PDA

View Full Version : PC won't start

mejobloggs
23-01-2007, 10:05 PM
If i press on, it lights up and whirs and chugs and whatnot, but nothing displays on the monitor. You know, none of the usual... dos... booting up... garbage.

I turned it on and left it for a while, then tried to access it from another pc on the network, but no go. So it's not a monitor/graphics card problem. (i don't think... maybe i didn't wait long enough, heh. But i did try replacing the graphics card, and still no go)

It has been acting weirdly lately. The other day it decided it now had raid, and was trying to install raid drivers or some such. And when I booted up it was saying peculiar stuff as well. Not sure what about, it still worked then, so I didn't bother reading it :groan:

No beeps or anything. Just lights, fans, and humming.

Any ideas? (apart from me going to bed right now, cya tomorrow :))

Oh, and this pc I'm on now... I just turned it off... twice. It seems to restart every time now instead of staying dead. Stupid stupid.

bob_doe_nz
23-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Try another PSU, CPU, or RAM.

Those three are usually the culprits. Otherwise a remote case of the battery.

mejobloggs
24-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Ok, thanks. Oh, and another thing I notice was that windows was completely out on the date/time. Was fine one day, and then the next day it was another month even.

FoxyMX
24-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Try a new CMOS battery.

stu161204
24-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I agree with FoxyMX, it sounds like the CMOS battery is on its last legs.

mejobloggs
24-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Well CMOS battery certainly sounds the easiest and cheapest, so I shall try it first :)

What!? $20 at dse for one? Here I was thinking it would be like... 20 cents!

beeswax34
24-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Well they know how important a CMOS battery is and the fact that we cant really live without one so let the exploitation begin and continue.