PDA

View Full Version : Core 2 Duo system upgrade

Nyuuji
15-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi, haven't posted here for a while now, but I am interested in ppls recommendations for upgrading. Searched the net but seemed to be a different answer on nearly all the review sites, which made me just more confused.

I have decided that my old AGP 9200SE graphics card just does not cut the mustard anymore (hasn't cut it for quite a while now). I wish to upgrade to a pci-e card, but this means the motherboard needs replacing, almost everything will get upgraded (bar case,optical drive and psu). I don't need bleeding edge stuff ($$$), quite happy with mid range technology. For example, was looking at something like this..

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1223

and adding this video card...
http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1474

Any views and recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you.

Master_Frost
15-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Do you wish to overclock or stay at stock speeds?

Reason for asking is C2D overclocks extremely well, but it is important with board and ram considerations.

Master_Frost
15-01-2007, 11:40 AM
actually having a look

I have this exact mobo and processor. It is good sold board at "stock" speeds nothing much more to say. If you want to O/C hitting 3.0-3.3gig ish, it should be no problem with that either. Do NOT buy ram below DDR667, I cannot stress this enough if you ever want to O/C.

I would recommend trying to squeeze a 7900GS, as the 7600GT is already struggling with many of the latest games (depending on resolution/quality setting of course).

Nyuuji
15-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I have no real need for overclocking.
The pc is mostly used for surfing, mail etc, but my boys like to play the new games, i.e Battlefield 2142 and Dark Crusade.

The case is Thermaltake Swing with a 430W psu, and a LG DVD-RW optical drive.

Master_Frost
15-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I have no real need for overclocking.
The pc is mostly used for surfing, mail etc, but my boys like to play the new games, i.e Battlefield 2142 and Dark Crusade.

The case is Thermaltake Swing with a 430W psu, and a LG DVD-RW optical drive.

The board and CPU are a great combo, so you can't go wrong. There are cheaper boards around based on the 945 chipset but I don't recommend it.

Just keep in mind in 2 years when games have moved forward, overclocking that processor will be both free and relatively easy which could get you another year or two out of it, just a thought something to consider.

i would still go for a better video card if you can squeeze it, both those games are late 2006, who knows what you may take a liking to in the future.

pctek
15-01-2007, 12:00 PM

and adding this video card...
http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1474

Fine.
As for the graphics, I agree with Master Frost - the 7900 is better, BF2142 isn't exactly a low end game....

SolMiester
15-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi, not sure on your revision of the Mobo, however, Micron memory can have issues with this board, check what memory modules they are...

Ref & review of this board with latest BIOS here (http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2902)

I personally would try to get a faster grahics card too, however you will do okay with the 7600GT

Master_Frost
15-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi, not sure on your revision of the Mobo, however, Micron memory can have issues with this board, check what memory modules they are...

Ref & review of this board with latest BIOS here (http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2902)

I personally would try to get a faster graphics card too, however you will do okay with the 7600GT

That issue eliminated with the F3 bios, they are shipping with at least F6 theese days.

With the F7 bios D9 450 FSB issue was eliminated for extreme overclocking (which is not relevant here).

no need to look into this.

Nyuuji
15-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Thats for your input guys.
I'll go with the combo in first link, but make sure I get some decent quaility ram to go with it. And I'll also go with the 7900GS, as it is not that much more.

One last question though. As with most graphic cards, there are many makes with the same model numbers. In this case the 7900GS. I was thinking of the "Inno" brand, but also see that Asus, Microstar, Foxconn, Leadtek, Galaxy, Pixelview etc make the same model. Is the only difference between them what is included in the package?

Master_Frost
15-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Thats for your input guys.
I'll go with the combo in first link, but make sure I get some decent quaility ram to go with it. And I'll also go with the 7900GS, as it is not that much more.

One last question though. As with most graphic cards, there are many makes with the same model numbers. In this case the 7900GS. I was thinking of the "Inno" brand, but also see that Asus, Microstar, Foxconn, Leadtek, Galaxy, Pixelview etc make the same model. Is the only difference between them what is included in the package?

95%+ of Nvidia based cards are reference design so there is very little difference apart from the quality of the fan and perhaps warranty.

The top Enthusiast brands world wide are eVGA and XFX as they usually use there own designed coolers (better than nVidia reference design), but they are barely sold in NZ.

Shop for price and warranty basically.

Nyuuji
15-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok, cheers Masterfrost

CYaBro
15-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I can source XFX graphics cards in NZ no worries :thumbs:

PedalSlammer
15-01-2007, 06:49 PM
XFX and eVGA are better than MSI? I mean the 8800GTX version.

Master_Frost
16-01-2007, 07:18 AM
XFX and eVGA are better than MSI? I mean the 8800GTX version.

I know the first models from eVGA and XFX were just standard reference design, since eVGA has released another 8800GTX with slightly modified fan and factory overclocked.

If you are thinking about buying one, best google it and look up some reviews.

SolMiester
16-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I know the first models from eVGA and XFX were just standard reference design, since eVGA has released another 8800GTX with slightly modified fan and factory overclocked.

If you are thinking about buying one, best google it and look up some reviews.

I didnt think Nvidia allowed this model to be factory clocked?

Master_Frost
16-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I didnt think Nvidia allowed this model to be factory clocked?

Yea that was the rumor

however

http://sg.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4433

Jams
16-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Gigabyte brand are usually the most trustworthy. As of recently they have started to use Zalman heatsinks on their cards which work VERY well. Gigabyte usually come with better warranties and the wait time is usually quicker to have a card excahnged or repaired as suppliers of gigabyte more often than not support forward replacements.

Nyuuji
18-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Update: Here is what I brought & installed

CPU: Core 2 Duo 6400
Mainboard: Azus P5B
Memory: Corsair 1GB DDR2 675 Dual kit
GPU: XFX GeForce 7900GS 256MB
HD: Seagate 250GB SATA2 NCQ

also added a Azus "Silent Knight" cooler for the processor.

And got a new monitor aswell - 19" Azus VW192T Wide screen 5ms

So everything is looking a lot nicer now, just got to install the kids games again.
I might even give that Battlefield 2142 or (whatever it was called) a go myself.
Should be better than Wolfenstein.:thumbs:

Twelvevolts
20-01-2007, 07:43 AM
I bought that package from XP Computers but upgraded to the E 6600 which XP Computers did with no problem (for a price of course). They were good to deal with and reading reviews of the motherboard recently in PC User, it looks like an excellent deal to me and I never regretted taking the plunge.

I went for the 7900GS as well which I think was a $150 - probably not for the serious gamer but pretty good for almost everything else.

System has run like a dream since - the Core Duo is worth the investment.

plod
20-01-2007, 08:10 AM
I bought that package from XP Computers but upgraded to the E 6600 which XP Computers did with no problem (for a price of course). They were good to deal with and reading reviews of the motherboard recently in PC User, it looks like an excellent deal to me and I never regretted taking the plunge.

I went for the 7900GS as well which I think was a $150 - probably not for the serious gamer but pretty good for almost everything else.

System has run like a dream since - the Core Duo is worth the investment.
:thumbs: