PDA

View Full Version : RANDOM CRASH-BLACK SCREEN-RESTART

notechyet
24-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Hello members
In the last week or so I have a problem with my PC. At random, a few times while opening a file in Outlook(2007), once by change over between Mailwasher and Outlook , once by right click on the Emule tray icon it just went black and restarted. I could hear a click, which I guess could be normal.
I have run spinrite6 and there is no sign of anything unusual.
Does anyone may have an idea what this could be?
Thanks

G

The_End_Of_Reality
24-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Is it the same file?

Scanned for Viruses, Spyware, Adware etc?

You do NOT run Spinrite on a HDD, you run the diag tool designed for the drive, eg for a Seagate drive you use Seatools

notechyet
24-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Is it the same file?

Scanned for Viruses, Spyware, Adware etc?

You do NOT run Spinrite on a HDD, you run the diag tool designed for the drive, eg for a Seagate drive you use Seatools

Thanks

I did run Seatools and interestingly it gave a failure for the "data partition" and not for the operating system partition.
Spinrite I did run as a maintenance (Spinrit6 option4) and from reading I understand that is "the" thing to do?

Just a few minutes ago mozilla had a problem and needed to close and also with IE7 I have been having "have ncountered a problem and need to close".
I do have Avast, HJT, Spybot and Adaware SE Pro installed and run regularily.
Re: Seatools; I thought I read somewhere, if the HDD is NTFS formated the Seatools is then not applicable, is that so?

G

The_End_Of_Reality
24-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Well where did you read that? as I understand, Spinrite is a recovery tool, not a diag tool...

Have you ran them recently?

Yes and No, Seatools has a problem with the NTFS, so it will say that the FS test failed, but ignore it, as long as it is ONLY the FS test that it fails it is fine, but it still works on the drive physically

notechyet
24-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Well where did you read that? as I understand, Spinrite is a recovery tool, not a diag tool...

Have you ran them recently?

Yes and No, Seatools has a problem with the NTFS, so it will say that the FS test failed, but ignore it, as long as it is ONLY the FS test that it fails it is fine, but it still works on the drive physically

Thanks

* recovery and maintenance tool

* yes some couple three weeks ago

* I will run seatools again to see exactly

* I just did run memtestv.3.2 and it looks as there would be a memory error as well and wonder if I should/have to replace all units or just try one by one??

G

The_End_Of_Reality
24-01-2007, 02:52 PM
You should run them weekly... that is the best.

Elaborate on the error a little more

pctek
24-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Spinrite I did run as a maintenance (Spinrit6 option4) and from reading I understand that is "the" thing to do?

DON'T fix it when it isn't broken. No it isn't the "thing to do".

notechyet
24-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks, PcTek
I have run memtest and I think I found the faulty ram by elimination.
Bit by bit I will place them back in again and test.
So, touch wood.
G

notechyet
25-01-2007, 05:08 AM
Hello members
just to follow up....
I have found two faulty ram sticks with Memtest v3.2.
At the moment I am working on two ram sticks only and so far the black screens and the unstability problems have not eventuated.

I have four sticks.
2/ACEplus 256MB PC2700 (1 with memtest error)
2/VDATA DDR266(2.5) 512MB (1 with memtest error)

Would someone now what the best solution would be when I get new ram, which I have to do quickly(work computer)??

I have found good info (black screens) on:
http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/46994.html

Regards

G

The_End_Of_Reality
25-01-2007, 06:24 AM
I have found two faulty ram sticks with Memtest v3.2.
At the moment I am working on two ram sticks only and so far the black screens and the unstability problems have not eventuated.

I have four sticks.
2/ACEplus 256MB PC2700 (1 with memtest error)
2/VDATA DDR266(2.5) 512MB (1 with memtest error)

Would someone now what the best solution would be when I get new ram, which I have to do quickly(work computer)?? What are the errors that Memtest throws up?

Also, just a thought... were all the sticks tested in one slot or were they tested in different slots?

Well you can still run it with only 768MB of RAM... just won't be as fast... and what exactly do you mean by " Would someone now what the best solution would be when I get new ram"? best solution for what? getting new RAM IS the solution...

notechyet
25-01-2007, 09:02 AM
What are the errors that Memtest throws up?

Also, just a thought... were all the sticks tested in one slot or were they tested in different slots?

Well you can still run it with only 768MB of RAM... just won't be as fast... and what exactly do you mean by " Would someone now what the best solution would be when I get new ram"? best solution for what? getting new RAM IS the solution...

Thanks

* somethink like this
test-----pass-----failing adress------good----bad---error bits---count

6--------0--------0001007b1200----0020000--000200001--200000---4--1

Since I removed the two (faulty)everything seems to be stable

* the sticks where in the machine for more than a year.
* tested on the same slots without changing slots

*768 MB is to low for work I am doing from time to time

*"Would someone know what the best solution would be"
mixing of brands?, sizes?, type?
the ones remaining are:
1/ACEplus 256MB PC2700
1/VDATA DDR266(2.5) 512MB

Regards

G

The_End_Of_Reality
25-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Ok, it sounds like the RAM, try testing the faulty modules in the slots of the non faulty sticks. (Just to be sure it is the RAM and not the mobo's RAM slots often happens and you go buy new RAM and you can't use it...)

