PDA

View Full Version : Ac97 sound problems(on/off,distortions,chipmunk music)

michael_elliston
12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi all.
Recently formatted my PC. Since installing the seemingly correct driver from gigabytes site,my audio can have a variety of things wrong with it.

One thing ive noticed,is that the driver has a slightly different name to before formatting -it didnt say 'vinyl WDM' after ac97.

Symptoms
Okay for awhile (completely normal sound)but then soon does the following
a) Turn off,until i click mute on and off,and it comes back til i do something else.
Sometimes after its turned off,all sounds are 30-60% faster than normal.

or

b) Music slows down and distorts heavily while scrolling(interestingly,scrolling the window in 'end processes list' of windows task manager doesnt cause it)

Im thinking ive just downloaded the wrong driver,of a related motherboard.
So im guessing il just have to download half a dozen,and try them all(dialup here)

Why havent I contacted gigabyte?I have,but they require very exact information about my motherboard,after squinting at it in bright light for several minutes,still cant find what revision it is.

Any hints?

GA-7VM400M (bios says rev2)
AMDXP 2600+(1.92ghz)
XP SP2

Regards
Mike.e

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi Mike, Welcome to PressF1

My family had similar issues for a while on their Desktop PC, in a nutshell my father had downloaded the wrong drivers after a re-format. They were more *generic* AC'97 drivers when he should have gone to the motherboard manufacturers website to get them.

My best advice would be that you start off at the Gigabyte website and look there for a driver update (Un-install your current drivers first).
Otherwise, EVEREST Ultimate edition has a trial, that'll definitely assist you :)

Cheers

Chill.

Agent_24
13-01-2007, 02:02 PM
make sure you have the right chipset drivers installed also: http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via_hyperionpro_v510a.zip (newer than the one on gigabytes website)

same with this audio driver: (also newer)http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vinyl_audiocodec_v680b.zip

Remove the old audio driver and install the chipset drivers first then the audio. should fix it hopefully...

michael_elliston
13-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the clues guys.
I now remember - the via4in1 drivers refused to do anything aswell,could be part of the problem.

Will try the links

Regards
Mike.e

michael_elliston
14-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok Ive treid the drivers suggested,no luck.Infact after uninstalling sound for the final time,I couldnt get it back.Now after some restarts,the WDM vinyl combo driver is back on its own accord,but no sound emanates.

EVEREST Ultimate I think now!

michael_elliston
16-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Update.
Everest identified mobo as GA7VM400M REV 2.So I redownloaded the file reccomended by gigabytes site. Upon clicking it,files unpack,and nothing more happens. The setup file sits in processes list,with 2mb of memory assigned to it,nothing happens!

Ill see if gigabyte can now help me - their last reply basically said to 'download the driver youve already downloaded' which didnt help.

Mike.e

Chilling_Silence
17-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Try extracting the files then updating the driver through the Device Manager and specifying that folder as the source location

michael_elliston
19-01-2007, 10:47 PM
---------------- RESOLVED ----------------

Yep yesterday I had a play - found some drivers in a temp folder that it unpacked,got the driver installed. Again,on/off,chipmunks,and huge distortion.

5min ago while researching chipsets,north and south bridges at VIA,I bumped the PC hard with my knee,moving it 20cm,and the distortion stopped.
HMMMMMMMHH!

Conclusion : I should hit my PC more often
Cheers for the help!

Mike.e

radium
20-01-2007, 03:20 PM
If your problem returns, I suggest you buy a PCI sound card, & just disable your onboard sound drivers. You can pick them up cheap as these days.