you start your computer, you'll see a "Microsoft Window Recovery Console" entry on the boot menu."

This process modifies the boot.ini file, and also adds a hidden system folder called cmdcons.

Sherman
27-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that.
I may be able to do that.

However, that won't help if I replace the windows boot loader.... (eg: with GRUB)

I have tried to create an XP CD using the files in C:\i386 and nlite, however when I try it (in a virtual machine) the setup program starts, but then asks (after RAID setup options) "Please insert the disk labeled Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD into Drive A:"
I suspect that some critical files in the root directry of the iso file are missing.
Any Ideas?

Thanks Again

mikebartnz
27-01-2007, 10:01 AM
However, that won't help if I replace the windows boot loader.... (eg: with GRUB)
Yes it will help as when Grub boots Windows the Windows boot loader then takes over. I have it set up that way on my PC booting PCOSL, Fedora then Windows with 2k and Recovery Console.

ughnz
27-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, is there anyway to access the recovery console when one's laptop only has "recovery discs"? I havn't seem to be able to find a way to do this. Is it possible?
I would like to be able to access things like 'fixMBR' amog other tools that can only be run from the recovery console.
My OS is XP Pro SP2.

I have seen several iso images of the recovery console available for download that you just burn and boot. Have a look at google.

Terry Porritt
27-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I have seen several iso images of the recovery console available for download that you just burn and boot. Have a look at google.

A very good tip, here are 2 googled sites:

http://www.tweakxp.com/article36941.aspx

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

lance4k
27-01-2007, 03:18 PM
all u need to do is boot from the windows xp cd when ur pc starts and keep fushing f5 or f8(forgot which one) and choose recovery console. it will run it off the cd.

Sherman
27-01-2007, 04:25 PM
The 7MB recovery console boot CD looks like it might just do the trick.
I'll look at downloading it sometime soon when I have the time. (on dialup so it will take a while :( )