PDA

View Full Version : Vista OEM pricing....Ultimate edition NZ$348

Master_Frost
18-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I am not trying to start a 500 response thread concerning if you like Vista or not (we have enough of those), just OEM pricing.

http://www.pp.co.nz/Software-OEM.php

Not sure about Vista OEM licensing, suspect it still can't be sold without hardware (bootable device).

Feel free to add other links

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 12:16 PM
LOL! It is not a matter of "liking" Vista, but more a matter of whether there is actually any need or "Holly Cow Wow factor" to warrant an upgrade or buying a new machine to run it other than to put money in Microsoft's wallet because you feel obliged to.

noone
18-01-2007, 12:39 PM
....Here we go again

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I'll keep a look out for anything mentioning Vista pricing,

paulw
18-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Even if it was $10 I wouldn't be buying into this bloatware..

Master_Frost
18-01-2007, 12:55 PM

thanks for you really useful comment, I personally am not a Vista fan "yet" and I dual boot it.

With many "upgrade" prices floating around like $700+ just thought people might like to know OEM prices.

can we stay on track

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I think the general consensus could be just to stick with XP.

Master_Frost
18-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I think the general consensus could be just to stick with XP.

unbelievable :rolleyes:

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I think you covered it when you said
I personally am not a Vista fan "yet" and I dual boot it.

Master_Frost
18-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I think you covered it when you said

shut up dude, this is a pricing thread go troll somewhere else

Biggles
18-01-2007, 01:07 PM
He kids. Let's keep it civil. Who'd have thought a piece of software could excite such passion. Hate to see what you guys do when you dicuss religion, politics or sport .....

Master_Frost
18-01-2007, 01:24 PM
He kids. Let's keep it civil. Who'd have thought a piece of software could excite such passion. Hate to see what you guys do when you dicuss religion, politics or sport .....

lol as you can see from my first post I anticipated a large amount of comments from the "Anti Vista" posse, mention "Vista" and it awakens all sorts of passions.

Some times you have to be a little harsh to stop threads becoming complete pee pond of drivel :xmouth:

Any probs just delete the thread, rather see that than another huge thread on the Cons of Vista, Just though a few people might like to see OEM pricing and discuss it.

Biggles
18-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Any probs just delete the thread, rather see that than another huge thread on the Cons of Vista, Just though a few people might like to see OEM pricing and discuss it.

I don't think it's too much to expect to have people stay on track and not hijack your thread with endless anti-vista ranting. Amazingly, for some people it seems to require more physical effort NOT to post than it does to post. Not quite sure what the evolutionary advantage there is ...

Trev
18-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Ascent have pricing for Vista Upgrade versions. Can you upgrade from XP to Vista.?

http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=83

Trevor :)

lagbort
18-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Can you upgrade from XP to Vista.?

Trevor :)

Yes you can, but not from all versions of windows xp to all versions of vista ie:

Xp professional can only be upgraded to Vista Business or Ultimate without a clean install.

Xp Home can be upgraded to any version of Vista

Greg
18-01-2007, 03:06 PM
thanks for you really useful commentHere's another one... Vista sucks. It sucked from it's inception and it'll suck until the day it dies. And thanks big time for the offer to add links. I didn't know it was open season.

pctek
18-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Interesting. Bet thats from Tech Pacific.

My supplier for O/Ss (Synnex) don't have their pricing available until end of the month.

Not too bad really, considering the disgusting retail price.

plod
18-01-2007, 03:22 PM
It would almost be cheaper to but the dirtiest new pc you could find and recieve the voucher for the cheap upgrade and use the new pc for a (add your poison)

allblack
18-01-2007, 03:29 PM
LOL! It is not a matter of "liking" Vista, but more a matter of whether there is actually any need or "Holly Cow Wow factor" to warrant an upgrade or buying a new machine to run it other than to put money in Microsoft's wallet because you feel obliged to.

