PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player Recommendations

DeSade
18-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi All

I need a MP3 player primarily for gym use so it would need to be able to take a few knocks and semi-rough treatment.

Probably want a minimum of 4gb and a max of 20gb

Please post your recommendations for models that will suit my requirements.
(links would be appreciated)

plod
18-01-2007, 02:24 PM
If it's for gym use you would really nees a flash based player and not a HDD one, which cuts out the 20gig straight away.
Price range?

DeSade
18-01-2007, 02:29 PM
If it's for gym use you would really nees a flash based player and not a HDD one, which cuts out the 20gig straight away.
Price range?

Price doesn't really matter at this stage
*EDIT*
Less that $1000

One other requirement I forgot to post, must have a very easy/reliable computer interface for song transfer

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 02:59 PM
You should be able to pick up a decent Flash based player with reliable GUI for around $250 for 2GB
http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/nzstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=447FDF85&nclm=iPodnano
There is also Creative, Sony etc.

DeSade
18-01-2007, 03:04 PM
You should be able to pick up a decent Flash based player with reliable GUI for around $250 for 2GB
http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/nzstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=447FDF85&nclm=iPodnano
There is also Creative, Sony etc.

I have not used one of those Ipods myself but they seem a little flimsy, are they stronger than they look?

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 03:07 PM
They are good as long as you don't sit on them. Most people tend to get and iPod arm band as a 3rd party accessory. I see a lot of women running with them. The Shuffle is probably quite good in the gym too.
I have the 30GB Video capable iPod and although I don't take it to the gym I find it is fine for everything else like listening to music.

DeSade
18-01-2007, 03:14 PM
They are good as long as you don't sit on them. Most people tend to get and iPod arm band as a 3rd party accessory. I see a lot of women running with them. The Shuffle is probably quite good in the gym too.
I have the 30GB Video capable iPod and although I don't take it to the gym I find it is fine for everything else like listening to music.

I am thinking pocket and run the cords up my t shirt, I will be using the weights room and on the arm would get in the way.

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Possibly a belt clip would be good in your situation and run the ear phone cord inside your shirt. There are accessories for the iPod to cover virtually any situation.

Speedy Gonzales
18-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Thats true altho theyre a tad expensive for the beltclip things.

I think this one costs round $60, for this Video Ipod.

Good tho, has the gaps for the wheel/headphone socket and interface.

Lucky the case was on when I dropped it on concrete, it wld have broken the screen.

I just keep the case on, and connect it with one of the spare USB cables.

plod
18-01-2007, 03:28 PM
the shuffle has a clip built in

DeSade
18-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Shuffle seems a little too small storage wise

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 04:02 PM
How many songs are in your collection?

DeSade
18-01-2007, 05:01 PM
How many songs are in your collection?

In total about 100gigs

Only want to carry around 4-6gig thou

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Then a Nano would suit you for the compact factor.

DeSade
18-01-2007, 05:26 PM
So ipod it is?
nothing else is worth while looking at?

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Well your most welcome to drop by your nearest stockist of Mp3 players and check out the selection for yourself.
The main things to consider when looking at MP3 players aside from price is:
ease of navigation around the menu
ease of transferring songs and synching play menus
ease for creating and editing new play menus
ease for transferring data between computers
clean UI
Large selection of 3rd party add ons for all car, self and home entertainment situations
Large product range
large range of compatible codecs including mp3,wav,aiff, apple lossless and aac
Music store has the biggest legal selection of music in the world that is easy to navigate and purchase

The iPod range is still the biggest range of MP3 players in the world with 100 million units sold to date.

DeSade
18-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Well I do know that nothing can compare to ipod in these

ease of navigation around the menu
ease of transferring songs and synching play menus
ease for creating and editing new play menus
ease for transferring data between computers
clean UI
Large selection of 3rd party add ons for all car, self and home entertainment situations
Large product range

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 05:43 PM
That would be why it would be the best overall.

kenj
18-01-2007, 05:50 PM
You guys left out the bit about music quality - a very important thing to me!

