PDA

View Full Version : DRM's and music files

slofox
08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I have changed computers and transferred many files from old machine to new, including various music tracks. Media Player will not allow these music files to play because I "dont have the rights" to play them. DRM problems I guess. Anyone know a quick fix please? Ta.

zqwerty
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Take ownership of the folders. Try:

You should be able to boot XP in Safe Mode (press F8 before Windows starts). Right-click on the folder and click Properties. Click the Security tab, and ignore the message (Click OK). Click Advanced and click the Owner tab. Choose your name from the Name list. Tick "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects" and click OK. Click yes to the warning that appears. Hope this helps.

Alternatively try another Media Player like this one which is very, very, very good:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

SurferJoe46
08-01-2007, 07:14 PM
..and stay away from WMP11..it is really snotty about DRM's....

noone
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
If DRM is embedded in the song itself then its goin to difficult to get it to play, cause its set up to only be played on the original computer (unless you hack it...but i dont think we can discuss that here).

You can contact the provider and they will renew the licence for you - well all the ones i have used allow you.

For the future, stay away from DRM

SurferJoe46
08-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Just a suggestion here:

If you have any burned cd's or are in any way suspect the authenticity of it, then open it in something other than your regular WMP player.

This applies to home-videos too...some of this newer DRM stuff is really not going to let your vids of the kiddies at the beach be playable if it works out the way the studios want.

Micro$oft is in bed with the RIAA and MPA in their newer opsystems to make sure that they have control of your machine from now on.

As I understand it, if you use, say....Power DVD, it won't register with your DVD player and modify it..which could make it problematic in the future.