Go blow elsewhere and take your anti-Microsoft baggage with you.

Put up or Shut up.

allblack
18-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Sorry Bruce! :p

But......can only take so much.

AB

Biggles
18-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Here's another one... Vista sucks. It sucked from it's inception and it'll suck until the day it dies. And thanks big time for the offer to add links. I didn't know it was open season.

Well gee Greg. I guess I mustn't have expressed myself too clearly above. Gotta apologise for being such a poor comunnicator I guess.

So let's try that again. If you aren't interested in the thread topic - which contrary to the poor comprehension skills of some people is NOT "Isn't Vista Wonderful" or it's companion "Wow Vista Sucks" - then why not just do everyone a failure and not post, thus letting those who are interested have a meaningful dialogue without having to content with the scattershot venom of those who who can't see the word "Vista" without getting a serious rush of blood going from the brain to the fingers.

qazwsxokmijn
18-01-2007, 03:45 PM
The only things I want Vista for is the cool memory thing that watches my PC-using behaviour and record it into the memory and the Aero interface and new themes.

But obviously that is not worth $500+, so I'll just wait for when an opportunity arise......

JJJJJ
18-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Now after all those replies I have't seen an answer to the original question.

What's the price for Vista OEM?????

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Jack:
It depends on what version of the product you're after, Ultimate? Business? Home?

Its priced quite reasonably by comparison to the current XP OEM prices around...

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Go blow elsewhere and take your anti-Microsoft baggage with you.

Put up or Shut up.

Actually I was just comparing it to XP which seems perfectly suitable doing what it does now, but I am not back to hi-jack the post.

Metla
18-01-2007, 06:03 PM
BOOM.....HEADSHOT111

noone
18-01-2007, 08:41 PM
BOOM.....HEADSHOT111

LOL

CYaBro
18-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Here's the question though... How long after Vista is released will we still be able to buy XP OEM versions? Should I be stocking up now?

somebody
18-01-2007, 09:15 PM
If any of you are tertiary students at an approved institute, studying courses in a department which is enrolled in the MSDNAA programme (http://www.microsoft.com/nz/students/msdnaa.mspx), you are eligible for a FREE, legal copy of Windows Vista Business, for non-commercial purposes (which you may continue using even after you leave the tertiary institution, provided it is for non-commercial purposes).

techie
19-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Just out of interest, has anyone actually tried getting one? Does it only take an e-mail to them to ask for a copy and they'll send one to you!?

somebody
19-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I got a copy of XP Pro a while back - you need to ask the person in charge of administering the MSDNAA programme at the university/polytech. They'll loan you the CD(s) which you can borrow for a couple of days, and give you a licence key. You also have to sign a waiver saying that you will not use it for commercial purposes, and you will not distribute the CD or Licence key. I suspect the procedures will be the same for Vista.

Otherwise, email you "Microsoft Student Partner" http://www.microsoft.com/nz/students/ambassadors/default.mspx for specific information, as procedures vary from institution to institution.

Cicero
19-01-2007, 04:34 PM
BOOM.....HEADSHOT111
You must admit Met,the Australians had something when they came up with the word.....Drongo.

Twelvevolts
20-01-2007, 09:09 AM
That is cheaper than I thought it would be and after using it for a while now (inside VMware) I think an upgrade might be worth a go as I'm hooked on InkBall (well there are probably other reasons but damn that game is addictive).

Then we have the interesting issue of the 64 bit versus 32 bit. Think it is a bit early to buy the 64 bit version but down the road this will probably be the only version worth having and it seems it will be more secure (or should I say the security on the 32 bit version won't be maintained to the same standard). So presumably the 64 bit version is on the same DVD for a later upgrade.

Greven
20-01-2007, 11:23 AM
presumably the 64 bit version is on the same DVD for a later upgrade.

