PDA

View Full Version : Boot/Startup from CD Rom?

B.M.
11-01-2007, 07:21 AM
How do you boot a faulty computer that hasnít a floppy disk drive?

To expand a little, you used to be able to load Oakridge generic CD Rom drivers to the Ram drive from the Floppy. This got you underway and you could format etc a new Hard Drive.

However, with no FDD or HDD how do you get underway from a CD?

I appreciate you can ask the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom using the Boot Sequence in the Cmos Setup, but if there is no CD Rom drivers or Ram Drive at this stage how does one proceed?

Also, can you boot from a USB pen drive?

:blush: :blush: :blush:

pctek
11-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Well what CD isn't bootable nowdays? Put in a Win98/WinME/Win2000/WinXP CD and boot and format from there..........

I doubt a pen drive would boot, a USB HDD would. You need an O/S or at least enough of it to be bale to boot off it.
ANd the motherboard needs to support booting from USB - most new ones do, but old ones won't.

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
You can boot from a USB flash drive / pen.

As PC said, thats if the BIOS supports booting from USB.

Just as long as u format it and make it a system disk. I did it here.

I dont have a floppy either.

I had to use Wimimage to create a floppy image, download a zip file from bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com) use the Windows Format Utility program from HP to make it a system disk.

Kame
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Most ISO making tools can turn bootable floppies into bootable CDs, however, depending on what you need to do, you may not need to go into all this. That link posted by speedy should help you on the way.

You do know what the BIOS is right? It contains enough information to understand how to work the computer, it knows how to operate your CD drive, you could say it contains a generic set of drivers to make your keyboard, video, cdrom, etc work. It may not contain all the information to use it effectively, but enough to let it boot from it, and have another Operating System take over from there.

Cheers,

KK

beama
11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I doubt a pen drive would boot,
ANd the motherboard needs to support booting from USB - most new ones do, but old ones won't.

yes they will, I use pen drive for booting broke pcs but as you said m/b needs to support usb booting