PDA

View Full Version : Recycle Bin developed a mind of its own

Laura
13-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I was surprised to notice my Recycle Bin was empty, but as I've been slack about doing majorclean-ups recently, decided I must've forgotten emptying it.
So I've just done a biggie - heaps of temp files etc - including a couple of videos from the old hard disk saved in this machine from my previous one (Audited E).
Now I see that the Recycle Bin contains those only.

Obviously something has changed to make the R/B empty itself automatically, but only of stuff deleted from C drive.
I used ccleaner this time, but also have EasyCleaner, so may have used that last time.

Do I look first in those software settings or elsewhere to change this?
(Too risky to keep it that way)

XP HomeSP2

Jen
13-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Bit unclear here. You deleted some files and they are now in the Recycle Bin, but only the files you deleted from the C drive are in it? The files from the other drive are not?

You should look at the settings of both your cleaning applications and see if they have "empty recycle bin" on shutdown or similar set. For an experiment, you could reboot the machine now and then see if the files are still in the Recycle Bin.

Laura
13-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough, Jen.

I deleted files from the C drive (lots) and E drive (only 3)
The Recycle Bin shows only the 3 from E.
Several reboots show no change.

I haven't yet had time to search for the "Empty... on shutdown" settings on the 2 cleaning programs yet.
(I'm aware such things exist somewhere, but have never ticked them)

But if that's that's the cause, wouldn't it have deleted everything - not just from one drive?

Laura
13-01-2007, 07:23 PM
An update -
But firstly, a mea culpa...
I was being dense about why a cleaner deleted from only i drive. I'd forgotten that I'd made the old E drive deletions manually. Grrrr.

As for my 2 cleaners-
EasyCleaner has 2 delete options:
1) Recycle Bin
2) Permanent delete
Recycle Bin is chosen.

I have searched ccleaner without success for an "Empty R/C...on shutdown" or similar setting.
There are options to add it to the Recycle Bin etc but not what I'm looking for.
Anyone else with better eyes?

zqwerty
13-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Laura, if I may be so bold, I would never have auto deleting at shut down from the recycle bin, IMHO that is a recipe for disaster. Many times I have been saved by the two step process inherent within the Windows recycle bin. For instance if one deletes more than one file from the desktop and uses shift whilst selecting more than one to save time, will also select all the icons on the lines selected, it is very easy to delete shortcuts off the desktop inadvertently in this way without even noticing, try it if you don't believe me.

Now, adding ccleaner shortcuts to the recycle bin (a good idea) means that at shutdown time one can open the bin, check that nothing valued is going forever then right click and run ccleaner thus emptying the bin and cleaning the computer to the level you require, at least that is how I do it.

Laura
14-01-2007, 12:14 AM
zqwerty:
I couldn't agree with you more that such auto-deleting at shutdown is a recipe for disaster.

I've never wanted that to happen, so have carefully steered away from that option - or so I thought until now.
But the non-appearance of stuff which should have been in my Recycle Bin after a big clean-up is what prompted this thread.
I wondered if some setting had been accidentally changed to auto-delete - and if so, how to get rid of it.
(Note the last line in my first post -
"Too risky to keep it that way.")

I am in fact very cagey about deletions & occasionally some files stay in the Bin for ages until I'm sure they can be safely dumped. A real expert would probably call me over-cautious, but I'm aware that fingers can slip sometimes....

The only reason I want to know the whereabouts of such a ccleaner setting is to make sure it hasn't become ticked in error.
Thanks for your concern.

And I'm still wondering.

zqwerty
14-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Very large files which are deleted do not show in the recycle bin but I am used to getting a warning if this is going to happen, the warning is something about ~ "the files being deleted are too big for the recycle bin and so will be deleted without appearing in the bin" maybe this is what has occurred in your case, do you remember this warning.

I can't see any option in ccleaner to delete bin at shutdown only when the cleaner is run.

SurferJoe46
14-01-2007, 04:22 AM
If I read this question correctly, what comes to mind is a change in default settings for CCleaner.