Ken

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Well Ken that would be the great thing about the freedom to choose. Personally I am quite happy with the sound from my iPod.

kenj
18-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Not pickin' on the ipod - just was amused at the list of requirements. I thought quality would come fairly close to the top of the list.

Ken ;)

DeSade
18-01-2007, 06:20 PM
You guys left out the bit about music quality - a very important thing to me!

Ken

So do you have a alternate recommendation to make?

ipod seems to be ahead right now but I am far from making a decision.

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Not pickin' on the ipod - just was amused at the list of requirements. I thought quality would come fairly close to the top of the list.

Ken ;)

Ah sorry, yes I did miss the sound quality although it was more the overall usability and design features that I was thinking of since they are what have made it the best selling device every year since its arrival on the market.

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 06:22 PM
DeSade, you should go into a store and demo a few models and see for your self maybe.

DeSade
18-01-2007, 06:32 PM
DeSade, you should go into a store and demo a few models and see for your self maybe.

hmmmmm
probably
haven't shopped in a store for a long time heh.

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 06:38 PM
best way to try them out. Most Apple guys would be happy to show you.

limepile
18-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I have iPod 40g..way too much storage for casual use, its hard to find anything quickly....I'd go for a flash drive @ 4gs...I'm going Zen next.

Erayd
18-01-2007, 09:49 PM
One word... Rockbox (http://rockbox.org/)

DeSade
18-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Why zen?

and rockbox looks rather complicated, and right now looking for a player before messing with the firmware/software.

Erayd
18-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Rockbox can be a little complicated, but it has these points very definitely in its favour:

1. Platform choice - you can run it on a lot of things, including most ipods.

2. Codecs - you can throw just about anything at it (except wma) and it will play.

3. Playlist management - Rockbox has extremely good playlist management.

4. Internal database management. This means you don't need an external program to manage the database (iTunes etc). Just copy the music to it like any other USB drive, and the player will pick it up next time you boot.

5. Skinnable - it can look however you want it to look. If you want to use an 8-point font, there's nothing stopping ya :D

6. Plugins - there are a huge number of plugins for Rockbox, and more keep being added. If you like such things, you can even play doom on it.

7. Power Use - Unlike just about any other MP3 player, Rockbox shuts down fully when you switch it off. This means that if you leave it for a couple of weeks, your battery won't be flat. The runtime can be a bit less than stock firmware though (due to needing to reverse-engineer the hardware it runs on) but it's getting better all the time.

8. Dual-boot - if you want to run the official firmware for your player, it's as simple as holding down a button when you switch it on. It will then load the official firmware for the player.

9. Fast text entry - instead of those annoying onscreen keyboards (although it does have those as well if you want them), you can enter text in morse code instead - much, much faster. (Text entry used for searching, playlists etc).

10. Full file management - Complete browse, copy, move, delete, rename, file properties, search etc etc. I have yet to see any other player that has this.

11. Support. Rockbox is extremely well supported by the developers. If a bug is found, it gets fixed fast. There are several non-trivial CVS commits per day, and there is a download image for every change in the source (there is also a daily image).

Do I sound like a Rockbox fan yet?

Disclaimer: I have an iriver H10 5GB running rockbox. If I had to make a recommendation, it would be an iPod Nano running Rockbox. It has all the iPod features, and if you decide you hate rockbox you still have a seriously nice player.

DeSade
19-01-2007, 06:53 AM
I'll have to check it out in more detail when I choose a player then.

muppet
20-01-2007, 02:39 AM
With all due respect to Apple's popularity and convenience, there are only a few models that do some decent work in the sound quality department.

If you're willing to forsake a bit of light-weightedness for good sound quality, iAudio's X5L (20GB) is a good choice. You might need a bit of time to get used to iAudio's interface, but once you've learnt the skills (and use it with a decent pair of cans/phones), you'll probably never go back to an iPod :)

Toshiba's Gigabeat (also 20GB) isn't bad either, although I have to confess that I know little about its interface because I merely listened to it.