PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Broadband with flatmates - data usage

nmurray
20-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I want to get Broadband for our flat. I am just intending to get a wireless router to connect the other 2 flatmate's.

1) Choice of ISP:
I am with Clearnet, my flatmate with slingshot. My flatmate has a cell phone / land line deal with Telecom.
I assume that signing up for tolls for another ISP (to save $10 per month on the plans) will cost my flatmate more with his Telecom package since he won't have tolls with T/c? I read some good comments here about Xnet - it seems to me the best alternative ISP other than Xtra at the moment as it doesn't have the $10 tolls discount. I also like the fact that you pay for the data you use - rather than Clearnet where the unused data expires at the end of the month.

2) I realize I can check the total usage - is there a way to monitor the usage of each flatmate? This is so if we want to we can divy up the data usage cost / excess data cost.

3) Privacy - can they find out what I websites I visit etc. if it is shared? Is this compromised by 2)?

Thanks for your help.
Nick

maverickoc
21-01-2007, 05:32 AM
I like the way actrix work their plans- instead of getting a monthly cap, they inncur a daily charge, which sounds best for your situation, considering for 39.95 a month you can get 300MB a day

for your data monitoring, http://delphi.about.com/od/fullcodeprojects/l/aa112903a.htm can be installed on local computers. No, your privacy will not be affected as it only monitors traffic

Good Luck

Greg
21-01-2007, 07:48 AM
3) Privacy - can they find out what I websites I visit etc. if it is shared?Almost certainly. But this can be countered by following each session with proper cleaning techniques, eg clearing History, running ccleaner etc etc.

Nomad
21-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I would check the terms of the Telecom that he is with.

If it works, he can keep his cellphone and landline.
Just pop any (non Xtra) broadband on it.
If he goes with Xtra he might get a discount further to the Telecom deal, maybe.

Xnet is the same price or lesser than Xtra and they don't force you switch tolls in order to get $10 discount. I am with their FS/128 for $39.95 5.8GB of data, if you not use all they won't bill you all, if you go over its dialup speed. $49.95 is around 16GB I think. There are also other ISPs as well.....

With Xnet if you switch your tolls over to them or if you do not ... you get no discount. $39.95 for 5.8GB is the same price if you have tolls with them ... or not. Xtra's plan for $39.95 only provide you with 1GB of data and you have to switch your tolls to them. If you do not, it cost $10 more.

nmurray
22-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your suggestions...

I use firefox so it clears the cache, history etc on exit. Anyway since all the PC's are XP, when networked we should only be able to see each others shared folder. Therefore I should not be able to access my flatmate's internet cache, program files, My document folder etc.

I will try the traffic monitor. Cheers.

Nomad
22-01-2007, 10:04 PM
What has access to the router? Can get access to the system log.
However who ever owns it can set a username and a password so only he/she can get into the router's status screens.