It doesn't matter how long it was in there for, there is and always will be a chance it can die at anytime... but 2 sticks going faulty at the same time (even diff brand etc) has me suspicious of the motherboard's RAM slots...

What sort of CPU, mobo etc? I am guessing you can only run DDR266? I would say unless you want MAX performance (which by the DDR266 is not the case) go for some Kingston ValueRAM or ADATA stuff, size is up to you and how much you want...

I personally prefer to have all the same brand, model etc, saves the possible dissliking of different modules.

notechyet
25-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Ok, it sounds like the RAM, try testing the faulty modules in the slots of the non faulty sticks. (Just to be sure it is the RAM and not the mobo's RAM slots often happens and you go buy new RAM and you can't use it...)

It doesn't matter how long it was in there for, there is and always will be a chance it can die at anytime... but 2 sticks going faulty at the same time (even diff brand etc) has me suspicious of the motherboard's RAM slots...

What sort of CPU, mobo etc? I am guessing you can only run DDR266? I would say unless you want MAX performance (which by the DDR266 is not the case) go for some Kingston ValueRAM or ADATA stuff, size is up to you and how much you want...

I personally prefer to have all the same brand, model etc, saves the possible dissliking of different modules.

Thanks for you reply

* I will try the ram in the different slots t'night
* the motherboard is an ALBATRON PX865PE PRO, P4 CPU, 4memory slots which use 184pin DDR SDRAM
* I would prefer the same brand etc. of RAM and had a quick look at Price spy, just not easy to find the VDATA DDR266(2.5)

CPU:
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / One Logical Processor
Vendor GenuineIntel
CPU Full Name Intel Pentium 4
CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU Code Name Northwood
Technology 0.13
Platform Name Socket 478
Type Original OEM processor
FSB Mode QDR
Platform ID 2
Microcode ID 37
Type ID 0
CPU Clock 2393.39
System Bus Clock 531.86
System Clock 132.97
Multiplier 18.00
Original Clock 2400.00
Original Bus Clock 533.33
Original System Clock 133.33

Motherboard:

Model Springdale

Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
Chipset Model 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
South Bridge 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge
SMBus Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller @0500

CPU Intel Pentium 4
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3066 MHz

System Slots 4 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Capacity 768 MBytes
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction 8-bit Parity
Error Correction Capabilities None
Name Physical Memory Array
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

Regards
G

The_End_Of_Reality
25-01-2007, 11:48 AM
As long as the RAM is DDR you will get away with it. ie DDR400 modules will work, but will only run at DDR266.

Heh, similar to my work PC... just a tad slower in the CPU

Are you sure it is VDATA? I know there is ADATA, but I have never heard of VDATA...

SolMiester
25-01-2007, 12:44 PM
You should run them weekly... that is the best.

Elaborate on the error a little more

Are you serious bud........? LOL:groan:

The_End_Of_Reality
25-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Are you serious bud........? LOL:groan: At it again??? :annoyed:

How often do you run your virus, adware, spyware scanners? if ever... (I was talking about the software scanners, NOT hardware testers...)

notechyet
25-01-2007, 01:28 PM
At it again??? :annoyed:

How often do you run your virus, adware, spyware scanners? if ever... (I was talking about the software scanners, NOT hardware testers...)

All (virus, adware, spyware scannes) are done weekly with the necessary updates. And, it is VDATA memory.
G

The_End_Of_Reality
25-01-2007, 01:40 PM
All (virus, adware, spyware scannes) are done weekly with the necessary updates. And, it is VDATA memory.
G I was actually refering to the comment made by SolMiester...

But good running software scanners weekly is the best thing to do.

Hmm... a no name brand... I see there are two rerefences of it on Pricespy...

notechyet
26-01-2007, 05:34 AM
As long as the RAM is DDR you will get away with it. ie DDR400 modules will work, but will only run at DDR266.

Heh, similar to my work PC... just a tad slower in the CPU

Are you sure it is VDATA? I know there is ADATA, but I have never heard of VDATA...

Here is the link to show it does exist.
Not to sure about the quality?
http://computerlink.co.nz/items~Mc~VDATA.htm

The_End_Of_Reality
26-01-2007, 06:28 AM
I know it exists " Hmm... a no name brand... I see there are two rerefences of it on Pricespy..." ;)

Ouch $257 for 1GB of DDR333 :horrified I paid $140 per GB for my Legend DDR400 a year ago

SolMiester
26-01-2007, 10:42 AM
At it again??? :annoyed:

Looked to me you were stating the hardware testers.....thats why I asked if you were serious!

The_End_Of_Reality
26-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Looked to me you were stating the hardware testers.....thats why I asked if you were serious! Well I wasn't...

What a waste of time running hardware testers every week is... I only run them once on a new build, while overclocking and if there are any errors caused by hardware... even that is a lot...