There are options to let it run at START-UP, and then you could have it toggled to clear out the Recycle Bin at that time too...

It's all there in the settings area....

Open CCleaner and in: CLEANER, check to see if (in WINDOWS TAB) down in the SYSTEM, you have EMPTY RECYCLE BIN checked or not. Take your choice here.

Then, in OPTIONS>>RUN WHEN COMPUTER STARTS has an option there too.

I don't like to have that checked...it slows the boot time a lot and I want control of the RECYCLE BIN myself.

I cannot remember any version that had CCleaner run at shutdown, only start-up.

Jen
14-01-2007, 08:21 AM
I cannot remember any version that had CCleaner run at shutdown, only start-up.When I asked about that option (or similar) I wasn't saying that CCleaner actually had it - just something like that could do it.

Laura, how are you deleting the files from the C drive? Manually?

Create a document on the C drive and save it. Now delete it as per normal. Watch very carefully the wording of the confirmation message.

If it says:
Are you sure you want to send <filename> to the Recycle Bin? - then check to see if the delete file is now in the Recycle Bin.

If it said:
Are you sure you want to delete filename? - then the file will bypass the Recycle Bin.

If you got the later message, then right click on the Recycle Bin > Properties. Make sure the "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" check box is clear. Click OK.

Scouse
14-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi Laura. Wild card - but is you keyboard all awell? The only time I had files delete completely was when I had several sticky keys. If the Shift key is held down or stuck when you press the delete key you get the second of Jen's suggested responses.

Graham L
14-01-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't think that it has developed a "mind of its own". The system has done exactly what it has been told to do.
Older files are also removed from the Recycle Bin when newer files are deleted and the Recycle Bin exceeds the maximum size allocated in Recycle Bin properties.This is what Microsoft says it's supposed to do. It seems to work. :eek:

So look for the simplest reason first. It's not CCleaner. It's Windows.

FoxyMX
14-01-2007, 03:52 PM
So look for the simplest reason first. It's not CCleaner. It's Windows.

Doesn't sound like it. If Windows was removing files from the Recycle Bin as newer ones went in then why did Laura find only three files from her E drive and none from her C drive?

Something has changed somewhere.

4bes
14-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Doesn't sound like it. If Windows was removing files from the Recycle Bin as newer ones went in then why did Laura find only three files from her E drive and none from her C drive?

Something has changed somewhere.

The files from her E drive included a couple of videos. If the video files were large, it may have filled up the allocated space and pushed everything else out.
Laura, why not create a couple of .txt files on your C drive, then delete them to see if they do go into the recycle bin.

Laura
14-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks heaps, people, for all those great suggestions.

I've been descended upon by visitors today, so no chance yet to try them out & reply. Will have a burst late tonight when they've gone.

Laura
15-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Much checking over several hours later...

I've tried out all of those ideas - without success, alas.

I'd already thought of the "size" factor (good suggestions from zqwerty, Graham & 4bes), & manually deleted one of the video files from the Recycle Bin, also increasing the space available to it - with no effect.

(Scouse's wildcard made me realise how grubby my keyboard has become, but it isn't sticking. Interesting idea, though)

Jen's option looked promising, but I'm getting the confirmation message "to the Recycle Bin," not the basic file delete one, so that's as it should be..

However, what I have established by experimenting is:
1) Files I delete manually go into the Recycle Bin.
2) Files I delete with EasyCleaner .... ditto
3) Files I delete with ccleaner disappear.
So ccleaner is obviously the culprit...
which brings me to Joe's suggestions about settings.

I was pleased to get these. in case there was one I'd missed in my own search there.
But I don't have ccleaner set to run at Startup & I've checked that the 2 others he mentioned are unticked.
So my next question has to be - Are there any others I could've overlooked?
The program seems to run OK otherwise.

All suggestions gratefully received. Meanwhile, I'll stick to EasyCleaner.

i-gordon
15-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Laura
Right click on your Recycle Bin Icon, select properties and redo your settings.
Ian

Laura
15-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I thought my last post showed the Recycle Bin itself wasn't the problem..?

