PDA

View Full Version : Sticky mouse

sarel
21-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi guys

Got a sticky mouse - sticky on the outside (Son and fizzy drinks) Tried soapy water, ethanol, meths, etc - they all work to some extent but not totally. Anything out there you guys use that you find really good, except the dishwasher?

sarel

SurferJoe46
21-01-2007, 07:34 AM
You know me...that dishwasher has been a godsend for keyboards...

Since sugar is water-soluble, I suggest just using something such as an enviro-friendly cleaner like Windex (window cleaner, not aerosol), of Basic-H or any citrated spray and wipe stuff. Don't soak the guy, just a healthy spray...maybe on the wiping towel would do it.

Rob99
21-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Easy-off BAM!!

pcuser42
21-01-2007, 10:13 AM
BAM and the dirt is gone! :D

Thomas01
21-01-2007, 03:04 PM
If nothing in the cleaning line works OK then I have always resorted to a spot of ordinary baby powder - works every time!
Tom

bob_doe_nz
21-01-2007, 06:26 PM
What type of mouse is it? If it is a trackball mouse (aka the old ball mouse) then usually they can be taken apart quite easily and then individually cleaned.

The new optical mice, especially the cheaper and/or more basic opticals can be taken apart and the components individually cleaned fairly easily.:thumbs:

A good soaking in semi hot soapy water (Palmolive water) for five to ten mins and a good wipe with a soaked sponge should work wonders.

somebody
21-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I usually use a mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. Then, a thin coat of Silicon Spray (wiped off with a paper towel), to try and reduce build-up of "stuff" on it. It does feel a bit weird to begin with though.

sarel
21-01-2007, 09:18 PM
MS Optical. Question - do this mouse just "click" apart - where do you start to get it in different pieces?

sarel

bob_doe_nz
21-01-2007, 09:23 PM
MS Optical. Question - do this mouse just "click" apart - where do you start to get it in different pieces?

sarel

Ususally you have to remove the spacer feet, then unscrew the screws underneath.

it's a case then of carefully removeing the two half shells and separating the scroll wheel and main sensor unit.

Clean all but the sensor unit and you should be find.

Laura
21-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Mine is a Genius optical & I hoped the MS info might work for it also.
But I'm not sure what's meant by spacer feet.
I have 4 round raised pieces (one in each "corner") but they're almost flush & don't look as though they could come off - Well not in night light, anyway.

There is one tiny recessed screw at the bottom, though. Looks like a Phillips.
I'd be dubious about trying to open it unless someone knowlegeable assured me that was OK.
I ask because it's been playing up a bit recently, refusing to scroll for a while, then coming right after a reboot. So it could be useful info if it died suddenly.

sarel
22-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Same here Laura - I can see no screws so p'haps will have to ask our resident experts - IT guys - at work.

sarel

Cornot
22-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I just brought a Logitech G5 mouse... No Drinks within 5m lol