PDA

View Full Version : How much would a PC like this set me back?

Motokid600
08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I plan on Building a Pc close to his setup and wonderd how much it would cost me.

( In American currency please )

CPU - Intel Pentium D Dual Core 2 Extreme Edition X6800 2.93 GHz 4MB

RAM - 4096 MB DDR II 800 Memory (Kingston HyperX) (Asus Intel & SLI Recommended.)

Motherboard - ASUS Striker Extreme SLI nForce 680i Mother Board

Hard Drive 1 -Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA 16MB

Hard Drive 2 -Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA 16MB

Hard Drive 3 -Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II

Hard Drive 4 -Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II

Gfx Card 1 - ASUS nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR 3 Video

Gfx Card 2 -ASUS nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR 3 Video

Power Supply - 850 Watt Thermaltake Tough Power Modular PS W0131RU (dual 8800 certified)

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2007, 05:05 PM
A lot. When u win Lotto, get it then.

Motokid600
08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
LOL, thanks, but i was kinda looking for a specific #

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Well something like 3-4000 $ NZ most probably or more.

And most probably more in US $

Greg
08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I plan on Building a Pc close to his setup and wonderd how much it would cost me.You could actually just go to an online store and price it yourself you know. It's not that hard. Really.

Master_Frost
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
As most $300 e6300( or $380 e6400) can overclock past that X6800 $1600 monster processor, I would not even slightly consider the X6800 unless you are either wealthy or hell bent on not overclocking.

In fact if you are to spend that much on a processor I would splash out a tad more and get $1800 QX6700 quad core that easily out perform the X6800

BTW Intel released new quad cores today, starting at Q6600 $520US

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
As most $300 e6300( or $380 e6400) can overclock past that X6800 $1600 monster processor, I would not even slightly consider the X6800 unless you are either wealthy or hell bent on not overclocking.

In fact if you are to spend that much on a processor I would splash out a tad more and get $1800 QX6700 quad core that easily out perform the X6800

And your point?

I'm not the one wanting to buy it.

Master_Frost
08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
And your point?

I'm not the one wanting to buy it.

I wasn't replying to you, sorry crazy out of control clicking, I have removed the quote

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I plan on Building a Pc close to his setup and wonderd how much it would cost me.

I take it your a hard core gamer?

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Rumour has it that Intel has an Octocore (8 cores) chip soon to be announced.. like very soon.... but it is only a rumour.

Master_Frost
08-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Rumour has it that Intel has an Octocore (8 cores) chip soon to be announced.. like very soon.... but it is only a rumour.

One would suspect Intel will hold that trump (assuming they are doing it) card till Q3 when AMD release there Native qaud cores, so I wouldn't hold your breath :xmouth:

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2007, 05:45 PM
I wasn't replying to you, sorry crazy out of control clicking, I have removed the quote

Ah ok then. :)

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 05:45 PM
The only catch with a Quad core is that Windows only takes 4 GB of RAM although I am not sure about the 64bit Windows. I would assume that takes 8 GB of RAM?? or 16GB???

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
One would suspect Intel will hold that trump (assuming they are doing it) card till Q3 when AMD release there Native qaud cores, so I wouldn't hold your breath :xmouth:

If the rumour turns out to be true I will let you know on Wednesday. Although it is a rumour so I am not holding my breath... much.;)

The_End_Of_Reality
08-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Well excluding Case and mobo I get $7500 NZD, you can look up a currency converter

EDIT: I might just add that these prices are from NZ and we probably get different prices to what you will even if you include the exchange rate...

In short... find a US online store with a PC builder and design it yourself for best results

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Well excluding Case and mobo I get $7500 NZD, you can look up a currency converter

:eek: Thats serious gaming!

pctek
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM

What are we? Some american shop? This is an NZ help forum, if you have no idea at all what it would cost I suggest you ring a couple of shops or look online at US shops.

Or is this just to skite?
Remember it will all be obsolete in 6 months.

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Remember it will all be obsolete in 6 months.

LOL. Must be worth it if they love gaming.

BoWzA
08-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Personally I think that that is just a little over the top. What would you intend on doing with all that space, ram etc.. Video editing or something? Animation? Anyway, USA has different prices as someone said above me. And again this is a help site!!! Contact a pc shop or look on the net!

winmacguy
09-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Personally I think that that is just a little over the top. What would you intend on doing with all that space, ram etc.. Video editing or something? Animation? Anyway, USA has different prices as someone said above me. And again this is a help site!!! Contact a pc shop or look on the net!

