PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Mystery

04-02-2001, 12:37 PM
I've recently given my PC a major upgrade to an Intel PIII-700 with 128MB RAM, part of the upgrade was to put in a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 graphics card. Strange things have been happening since then. I had already installed and been using Combat flight sim.2 which ran properly before the upgrade. With the new card, the game would function correctly up to the point where the scenery was loaded and a particular mission was about to start. At this stage the monitor would turn itself off(or go into standby mode), this generally required a re-boot to fix it. I then downloaded Directx 8 which solved the problem. I thought the problem was history until I loaded the Crimson Skies demo from the latest PCWorld disc. The same thing happened. All of the introductory parts of the programme work fine, but when the mission is about to start, the monitor turns off. All of the audio can still be heard, just no pics. If anyone has any ideas of why this may be happening, please let me know. If it helps, when in the directx folder, you can run certain tests. When testing Direct Draw, the first 2 tests are ok, but when it tests the full screen mode, the screen goes blank. This also happens when the Direct 3D Acceleration test is done.

09-02-2001, 12:38 AM
Sounds like you new video card is putting out signal which is a higher frequency than your monitor can handle. most monitors can handle 50-60Hz quite happily and this is all that is needed for early version games and gen computer apps. your new card is probably capable of freqs of 70 - 110 range. if you monitor is a multisync model it has a self protect feature in it that if the frequency gets too high it shuts off otherwise is would blow its output stage. Me thinks a new monitor is required. this is one factor most ppl forget when upgrading video cards and is quite a frequent occurence.. sorry.. :-((