PDA

View Full Version : How to connect 2 SATA HDDs?

qazwsxokmijn
25-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey all. I need to know this, because this is the first time I've had a SATA HDD. You know with IDE, you have to have the IDE cable with a slave and master plugs that goes into the two HDDs? What about SATA? Do they need some kind of interface cable like IDE HDDs do?

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2007, 09:02 PM
SATA's dont use Slaves just Masters. So, you can only put 1 SATA on a SATA header.

You have to connect the data cable (which is thinner than IDE cables), to the mobo header, and you need 2 SATA power connections / adapters, which can be on the end of a PSU, or a SATA power connection, with a molex connector, on the other end of this adapter.

The molex connector plugs into a spare molex connector from the PSU.

And depending on whether you're going to run them in RAID, you may have to extract the SATA drivers from the mobo CD (if the mobo has SATA onboard).

And install the SATA drivers, during the installation of Windows.

johnd
25-01-2007, 09:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

qazwsxokmijn
25-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Ah, sweet....no interface cables.

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Oops JohnD posted the same site.

Nomad
25-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Here's a related Q. Not that I am going to but .. possible to daisy chain SATA?

Edit.
Its only 1 per channel. So, its a bit difficult having more than 2 drives on one system other than using it external or go to other HDD types?

autechre
26-01-2007, 09:02 AM
The ratio of the number of SATA ports on your motherboard to the number of SATA drives you can install is 1:1. No daisy chaining like SCSI or IDE.

If you got 2 SATA ports, you can install 2 drives.

Some of the new motherboards come with 6 or even 8 SATA ports, plus a number of external SATA ports as well.

Pete O'Neil
26-01-2007, 02:56 PM
You can actually get port multipliers for the SATA2 interface that allows you to use 2 drives on one SATA channel. This way you could actually take advantage of the extra bandwidth provided by SATA2 compared with SATA1. They were mentioned by several sites when the first SATA2 drives started showing up, but it appears they may become more common when the SATA3 standard is released.