http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

check it out,the official blog says new zealand maps have been updated:

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/09/huge_update_to.html

FoxyMX
14-01-2007, 04:57 PM
check it out,the official blog says new zealand maps have been updated:

Auckland and Wellington only. :(

And the Wellington "improvements" don't sound that crash-hot either:

For Wellington, New Zealand, it is different imagery, but it is not any higher resolution, and it is definitely older, the 2 building sites complete with cranes either side of my place that were there in the old imagery have reverted back to carparks again. The georeferencing also appears to be different, for example the pin for my house is now on the neighbours place. The colours also look more washed out. A step backwards I'm afraid.

And it's only Wellington City itself that has changed, the missing bits from the Hutt and Porirua are still MIA. The copyright notice is now Wellington City Council, so I guess that explains things a bit.

Scouse
14-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Lance*. Downloaded and updated. Similar to Foxy's comments - photographs of rural Nelson are still slightly more than three years old.

brig
15-01-2007, 08:44 AM
<<Auckland and Wellington only. :( >>

Not only Auckland and Wellington, large parts of the Coromandel Peninsula that were previously a fuzzy blur are now brilliant....including my house in Whitianga.:thumbs:

Trev
15-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes Napier were I live isn't updated either.

Trevor :)

lance4k
15-01-2007, 11:54 AM
hey anyone who has the previous version of google earth,is their an update feature where it checks to updates? If so,does it tell you there is a newer version out?

oldgit
17-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I have a previous version so will start it and let you know (currently downloading v4)

oldgit
17-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Interesting, currently installed version (v3.0.0762) says no updates available! (not installed v4 yet). Yet I can now see my brothers house whereas it was part of a huge blur last year!

lance4k
17-01-2007, 04:08 PM
so when u loaded the previous version of google earth did a pop automatically popup telling you that a new version was NOT available? Or did u have to manually check for updates inside google earth?

Interesting, currently installed version (v3.0.0762) says no updates available! (not installed v4 yet). Yet I can now see my brothers house whereas it was part of a huge blur last year!

TideMan
17-01-2007, 09:24 PM
As a result of this thread, I updated today and now have Version 4.0.2722 dated Jan 5 2007. Previous one was also Version 4.xxx dated Oct 2006. I can't see any difference.
And yes, I had to manually download it. But then it wasn't a major upgrade and the new file was 14 MB, so I'd prefer to do that manually.

Jen
17-01-2007, 10:30 PM
My Linux version has a "check for updates" option which I just used. Got told a new version was available and it downloaded it for me. You still have to install it yourself though.