PDA

View Full Version : Lost Administrator Account

Blue Druid
20-01-2007, 12:22 AM
I have just set up a couple of new user accounts, one of which has administrator rights. However, having done this, I discover that my old administrator account (the original from which I was working) has disappeared, along with all my established documents and settings.

Although they are still visible in Windows explorer the account name is not available to log on to.

Is there any way in which this can be restored? OS is XP Pro but I am very new to XP and not sure if system restore can help. I don't want to risk losing any more access than I have already!

Blue Druid
20-01-2007, 06:43 AM
I have discovered that system restore does not restore vanished user accounts!

Myth
20-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Using the other admin account I would recover all files you can.

This link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840001) may also be of some use to you

4bes
20-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Download and install Microsoft tweak ui from here. (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)
It'll show in the control panel and it will give you the option to add the administrator to the welcome screen, as well as many other tweaks.

Blue Druid
20-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Tazz: I notice that the article refers to restoring deleted accounts but the administrator account was not specifically deleted and it is only the log on option that is missing since creating the new admin acct. Can you confirm that option 2 would be the preferred action in my case? (it appears to be the most appropriate of the choices given.)

4bes: Because I will always look for the easier softer way, I tried your option first. In the log-on tab I changed the "log-on using" to "Administrator" but on reboot, the option remains missing. I also checked "clear the last user" as suggested. However, the only accounts available to me remain the two new ones I created. Am I perhaps looking in the wrong place in Tweakui?

davehartley
20-01-2007, 08:26 AM
As far as I understand, the "Administrator" account should never be used for day-to-day use of your computer. You should always have a user account set up separately, and have your Administrator account password-protected (so no-one else can use it!)

What you've seen is standard XP behaviour -- if there is another account, you won't see the Administrator account on the Welcome screen. Maybe this will help: when you get the Welcome screen, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete. If you do this (I have to press it twice), you'll get a different login screen, where you can type "Administrator" as the user name.

Once you're in, copy all your files from "My Documents" to your "NewUser's Documents" and they'll be there for you. Settings for programs will be a bit more awkward ... you can copy Favourites (IE) or your Mozilla Profile (Firefox/Thunderbird), but other programs may be a bit more tricky ... someone else will have a solution for those, no doubt!

4bes
20-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Have a look at this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/logon.JPG) screenshot. just tick the box that is highlighted.

Blue Druid
20-01-2007, 09:19 AM
YeeHah! It was the Ctrl-Alt-Delete that got me there (once I remembered the correct password!) but I realise from your screenshot that my Tweakui is out of date, too so I'll download a new one of those too.

My whole purpose in creating new users was to get away from using the Admin for day-to-day use and have an admin acct with only the bare functionalities in place and a limited user account for general use. I clearly did not know enough about what I was doing. I didn't bargain on losing access to what I already had in the process!

You guys are the greatest! I wanna be like you when I grow up! (I'm only in my 60's so far!)