PDA

View Full Version : Laptop battery/powerpoint

Strummer
15-01-2007, 10:00 AM
My laptop is connected to the mains and I want to take it to another room where has to be run on battery..........Should I shut down the laptop first, or can I just pull the AC connector out from the side of the laptop and run it from there?

The same question replies when connecting it back on the mains. I would guess that I would have to restart it so the laptop knows it no longer needs to run on battery?

Thanks
Strummer

Sherman
15-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Nah, don't worry about shutting it down.

OS's and laptops are intelligent enough to know when the plug has been pulled, and will switch to battery automatically, and the laptop will continue on running on battery without complaint.

Same thing for plugging back in, don't warry about shutting it down.

winmacguy
15-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I think your generally pretty safe if you just unplug and shift it.

johcar
15-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Provided the battery is in place (and has sufficient charge) when you unplug the machine from the mains, there should be no need to shut it down. Just handle it gently - the HDD is spinning when it is running, so there is potential for damage if it is bumped hard or dropped. However, this said, I move my Tosh all the time in this manner - haven't had an issue yet. :)

Plugging and unplugging from the mains while the machine is running should be fine.

The laptop should have enough smarts to know whether it is plugged into the mains or running off battery, and should swap between these modes automatically.

If you are really concerned, put it into Hibernate mode before moving it.

Strummer
15-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Great. Thanks guys. This is a very helpful forum.

Graham L
15-01-2007, 03:20 PM
However, it's safest to shut it down.