But if you know something about the settings which goes further than Jen's suggestions (note her final para, in particular), please let me know.

i-gordon
16-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I thought my last post showed the Recycle Bin itself wasn't the problem..?

But if you know something about the settings which goes further than Jen's suggestions (note her final para, in particular), please let me know.

My mistake I should go to bed earlier.
On my CCleaner when i click on "Run Cleaner" I get the box "This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you wish to proceed? " Plus the check box "Do not show this message again" is it possible that you have ticked this box sometime.
Ian

SurferJoe46
16-01-2007, 05:13 PM
While you have your Recycle Bin right clicked, go to the properties area and make sure that ALL your hdds are set to not delete files automatically...there's a check box for that option.

Make sure it's unchecked...also....

Make sure you have enough room set in the hdd you use to hold the deleted but not totally removed files there. You need a little more room it sounds like or you have the "Remove Files Automatically" box checked.

Check all your hdds...I have only allowed one to have the Recycle bin operational...all the others would need to take a 10% chunk out of my drives and I don't want that.

If the files I am deleting are too large, I get asked the option to just totally delete them as they will take up too much room....and I don't really care about that..you may be different and want that warning to show.

Laura
17-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Uh oh...
I fear you were skimming here, Joe.
If you check back, you'll see the Recycle Bin has been cleared as the culprit - settings OK.
It's ccleaner that's the problem.

I've checked its settings you mentioned earlier, but nothing has changed there.
System/Windows is not checked for Empty Recycle Bin.
ccleaner doesn't run at Startup.
It's not on my Recycle Bin settings, though I think it was once.

One thing, though. When I run it, I do get the message quoted by i-gordon: "This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"
That seems to imply they won't go into the Recycle Bin - or maybe that's the normal message?
Maybe it's become corrupted somehow. Possible?
And maybe I should just delete & re-install?

But that would be an admission of failure - surely a very last resort?

Jen
17-01-2007, 05:39 AM
One thing, though. When I run it, I do get the message quoted by i-gordon: "This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"
That seems to imply they won't go into the Recycle Bin - or maybe that's the normal message?That does suggest that you have ticked that option and selected "don't ask me again".

And maybe I should just delete & re-install?

But that would be an admission of failure - surely a very last resort?.Well you have spent the last four days trying to troubleshoot this. I would of uninstalled and reinstalled CCleaner once it appeared to the culprit. Reinstalling it will give back the default settings. Only takes a few minutes to do and will confirm/rule out CCleaners involvement.

SurferJoe46
17-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Uh oh...
I fear you were skimming here, Joe.
If you check back, you'll see the Recycle Bin has been cleared as the culprit - settings OK.
It's ccleaner that's the problem.

I've checked its settings you mentioned earlier, but nothing has changed there.
System/Windows is not checked for Empty Recycle Bin.

But that would be an admission of failure - surely a very last resort?

OK...guilty as charged...but there are TWO different settings involved here....although I would opt to re-install CCleaner by this time to get the defaults back to where they should be.

The Recycle Bin has settings, AND CCleaner has some too...I suggest there's an interaction involved and then again, the re-install should get it back to good.

I would just be cognizant of the two areas that are adjustable...CCleaner and Recycle are apparently working against each other here...that's all.

IF, you are trying to shove, to say, a liter of beer into a shotglass, then that might be a problem..If the area set aside for the Recycle Bin is too small, then it will naturally opt to totally delete the file and it should inform you (as it is), that it won't fit unless you have set it to not ask.

I'd also check to see what the set-aside area for the recycle bin is before I faulted either of the programs. Most of the time, it defaults to 10% of the whole partition on the root drive in which your Windows programs are installed.

If you, like me use a very small root drive, that could be the problem...10% of 20gig is indeed very small.

I'm with you..try to figger it out and then when all else is hopeless, re-install

.....but inquiring minds need to know.