PDA

View Full Version : Yet another forlorn hope - Books this time

Morgenmuffel
15-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi all

After reading BillyTs thread, i decided to post this one

Many years ago when i was a lad, my parents had a pile of old books that i enjoyed reading, infact three of my favourite books were from this pile

anyhow to cut a long story short, my parents sent the lot to the op shop when they moved home, so if any of you frequent second hand book stores could you keep a lookout for any of these books

1) The First and the Last by Adolph Galland
Autobiography of a german world war 2 pilot, who rose from a pilot to General of the german fighter arm, absolutely fascinating and very readable, and also quite scary when you realise that in some cases the one thing that stopped the german airforce succeeding in the war was Hitlers intervention and his changing things to what he thought was best against the advice of his generals
2) Around the World in a Baby Austin by Hector McQuarrie
My memories of this one are a bit sketchy, but 2 kiwis set out to travel the world in a baby Austin, it's a true story from the 1930s, i think on their first attempt the boat they were on sank taking their car with it, then they finally got started on their trip they went through the middle east and germany just as Hitler was rising to prominence they also went to Britain where the Austin was refitted by the Morris works and met Herbert? morris who ran the car works in the UK.
3) Don Camillo Omnibus - Giovannino Guareschi
A book of loads of short stories about the escapades of an Italian priest and the local communist party chief, set in post second World War italy, hummourous little stories with a basic morality to them

My Budget is limited to about $5 a book, but if you do see any of these books let me know as I may be able to stretch the budget a bit

Cheera

Laura
15-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Nigel, I also enjoyed the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi very much.

There were 5 or 6 altogether, I think, but the most famous was the first - The Little World of Don Camillo. It was filmed, though I don't know if it came to NZ.
Your Omnibus edition probably had 2 or 3 books in it. I only ever read them separately years ago.
I Googled & saw several listings about the author. The most informative-looking - at first glance - was No. 2 on the list.
I buy quite a few 2nd-hand books. Will keep my eyes open for you.
(2 copies of Little World on TradeMe at present - $4 & $5 - but there'll be more options if you wait)

Morgenmuffel
15-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Laura

I didn't even think to look at trademe, doh

I had tried looking for the TV series (Brian Blessed was Peppone apparently) but couldn't find it for sale anywhere, anyway I'll keep an eye on trademe
Thanks

edit

Dammit "The First and the Last" is on trademe to, it even looks like my old book hopefully the price will stay low

John H
15-01-2007, 10:35 PM
(snip)

I find AbeBooks is usually a really good site to check out www.abebooks.com
Even if only to find out what price bracket a book might be in... There are quite a few NZ booksellers who list on AbeBooks, and you can do an advanced search by country to see if you can get the book locally.

1) The First and the Last by Adolph Galland
There is one copy showing on AbeBooks priced $US50... There is a second copy in French (if I have got it right) @$US66. Ouch.

2) Around the World in a Baby Austin by Hector McQuarrie
No listings on AbeBooks.

3) Don Camillo Omnibus - Giovannino Guareschi
There are lots of Don Camillo books on AbeBooks, but no Omnibus edition.

If you are near a Hard to Find Books, they are pretty good value as a source. I have done a search on their website http://www.hardtofind.co.nz/ and found none of the books, but an email or visit may be more useful - I have often doubted whether their web based stock list is up to date. There used to be heaps of the Don Camillo books in second hand shops, but I don't recall seeing either of the other two. Good luck.

pctek
16-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Yep ABE books is the way to go.
Also Amazon.com - there are a lot of second hand books there now too, and you just use the normal Amazon methid of ordering and the 2nd hand shop sends it out to you.

Winston001
16-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a couple of the Don Camillo books but sorry Nigel, they aren't for sale. I'd simply give them to you if they were surplus.

I read the Adolf Galland book as a lad, along with Reach for the Sky (Bader) etc etc. It is an excellent biography - the Invercargill Public Library has it - Biography 940.544943 GAL

Morgenmuffel
16-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I read the Adolf Galland book as a lad, along with Reach for the Sky (Bader) etc etc. It is an excellent biography - the Invercargill Public Library has it - Biography 940.544943 GAL
Hi Winston

Well thats interesting, as i had enquired about it at the library a few years ago, and they didn't have it, i'll definitely have to go and grab it,
PS I think i forgot to thank you for the Salford pics, so thanks for them:thumbs:

SurferJoe46
17-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Nigel, if you want me to look for those titles on this shore (US), let me know, as I have a lot of free time and would really like the challenge.

