PDA

View Full Version : moniter problem

appropriate
09-01-2007, 08:45 AM
i have a hp pavilion f1903
the problem is every 3 to 9 minutes i get the black screen for like 2 seconds then it well return to the normal screen.what could be makeing this do this

Jen
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi, Welcome to PressF1 :)

Have you check your cables are firmly attached?

oldslowguy
10-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Some other thoughts I had were perhaps a weak power supply, or a video card going bad, but as I am in the US I can't check out Appropriate's computer for him. If it's possible, is there anyone in his area of NZ who could check it for him? Or is there a reliable shop nearby that wouldn't take advantage of him? He's a really nice guy. oldslowguy

CYaBro
10-01-2007, 02:32 AM
What area are they in?

appropriate
11-01-2007, 09:42 AM
i live near whakatane,my cables are sweet.

appropriate
11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
could my moniter do this if the inside of my mother board is very dusty ????

Billy T
11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
could my moniter do this if the inside of my mother board is very dusty ????
It's probably not your monitor, but an easy way to check it is to boot to the set up screen and leave that sitting there for a while to see if it blanks out.

Alternatively, just put a floppy in the drive and reboot. That will produce an error message that you can leave on screen for a while to achieve the same outcome.

This will eliminate most of your hardware and software from the equation, and if the image stays put, that would suggests that the monitor is almost certainly OK. Then you can turn your attention to potential software/hardware issues. Next thing I'd try would be booting into safe mode and see what happens there.

Borrowing a monitor to test with is another option.

It is unlikely to be the power supply, because that doesn't power the monitor, and I can't see dust as an issue either. If the MB was overheating it would take more than 2 seconds to cool down.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
I suppose another thing to check is to see whether the power LED stays green or whether it turns amber, when the screen goes black.

If it does stay green, then there could be an intermittent fault in the monitor, if it turns amber then it indicates that maybe the monitor is not getting a video signal from the video card.

appropriate
12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
thanks i well check it out.