PDA

View Full Version : I want an account that can only play DVDs

pcuser42
09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Question above, how do I do this on XP Home? I want a seperate account for this, as I don't my brother accessing the internet or playing games after watching a movie. TIA

Dannz
09-01-2007, 08:58 PM
you should be able to use system policies, so that he can only run the one program (the dvd program)

EDIT: oops... you run xp home. you might have more trouble. you might need a 3rd party program

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2007, 10:28 PM
You should be able to configure it to use the program as the 'shell' instead of explorer.exe
I did something similar in Win98, apparently XP isnt _too_ different (Dont ask for Step-by-step sorry, dont know there)
Then use your NTFS filesystem permissions to deny to all other places that the user doesnt need access to ;)
Of course if you set it up so its something like VLC, then they could still manually type in a network stream or something? Maybe go with PowerDVD? Not too sure there...

Sweep
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
You should be able to configure it to use the program as the 'shell' instead of explorer.exe
I did something similar in Win98, apparently XP isnt _too_ different (Dont ask for Step-by-step sorry, dont know there)
Then use your NTFS filesystem permissions to deny to all other places that the user doesnt need access to ;)
Of course if you set it up so its something like VLC, then they could still manually type in a network stream or something? Maybe go with PowerDVD? Not too sure there...

With Win98 I altered the Win.ini file so that a menu program was the shell. I set the menu to have a number of games available. Exit the game and you get dumped to the menu. That worked but I have not had to set up a similar system with XP.

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Have a read here:
http://www.sky.franken.de/explorer/index.html

Its got information about the ReactOS Explorer (Open-source implementation of Windows / Windows Explorer), but you can substitute the ReactOS exe for the EXE of the application you want.

****************** NOTE **********************
Start with the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" before you do it for ALL users.. if you mess up, with ALL Users, it can be hard to get back. Make a Test user on your system that you can delete if you mess up ;)