I'm afraid that is not the case. You can probably use your 32bit key with a 64bit version, but they don't have room for both versions on 1 DVD & they aren't including both DVDs - you have to buy the one you want.

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Ive seen a DVD with both 64 & 32-bit versions...

somebody
20-01-2007, 06:47 PM
I was told that if you purchase a Retail copy of Vista, they will include both 32 and 64bit disks in the same package.

sroby
22-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Remember when Win ME came out. It was all good reveiws by the mags etc.
Now its universally acknowledged that it was a disaster.

How many people would really be interested in Vista if it didnt have the new 'gee wiz' desktop.

The emperor has no clothes

paulw
22-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I was told that if you purchase a Retail copy of Vista, they will include both 32 and 64bit disks in the same package.

That would account for the DVD image for being 2.2Gig..

somebody
22-01-2007, 08:20 PM
That would account for the DVD image for being 2.2Gig..

Not on the same disk though!!! They ship two disks, one is 32bit and one is 64bit, however each disk contains the all 5(?) editions of Vista.

paulw
23-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Not on the same disk though!!! They ship two disks, one is 32bit and one is 64bit, however each disk contains the all 5(?) editions of Vista.

I think it is the same version. The key code is what decides what version it is when you install.

Chilling_Silence
23-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Correct, you dont even have to input a serial key during installation! The installation application will simply warn you that if you've selected the wrong version for your key that when you go to enter it later on within the next 30 days, it'll ask you to format so you can use the _correct_ version for your key...

IRMoon
23-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Geesh I bet all you clowns going "Vista sucks" were all going "XP Sucks" about 5 years ago...

Anyhoo... Getting to the point... Thanks heaps for the link there Master_Frost. I found it useful if no-one else did. I was running a PC that I was gifted with an illegal XP on it so installed the Vista RC1, and liked it enough that I will probably be buying it before the RC runs out. So CHEEEERS!

Hitech
23-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Does anybody know the price of vista home edition.

somebody
23-01-2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_14.html?g=197

Home basic = $155
Home premium = 165

JJJJJ
23-01-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_14.html?g=197

Home basic = $155
Home premium = 165

Home premium at $165 is Academic upgrade

Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre SP2, 3 Pack, for x86 (32-bit) systems, OEM $602.78
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Academic, Upgrade, DVD $174.90
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic, Upgrade, DVD $229.43
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Upgrade, DVD $305.71
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, Upgrade, DVD $559.47

somebody
23-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Oh ok... so more expensive then - should have investigated further before posting.

RealBigDog
25-01-2007, 02:50 PM
A pricing thread, by it's nature, is encouraging people to buy a product, and encouraging people to buy vista is doing your fellow pc users a huge disservice.

From ajbright:

By Microsofts own admission, the HDCP (high definition content protection) DRM imbedded in Vista will

1/Significantly slow the OS down, requiring expensive investment just to maintain the same speed your PC had under Windows XP.
2/Reduce the resolution of all video output to 640x480 if the system "thinks" you are attempting to play "pirated" high def movies.
3/Will not play high definition movies at all if you don't have the required HDCP video card and the supporting monitor - which means purchasing a non-existant HDMI supporting monitor, only overpriced LCD TVs have this input.
4/If the system detects voltage fluctuations, it will cease all video output, e.g. if your video card alters its power requirements as it churns out more intensive graphics it will effectively stop whatever movie you are watching, requiring you to wait for the hardware to be re-initialised and then press play again throughout the movie.
5/Will not support HD audio to any current audio chipset, standard audio outputs and spdif will not be supported, you will require HDMI style HDCP or the use of the extemely rare HDMI compatible sound receiver.

And that's just the stuff we know about. Microsoft say they must do this in order to continue to get Hollywood's support and content. They claim that new laws will eventually require all operating systems to include these resource limiting and processor intensive DRM functions in place.

--------------------
and if you're STILL considering buying Vista, make sure you have at minimum a 3000+ processor and 2gb of ram.