PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive trouble

hamstar
22-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi guys,

Having a spot of trouble with my hard drive. I have had much trouble with it before, coming from supercheap computers :(

This time, the deadedness was, I woke up and heard it clicking in my server, so I turned it off. Tried running it again and it wouldn't work. Tried in my PC didn't work either. Says "BIOS does not be installed" on the sata post.

So I have a model of the same make/model so I decided to swap the logic boards, they were both the same rev and I thought it woudl have to be a problem with the circuitry as that seems logical to where most things would be happening/interfacing with the sata controller.

Slapped my good one onto it and it did the same thing. What does this mean? There isn't much more circuitry inside the disk is there?

I really quite want the data back off this disk but not enough to pay someone. I have ghost rider, getaway in stockholm and quite a few movies on it.

I knew I shouldn't have bought from that crappy store.

Cheers,
hamstar

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Well take it back in person to Supercrap, and ask for a refund. If its under warranty.

Don't forget the receipt.

But since you've played around with it and changed boards, they may not take it back, if u they find out that u did this.

Are u sure u connected the data and power cable to the SATA?? That'll be one reason, why it can't be found on both PC's.

pctek
22-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Having a spot of trouble with my hard drive.
I heard it clicking in my server, so I turned it off.

I knew I shouldn't have bought from that crappy store.

Yep you shouldn't have.
Its not just the controller that can fail in them, there are all sorts of its parts that can fail.

Pay someone or get used to the idea its gone.

hamstar
22-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Are u sure u connected the data and power cable to the SATA?? That'll be one reason, why it can't be found on both PC's.

oh dear I forgot to connect the power cable. I thought you only had to connect 1?

NOT. Lol... I ain't a noob... making sure everything is connected properly is a pretty big troubleshooting jump if I'm up to swapping the logic boards haha :D

All connected, tried different cables, 3 different computers, 4 different OS's, 3 different linux kernels.

The thing is this has died TWICE before, both times I took it back and they did a brun in test overnight, gave it back to me minus all my data and told me it was fine! I get it home it runs for 20 minutes then dies again.

I'm gonna stab someone over there I mean, honestly..!

stu161204
22-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna stab someone over there I mean, honestly..!

LOL :D