PDA

View Full Version : CPU speeds

Faded_Mantis
08-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I have a Sempron 64 8000+ 1.8ghz s754. When I right click my computer windows says it's running at 1.8ghz.

However Sandra says it's running at 1.03ghz. And I thought that this was strange, so I downloaded CP-Z and it says it's running at 1.295ghz.

What's going on, no one has altered anything to do with the CPU, so why is it running so slowly.

The CPU has the AMD version of speed step technology (55%-100%) so is it this that is slowing the CPU down in the results? (just saw the ghz drop from 1029.5 to 1029.4 and back

Core speed: 1029.5mhz
multiplier: 5x
bus speed: 205.9
voltage: 1.178-1.198 (fluctuates)

I have a feeling this may jsut be AMD speed steping doing this, the Sandra one was while the computer had been sitting the CPU-Z one was just after getting out of a game. How can I turn AMD speed step off to see if this is the problem?

Faded_Mantis
08-01-2007, 01:01 AM
nevermind problem solved, just need to know how I can turn AMD's speed step of, and also do I need it turned off if I was ever going to overclock.

qazwsxokmijn
08-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Don't turn it off. SpeedStep is to reduce workload and therefore heat while it doesn't need as much resources.

Jams
08-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Whoa, a sempron 8000+!!!!.

where do i get one of those!!!

Faded_Mantis
08-01-2007, 02:25 AM
lol you get them from my imagination. lol thought I'd removed all my typo's. I ment Sempron 3000+

Qaz, so it's normal for it to run at 1ghz while playing Sim city 4 and Eve-Online (not at the same time)? Haven't tried it on any other games yet.

p.s. ctrl+alt+del gives me a CPU usae of 52-97% normally while running EVE-Online it moves up and down quickly. occasionally makin it to 100% but only occasionally.

Faded_Mantis
08-01-2007, 02:42 AM
sorry for the double post but I can't edit the above one, and I'm adding this info as I test it. I have found that if I am in a station in the game that CPU usage is 2-20%, and it's only when I'm moving around the "universe" that the COU usage goes up that high.

Jams
08-01-2007, 03:10 AM
sorry for the double post but I can't edit the above one, and I'm adding this info as I test it. I have found that if I am in a station in the game that CPU usage is 2-20%, and it's only when I'm moving around the "universe" that the COU usage goes up that high.

i haven't played this game.

But...the reason why the CPU usage is bumped up when in the universe is becuase your CPU/Video will have to render alot more (assuming the "universe" is an open area) and it drops when in a "station" becuase it is a smaller, closed off area, there for not as much processing work is needed.

trinsic
08-01-2007, 12:22 PM
This is Cool'n'Quiet is it not? It slows down the CPU when not being used which is good.

My Sempron would sit at 1ghz then go upto 1.8 if it needed to. It just sits at 1.8 now but would be best to leave it.

pctek
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
This is Cool'n'Quiet is it not? It slows down the CPU when not being used which is good.

Cool and Quiet makes the fan run slower and therefore more quietly.
I turn off Cool and quiet, I'd rather the fan went flat out all the time.

trinsic
08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Cool and Quiet makes the fan run slower and therefore more quietly.
I turn off Cool and quiet, I'd rather the fan went flat out all the time.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU speed throttling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with their Athlon 64 processor series. When the user is running undemanding applications and the load on the processor is light, the processor's clock speed and voltage are reduced. This reduces its average power consumption, which in turn reduces the heat emitted and allows for a slower (and quieter) cooling fan, hence the name. Overclockers usually turn this feature off as it can cause problems when overclocking.[citation needed]

This technology was introduced on new E-step Opterons branded as Optimized Power Management (OPM), basically a modified Cool'n'Quiet to work with registered RAM, in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool%27n%27Quiet

Thats the reason the fan slows down, because it down clocks. Its just like SpeedStep which is for Intel.