PDA

View Full Version : Facts about the Auckland Harbour Bridge...

pcuser42
18-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I went on a bridge climb today, and learned a few facts about the bridge.

1. The clip on lanes move! This is caused by the weight of the traffic going over it. When the protesters were going across it 3 and a half years ago (I think), the guage under the bridge was too short to read the weight of the people! (There must have been a lot of fat people :p)
2. One guy was buried in one of the supports. He fell in, and the concrete set fast around him. It would cost a lot of money to dig him out, and it was in the foundation that held the main span up! He died (fortunatly!)
3. The road had to be closed and the clip on lanes remained open when the bungy jump pod was winched up underneath the bridge. The whole operation took 8 hours.
4. The concrete at the top of each support can be knocked down without the bridge moving (except for the clip ons - see 1). The reason for this is that people living on the North Shore thought the bridge looked weak with just the steel beams there. It wasn't in the origonal design.
5. The clip on lanes were designed by Japanese engineering students! Hopefully their teacher helped. :D
6. The bridge arch isn't in the middle because it was designed to be over the deepest part of the water. This was preparation for big ships coming through.
7. If the Sky Tower was laid on its side (a scary thought!), it would only go one third of the way across the Harbour Bridge. In other words, it would take 3 Sky Towers to cross the bridge.

pctek
18-01-2007, 05:27 PM
2. One guy was buried in one of the supports. He fell in, and the concrete set fast around him. It would cost a lot of money to dig him out, and it was in the foundation that held the main span up! He died (fortunatly!)

Urban Myth

motorbyclist
18-01-2007, 06:31 PM
i hear they have to replace the clip ons in 10 years or something... metal fatigue

anyone know if it's true or not?

pcuser42
18-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I hope not...

motorbyclist
18-01-2007, 06:41 PM
probably couldn't resource consent anyway! and it would take 5 times longer than the originals to build despite much more efficient/powerful construction machinery and survey technology etc

kenj
18-01-2007, 06:59 PM
My late Mum and I walked over it when it first opened. (1959) It was a windy day and it swayed a fair bit. Never forget things like that!!

Ken :)

pcuser42
18-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Dad went across in a pushchair! (He was only one year old)

kenj
18-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Makes me feel old. I pushed my 4 year old sister in her pushchair all the way over and back. I am 13 years older than her!

Ken

bob_doe_nz
18-01-2007, 09:46 PM
No 5:

The company was called Nippon I think. Hence the term "Nippon Clip-ons":stare:

motorbyclist
18-01-2007, 09:56 PM
No 5:

The company was called Nippon I think. Hence the term "Nippon Clip-ons":stare:

i thought nippon was the place in japan where they came from....

Laura
18-01-2007, 10:02 PM
No, it wasn't called Nippon.
That's just a generic name for "Japanese."
The construction firm had a lengthy Japanese name which I forget.

And the clip-on sections were supposed to last for about 50 years, I think - so I guess that's where the idea of replacement in 10 years comes from.

pcuser42
19-01-2007, 08:27 AM
The clip on lanes were also installed by Japanese!

Bryan
19-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Did you know that when the Nippon barges carrying the clip-ons arrived, they brought with them the Pacific Oyster younguns? They settled on the bottom of the bay and "went forth and multiplied". However I haven't heard of any being harvested recently, maybe the local iwi got them.

globe
19-01-2007, 09:55 AM
The construction firm had a lengthy Japanese name which I forget.

Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries (IHI for short)

Richard
19-01-2007, 10:40 AM
My daughter gave me a bridge climb for a birthday present a couple of years ago. I must admit it was quite an experience as I did it early in the morning, and there was only me and the guide. Parts of the climb were rather frightening, especially the climb up the outside of the arch, to where the flagpoles are. To see the underside of the bridge is fascinating, and to learn that some people spend their working life painting and repairing the structure. It surprised me too that the roadways move so much, especially when a truck crosses above you. It was a great experience and I recommend it to all.
By the way, I turned down the offer of a free bungy jump while I was under the bridge. My bravery has limits.

pcuser42
19-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I went, but I found the climb to the flagpoles fun! (Especially with cars zipping past you on both sides.)

bob_doe_nz
19-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Then can someone explain to me why we are not allowed to take our own cameras? Yet the staff can and charge you an exhorbant amount for it.

stu161204
19-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Then can someone explain to me why we are not allowed to take our own cameras?

I would guess its

A. a safety thing, think what would happen if some one would drop there camera on to the road below, it could hurt or even kill some one
B. to stop terrorist from scouting out the Harbour Bridge

my :2cents:

pcuser42
19-01-2007, 02:06 PM
It's just like an overbridge, people can throw stuff off it. :mad:

bob_doe_nz
19-01-2007, 05:24 PM
If I take a cellphone along, will they disallow it?

If I take a cellphone with a camera on it, will they disallow it?

roddy_boy
19-01-2007, 06:40 PM
It's a money making thing. Why else would they disallow cameras?

Antmannz
19-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Cellphones are disallowed. Anything that could drop or fall from your body is not allowed due to the danger if it fell on the roadway.

bob_doe_nz
19-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Cellphones are disallowed. Anything that could drop or fall from your body is not allowed due to the danger if it fell on the roadway.

And if it fell from one of the staff's hands... :D

motorbyclist
20-01-2007, 08:14 PM
obviously they don't want you taking a camera because that way they can charge you some ridiculous price for a photo