PDA

View Full Version : A weird PC problem

BoWzA
08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok guys here's an interesting one for you. I'm not too fussed on fixing it i just want to know what you guys think may have caused it or would fix it.

My pc got taken off me in february for the start of the school year and placed in a closet. It worked perfectly when it was stored away. However, when i eagerly took it out on the afternoon of my final exam it wouldn't go lol. How ironic .. The screen said it had no input when it was plugged into the video card (not onboard) and the pc turned itself off after around 2 minutes.

I figured that the pc was overheating so I opened up the case and tested the pc to see if the cpu fan was moving - it wasn't. It turned out the Cpu Fan pins on the board weren't working so I had to use the other one on the board.

I then had to use the onboard video card to finally get the pc to work without problems. However this means that I can't play games lol. So I did some testing and bought another AGP card to see if it was the card or the slot causing the problems - it turned out that this perfectly working and tested card did not work on the board either! So i've concluded that the AGP slot is also broken.

I just don't get how this could happen just from sitting in a cupboard not moving or anything! Any ideas? I was going to buy another Socket 478 motherboard but I realised that my motherboard is running SD-RAM and i don't really have the money to buy 512mb of DDR ram as well as a motherboard. I can't find any boards that take SD RAM on trademe and EBAY australia only has ones with like 2 USB's or no LAN or no Soundcard onboard and going for 50$+!

Any ideas? Thanks you guys I really admire the work you do for people's problems! I hope i can contribute in the future

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I am not sure of the life expectancy of the CMOS battery although I am sure it should last longer than that, however you shouldn't completely unplug your computer from a power source for an extended period of time.

BoWzA
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I didn't think the cmos would affect the cpu fan plug and the agp slot though? like .. I can't get anything to run in the slot lol.

Metla
08-01-2007, 10:36 PM
First port of call...try a known good power supply, actually first off find the pins that clear the cmos and short em.

Dont worry about the battery, even if its flat the pc will boot and have a graphic output.

BoWzA
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
but i don't get how the PSU could have broken my AGP and cpu fan lol

Metla
08-01-2007, 10:50 PM
True, But its too random to worry about, Just reset the bios and try and boot her up, weird **** can happen when the lowest level settings getting scrambled.

The replacement PSU is just the first step in PC trobleshooting, You would be amazed at what it fixes.

and if you have a spare cmos battery you may as well chuck it in.

BoWzA
08-01-2007, 11:00 PM
No it actually works now. Like i'm on it now. I just can't play any games really because it's using the onboard video lol. And i don't really have money to throw at it I just bought a new LCD and tv tuner for it, DVD writer is next on the cards. I just wanted to be able to play some battlefield whilst at uni lol

Metla
08-01-2007, 11:08 PM
No?

You go to the trouble of asking so you can refuse the advice?

Champion, Im sure resetting the bios would cripple you financially, and your agp slot maybe not working due to lack of power supplied by the power supply, though as stated its pretty random.

BoWzA
08-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Uh i kinda stated that i'm not too fussed on fixing it i just wanted to know what would cause it. I thought that the powersupply could but i don't have the money to spend on it. Poor student lol. Plus I couldn't actually find a jumper that said Bios on it and the manual didn't help. And i didn't see a point in resetting it if it was running fine apart from those problems.

pctek
09-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Probably just coincidence being in the cupboard - although I suppose their is the vague possibilty moving it flexed the MB and put a hairline crack in it.

I'd say its time to biff the MB.
Fairly low spec old PC for gaming anyway.

BoWzA
09-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah that's what i was going to do. It's only really for playing battlefield 1942 lol. in a few years i'll probably build a better gaming spec pc when i've saved some money like .. when i'm half way through uni lol. Thanks for your helps!