PDA

View Full Version : Sharing dialup connections

Henry Crun
21-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi, I've got a ethernet network at home with a shared dialup internet connection on one machine. We've got a new laptop and I've configured it to access the net through the dialup connection. However it requests a connection whenever it's plugged into the LAN. Is this normal? Can I configure the laptop to request net access only when IE or Outlook is running?

Does this mean I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to broadband?

Any help gratefully received!!

Renmoo
21-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Henry. Can you please clarify the term "ethernet network"? Is it a direct crossover LAN cable between your two machines, or are they wired to a router etc.?

If you are referring to the former, it is possible to set one of the machines as an internet gateway for the other computer so that you can shared the connection.

Cheers :)

jcr1
21-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi, I've got a ethernet network at home with a shared dialup internet connection on one machine. We've got a new laptop and I've configured it to access the net through the dialup connection. However it requests a connection whenever it's plugged into the LAN. Is this normal? Can I configure the laptop to request net access only when IE or Outlook is running?

Does this mean I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to broadband?

Any help gratefully received!!

You've got to have the wood you know. You've got to have the wood

Nomad
21-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Via your internet options (under IE's tools menu) put dialup connection to "manual" or do not dial auto.

For the one that comes up with the login, is that a network login or a dialup login? If you are networking and the computers have login and password then that is a must .. but you can save the password and it won't request this again.

For the router. For dialup most are internal or via USB or COM port, AFAIK a router won't fix this as a dialup modem is not always on, the modem does not contain the username and password in it .. so regardless if its internal or external you will still need to share it via windows unless you have a spare computer set up as a server. You may be able to share the modem but I arn't sure how its possible for both to be on at the same time. You may still need to go via the fuss of windows.

How does one connect a USB or COM port dialup modem to a router physically?

johnd
21-01-2007, 08:05 PM
We've got a new laptop and I've configured it to access the net through the dialup connection.

What you are wanting to do is certainly possible (if slow!). Two machines is not too bad - 3 starts to degrade noticeably.

When you say you have configured to access the net - what have you done? Have you set up internet connection sharing? What OS is the orginal PC?

Henry Crun
22-01-2007, 05:13 PM
All
Thanks for the replies.

I've got a 100 MByte/sec switch.

"You can't get the wood you know" (for goons fans only).

I suspect broadband over my network is the answer.

:-)