I wouldn't be using that particular set up for video editing, better value for better return here http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/nzstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=402B832D&nclm=MacPro
Incidently Weta use Irix and Linux with some Macs for the bulk of their special effects and stuff.

winmacguy
09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Actually just looking at those specs I would have to say that Motokid either has more money than sense or a very rich mommy and daddy who don't mind him spending excessively for gaming for a waaay over specd machine. In terms of hi end DV editing I could get a better performing result for just over $4,500 NZ with a Mac Pro tower plus a 30 inch monitor and still have change.

JJJJJ
09-01-2007, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=Motokid600;514400]I plan on Building a Pc close to his setup and wonderd how much it would cost me.

/QUOTE]

If you want it in US currency why not post on a US site.
NZ prices are completely different to US.

Greg
09-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Incidently Weta use Irix and Linux with some Macs for the bulk of their special effects and stuff.Incidentally Microsoft use Windows for all their programming and development and stuff.

(or so rumour has it!) :D

winmacguy
09-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Incidentally Microsoft use Windows for all their programming and development and stuff.

(or so rumour has it!) :D

And your point?

plod
09-01-2007, 11:26 AM
And your point?

Greg is just getting his post count up

winmacguy
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Greg is just getting his post count up

LOL :) Thanks for that plod.:thumbs:

motorbyclist
09-01-2007, 07:10 PM
so basically, an american is asking new zealanders to quote some monster machine in american currency, presumably using parts sourced in the states. were he an NZer i'd sugest looking at www.pricespy.co.nz, being an american i'd suggest looking at american shops. it isn't hard, and he might realise the exessive cost of this machine if he hasn't already

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

pctek
09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
And your point?

I think the point was what relevance did your comment have?

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I think the point was what relevance did your comment have?

My point was that his dream computer specs were overkill for a PC gaming machine (only my opinion), or, if he was going for a DV editing machine which would be the only reason for needing that much space and configuration for a RAID HD setup with 4GB of RAM in total that he would be better of getting a Mac Pro Tower for 4.5K which would be better suited to DV editing and will also take up to 16GB of RAM (assuming he could afford that much).
My final closing comment was that Weta who do all the high end movie editing use Irix or Linux boxes for the task since they are better suited rather than Windows. That is why I was unsure as to the point of Glen's comment about Windows being used for developing since you don't need a super expensive with massive computing power for coding and developing. :confused:

Greg
10-01-2007, 12:45 AM
his dream computer specs were overkill for a PC gaming machinePffft! No such thing! :D

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Pffft! No such thing! :D

It was mostly the hard drive space that I was refering to as being overkill Greg and judging by some of the "dream machine' setups mentioned on here by other PF1 members motokid's RAID setup is definitely either overkill or more money than brains. I think plods comment was actually spot on though ;).

The_End_Of_Reality
10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
My point was that his dream computer specs were overkill for a PC gaming machine I agree with Greg here, you can NEVER have a powerful enough machine these days with all the power hungry games out there... as for the HDD space, I know a lot of people who have ove 1TB of storage and are/have run out...

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with Greg here, you can NEVER have a powerful enough machine these days with all the power hungry games out there... as for the HDD space, I know a lot of people who have ove 1TB of storage and are/have run out...

Thanks for the explantion. I was actually saying that it sounded like a lot to pay for for just 4GB of RAM although the price does take into account some top end garphics cards and two hi end monitors which will set you back a few bills.

How much does the amount of RAM factor into gaming? compared to say Core2Duo chip?

Nomad
10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Why bum around with normal SATA. Get 4x Ultra SCSI 320 with 15,000 RPM HDDs in a SCSI RAID :D

Adaptec Ultra SCSI 320 PCI Express card.
If you wanna get a kick out of it and show off with your geeky friends get them off eBay, I heard the low capacities are pretty cheap if you don't download or store too much crap, the PCI-X is pretty affordable as well. You will then have more disk speeds than a typical printing bureau :angry

If it was me, a computer no more than $1200-1400NZD and a 2nd hand monitor CRT and pinch the mouse and keyboard from my old one. I could get a new one each yr compared to that dream computer. I doubt very much that would still be a dream computer after a few yrs. Or are you gonna upgrade to another dream computer each yr or two? :waughh:

For $7500NZ or $5000US, that for me is enof for least 2 international trips all cost included or more if I hit a closer destination (but still international). Now don't tell me you want to go to a villa in a 6 star hotel and dine a table next to George Clooney with a limosine pickup at the airport :thumbs:

If I were to upgrade I get a moderate PC for the price stated, pretty avg really dual core basic CPU, a avg or just above avg GPU, 1 or 2GB DDR, one HDD that's about it, grab my current DVDRW, use a router wired than a PCI Wifi card. Basic case with a Enermax case, 2nd hand monitor, current mouse and keyb. I don't care if I get higher specs than other pple, I don't need to use the game at insane high settings and my eye probably cannot detect anyway.