If I find anything you want at one of our lending libraries, I could scan the contents for you and e-mail them.

Some of our junior colleges have these books online for reading too...all one needs is a student ID#, which I have.

Let me know.

sarel
17-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Nigel

I'm also a very avid reader and will also keep a lookout for these - have read them as well in my early years. Probably need to read them again because the brain isn't what it's supposed to be

LOL

sarel

John H
17-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I have checked the ChCh Public Libraries for you, given the other responses you have had. The Don Camillo Omnibus and the Galland book are both there, but there is no record of the McQuarrie. Have you got the author's name correct?

The Omnibus includes the following books, which you may be able to source separately: The little world of Don Camillo.--Don Camillo and the prodigal son.--Comrade Don Camillo.

Note that the author's name is Giovanni, not the way you spelled it. The ChCh Library Catalogue is very literal, and it brings up no results using your spelling! I wonder if the abebooks site did the same thing to me. Will re-check.

John H
17-01-2007, 09:43 AM
There are 21 copies of books by Guareschi on abebooks that can be sourced from NZ booksellers, but as I noted earlier, no Omnibus editions. Books'n'Print in Invergiggle have got The little world of Don Camillo at $US14.32, and Don Camillo and the prodigal son at $US25.07. Who knows, if you approach them directly you might get them cheaper?

Morgenmuffel
17-01-2007, 12:14 PM
but there is no record of the McQuarrie. Have you got the author's name correct?

Actually I think it may be spelled MacQuarrie

Note that the author's name is Giovanni, not the way you spelled it. The ChCh Library Catalogue is very literal, and it brings up no results using your spelling! I wonder if the abebooks site did the same thing to me. Will re-check.

Thanks for that
His actual name was the way I spelt it but apparently it was changed to Giovanni on the books so it wouldn't confuse english speakers, thanks for picking that up (and Laura), as i have probably sent a few people on wild goose chases

John H
17-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Actually I think it may be spelled MacQuarrie

Indeed you are correct. There are a million books on abebooks by Hector MacQuarrie! (aren't computers and catalogues frustrating? whatever happened to fuzzy logic?).

There are 10 copies of Around the world in a baby Austin, one of which is at SeaBreeze Books in Palmerston North for $US35.81. The cheapest copy is $US35 at a Tassie bookshop, but the shipping costs from Palm Nth are probably cheaper than from Tas.

Looks like the library and interloan are the thing if your budget is $NZ5 per book!:groan:

Morgenmuffel
17-01-2007, 12:56 PM
There are 10 copies of Around the world in a baby Austin, one of which is at SeaBreeze Books in Palmerston North for $US35.81. The cheapest copy is $US35 at a Tassie bookshop, but the shipping costs from Palm Nth are probably cheaper than from Tas.

Looks like the library and interloan are the thing if your budget is $NZ5 per book!:groan:
Wow, i was expecting all these old books to be a few dollars at the most, I'll have to have a good grumble at my parents about getting rid of my original ones

John H
17-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I am a bit surprised myself, because I recall the Don Camillo books being cheap and nasty editions on that paper that doesn't last too well. However, I am remembering paperbacks I think, whereas the abebooks ones may be hardcover.

The prices must be a supply and demand thing - no doubt there are other Nigels around the world thinking "I would really love to read/own those books I remember so fondly from my childhood/adolescence"...

But I know what you mean about people getting rid of your things... Great grandfather leaking the family farm away down the drain at the local boozer is the worst, but I have yet to forgive my wife for putting my original swandri into a Playcentre fundraising sale without asking me first... :mad:

Morgenmuffel
30-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Well an update, I just had the "The little world of Don Camillo" book arrive today and am enjoying being reacquainted with an old friend, thank all

if anyone spots any of the other books mentioned for around the $5 mark let me know

Thanks again

zqwerty
30-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Available on the web:

http://www.meaning-of-life.info/DonCamillo.html

and .pdf here:

http://vajrang.tripod.com/world/world.html

jcr1
31-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Nigel, I also enjoyed the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi very much.

There were 5 or 6 altogether, I think, but the most famous was the first - The Little World of Don Camillo. It was filmed, though I don't know if it came to NZ.

Yes, the film did come to NZ and I remember as a boy going to see it with my grandparents at the State Theatre in New Plymouth. It would've been in the '50s and I would've been about 7 or 8 at the time.