I been using a laptop since 2001 with a 12 inch screen, P3. Its been good cannot play games or photo's but for normal work its fine with its 1 inch thickness. I use that everyday til now and yet to get an upgrade. Cannot remember the last time I got a windows error.

Nomad
10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
A computer is pretty boring really. A beige color square box of wires.
Its not going to change your life.

Are you going spend your social life in your own room and typing computer texting messages to strangers you met on the net.

I just got broadband not long ago. Its great to free up the line and I use modest so it becomes around $40 or less a month. With these things pple are downloading tv shows on the net, sometimes I missed a free to air tv show here, so I tried downloading it, man its a lot of donkey work and then it can be superslow. I rather just pop the VCR on timer mode with a scheduler programmed. So it may do every day or every week day or every friday at this start time to this end time. DVD ones are a bit over the top for me because you are just recording tv shows.

I arn't getting newer downloads earlier b/c I arn't gonna download every week for a episode just to keep up with it.
Never tried movies but my ISP refunds me if I don't use all my GBs, one GB measures out to be a $1, provided you need to upload as well so its $2 in total, I prefer a $4 dvd hire or a $8 movie ticket.
I may try out the free to air international channels 2hr or 4hr dramas though. We have international channels on top our our Sky (cable subscription) TV here but they tend to have the series shows only and not any drama movies. For the series its just too many I arn't gonna download them even if we get them late here, they are like 1hr for each week day. 1hr show for me can range up to 24hr damn it... Some range from 2-3 months usually. One I know is even going on over a year.

Some pple leave them downloading while they are out or asleep but I arnt going with that .. Its just so much easier you can turn the TV on and its on, you can also watch news, documentaries - try downloading that as well or try downloading a few hours of tv shows off the net each day. For me I get a life doing other stuff.

The_End_Of_Reality
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
How much does the amount of RAM factor into gaming? compared to say Core2Duo chip? Well it all depends on the amount in to start with, if you are running 512MB of RAM and trying to run FEAR for example lets say with a 3500+ and 256MB 7600GT, you will probably be best upgrading the RAM rather than the CPU, but if it were 2GB of RAM the system had then I would say the best would be to upgrade the CPU.

The RAM stores the maps (and other things) for the game so as that it is not running on the HDD all the time trying to load the maps on the fly, this increases prformance by a lot, more than any CPU can do if you have a small amount of RAM cause the bottle neck is the HDD caused by the RAM, not the CPU. But with different amounts of RAM the bottleneck shifts to the GPU or CPU.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
The only reason I ask is because I tend to think more in terms of graphic type apps that I am used to and things like engineering and DV rendering where the more RAM you can give them the better off you are as well as the ability to distribute or multitask the processes- on top of something like a hi spec'd Core2Duo set up or even dual chip set up. However the GPU requirements are not quite as crucial as they are in gaming.

Bit of a continual learning process for me.

pctek
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM

Are you going spend your social life in your own room and typing computer texting messages to strangers you met on the net.

Beige? Since when? I haven't had a beige PC in ages.
And getting my first PC did change my life. Well at least my career.

Nope don't spend my social life typing tostrangers.
Spend it playing games.
:D

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Well beige or black pretty much unless your talking customized Alienware boxes. You have obviously never paid close attention to a G3 iMac G4 Cube or Tower, G5 Mac Pro Tower, G5 iMac etc

Nomad
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Well beige or black pretty much unless your talking customized Alienware boxes. You have obviously never paid close attention to a G3 iMac G4 Cube or Tower, G5 Mac Pro Tower, G5 iMac etc

Oh .. yup :p
I have seen a hybrid before, a friend bought a Compaq from Noel Leeming and it had interchangeable colors you can pull and pop on like red, blue, gray and other colors :thumbs:

(behind a dominant beige case) :D

Jen
10-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Haven't you heard, it isn't what's on the outside that counts, but what is inside ... ;)

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Oh .. yup :p
I have seen a hybrid before, a friend bought a Compaq from Noel Leeming and it had interchangeable colors you can pull and pop on like red, blue, gray and other colors :thumbs:

(behind a dominant beige case) :D

True, many of the PC manufactures are starting to realise that they can only cut PC prices so much before their profit margin disappears and they start losing money due to the competition being able to charge more. What they haven't quite figured out yet is that there is more to healthy profit margins than just a fancy PC case.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Haven't you heard, it isn't what's on the outside that counts, but what is inside ... ;)

If only PC manufactures knew, eh Jen :)
Care and attention to detail. Clever engineering. Clean design. Running cooler chips and several small fans to minimise fan noise so that your machine runs silent except under heavy loads. Enabling clear airflow inside the case.

Master_Frost
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM

what a load of Bollocks

There are plenty of other case colors around, check out this link and click on "cases".

http://www.tastech.co.nz/

Pink,Blue,Silver,"black","beige",clear seethrough

Many e-tailers in NZ have a selection of colours beyond beige and black. Other manufactures have been customising cases well before Alienware.

One of my second PC's has a red factory case (since annoyed me and I spray painted it black).

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
what a load of Bollocks

There are plenty of other case colors around, check out this link and click on "cases".

http://www.tastech.co.nz/

Pink,Blue,Silver,"black","beige",clear seethrough

Many e-tailers in NZ have a selection of colours beyond beige and black. Other manufactures have been customising cases well before Alienware.

One of my second PC's has a red factory case (since annoyed me and I spray painted it black).

My point was that it is not just the case or case colour that makes a great computer. It is the design and engineering of what goes on inside that can effect the shape that you are able to create an ergonomic design. The performance that can be achieved from effective heat dispersal, reduction in excessive fan noise from incorporating several small fans as opposed to one large fan.

Master_Frost
10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
My point was that it is not just the case or case colour that makes a great computer. It is the design and engineering of what goes on inside that can effect the shape that you are able to create an ergonomic design. The performance that can be achieved from effective heat dispersal, reduction in excessive fan noise from incorporating several small fans as opposed to one large fan.

I was not responding to any of that, just your case color statement.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I might have been a bit too limited in my initial response to the original beige box comment previously posted in terms of available case covers other than beige. I was initially responding to Nomad's comment about the vast selection of case colours available.

JJJJJ
10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
The colour and make of the case makes a lot of difference in how good the computer is. A black one is faster than a pink one.
Yeah right!

What a lot of nonsense some people talk.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
JJJJJ, that just makes it look flash. How flash depends on the individuals opinion. Looks don't have anything to do with speed or perfomance. Speed and performance are dictated by engineering, hardware, technical specs, industrial design and component set up as well as selecting the appropriate horse for the appropriate course.

Master_Frost
10-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I might have been a bit too limited in my initial response to the original beige box comment previously posted in terms of available case covers other than beige. I was initially responding to Nomad's comment about the vast selection of case colours available.

well fair enough

Anyway, we all know red is fastest, due to the way light shinning off it emmits an electromagnetic pulse increasing the frequency of the components inside which improves the slipstream properties of the time space continuum.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
well fair enough

Anyway, we all know red is fastest, due to the way light shinning off it emmits an electromagnetic pulse increasing the frequency of the components inside which improves the slipstream properties of the time space continuum.

I do believe that you have just explained to me what the meaning of life is Master_Frost!:thumbs: :cool: <in the voice of C-3P0>

motorbyclist
11-01-2007, 12:40 AM
well fair enough

red with flames, actually;)

The_End_Of_Reality
11-01-2007, 08:50 AM
red with flames, actually;) Don't forget the engine and wheels too :D

Just need to chain it to something to keep it from roaring off :p

winmacguy
11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Don't forget the engine and wheels too :D

Just need to chain it to something to keep it from roaring off :p

Very important especially in some neighbourhoods.

videoguy
11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
$4321.00 US Dollars

winmacguy
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
=$6262 NZ dollars based on exchange rate of 68cents on the dollar.

motorbyclist
12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
for parts sourced here or there?

Sweep
12-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Has anyone noticed that Motokid600 has left the building some 3 or 4 days ago?

Keep on debating amongst yourselves.

We won't all agree on anything anyway.

motorbyclist
12-01-2007, 02:19 AM
i was going to give him a few days before assuming his death, given he does have 62 posts

winmacguy
12-01-2007, 06:54 AM
i was going to give him a few days before assuming his death, given he does have 62 posts

I think we might have scared him off earlier :D

The_End_Of_Reality
12-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Very important especially in some neighbourhoods. I wasn't meaning chain it up for the possibility of getting stollen...

I was meaning chain it up so as that it doesn't roar off on its own power, note the don't forget the engine and wheels...

winmacguy
12-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Good point, that hadn't occured to me. ;)