PDA

View Full Version : Speakers ? Home Theatre?

beetle
07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
oK i would like to get some new speakers for the pc, that also double as stereo, Tv speakers............. does this mean i need a more elaborate set up?

i currently have a 5 / 1 system............ and since my puter is my stereo want decent speakers for sounds, and we watch lots of dvd's so good sounds for that would be a bit over the top but cool.

what should i look for? and what to avoid?

Had been hoping to go shopping in welly this week, while on holiday....... but alas that is not to be.........so wangas shopping with have to do.

i like the look of those stand up skinny speakers, but am open to sugestions at this stage. and budget is not determined but nothing way over the top.
i suppose it depends on how bad the want is isnt how much ill spend.

oh and would i be better looking at DSE or just a general place like Harvey normals? or farmers? getting a wee bit limited here.

im mainly looking for speakers and a sub..... but i spose home theatre packages come out on special sometimes dont they? dvd players etc?

thanxs

beetle

CYaBro
07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
I have a set of the Z-5500 speakers.
Check them out on this (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/NZ/EN,crid=2172,categoryid=422) page.
They are quite expensive at $800 but they are awesome!
There are other speaker sets on that page too.

I use mine all the time for watching movies and listening to music. I don't actually have them connected to the PC though.

Trev
07-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Anything by Creative, Logitech or Altec Lansing should do.
Check out Ascent to decide what you want. I myself run some Klipsch PC stereo speakers which comprise of 2 25 watt satelite speakers and a 50 watt subwoofer puts out a really good sound.

This site for the Klipsch speakers. Mine are on the right.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=78

http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=60

Trevor :)

Tukapa
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Thise stand up skinny speakers are designed to look good. Problem is they sound like crap. It is impossible to get great sound from small speakers. Of course it depends on what your definition of great sound is.

The best bet is to listen before you buy.

Sorry - not much help!

The_End_Of_Reality
07-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I have a set of Logitech X-530s and they are very good for the price :thumbs:

allblack
07-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Hmmmm.....nice.

Have the whole lot hooked up through one awesome set of speakers.

From what I've seen, decent home theaters are around $1k, but there are cheaper and I assume you get what you pay for. Probably wouldn't suggest the Warehouse :p

Maybe the challenge is not so much what to buy.....but how to set it all up (connections) etc.....that may be the limiting factor more than choice.

But if it worked.....wow!

My choice would be Harvey Normans......the shop in Porirua has a special room dedicated to home theatre set-up's.....so one assumes they will also have the all-important knowledge....which may ultimately be more valuable than price.

Just my :2cents:

T

pctek
07-01-2007, 03:39 PM
oK i would like to get some new speakers for the pc, that also double as stereo, Tv speakers

what should i look for? and what to avoid?

Proper stereo speakers.
Avoid cheap PC speakers.

As for the suggestions of Logitech etc there are only 2 that are anywhere near decent and they cost heaps.

Go for a decent stereo speaker setup. They beat the pants off PC stuff.

pine-o-cleen
07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I'd say don't limit yourself to 'PC' setups.

What kind of sound card do you have? What outputs etc?

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I'd say don't limit yourself to 'PC' setups.

What kind of sound card do you have? What outputs etc?

Agreed. A decent sound card can make a whole heap of difference to home audio amoung other things.
I use TDK speakers for my music collection at home. Not sure what my sound card is as I have had it for ages.

beetle
07-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I cant remember what my sound card is, or how to find out what it is.........

i was thinking more along the lines of theatre systems, but if that sort of $$ is needed, maybe just have to upgrade slowly, ...... and look at cabling as well.

i have a stereo that goes, but not the cd player, so hence the pc becoming a music player. and want to connect all together. and the idea was to have good speakers.. i will do some more looking.

even mite go a look in the shops for a change.

beetle

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I cant remember what my sound card is, or how to find out what it is.........

i was thinking more along the lines of theatre systems, but if that sort of $$ is needed, maybe just have to upgrade slowly, ...... and look at cabling as well.

i have a stereo that goes, but not the cd player, so hence the pc becoming a music player. and want to connect all together. and the idea was to have good speakers.. i will do some more looking.

even mite go a look in the shops for a change.

beetle

Hmmm this home theatre concept seems to be catching on a bit. I think having your PC or Mac as a juke box and plugged in to the stereo is pretty normal these days. Rip all of your DVDs to your hard drive and then stream that through the TV or your big screen LCD monitor. You just need to have a cheap 500GB or Terabyte Linux or Mac server hiding some where in the house and connect everything up to it.

Metla
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
You have onboard sound Beetle. A better sound card is an option but it wont make a poor set of speaks sound good, So forget about upgrading it in the short term.

In the mean time you could just run an audio cord to your input on your stereo for the sake of listining to music. Then start looking around for Stereo that outputs to 5.1, A cheap one will be $500 to $700. Your ears will tell you everything you need to know.

My set up in the lounge is a $500 stereo, a good ten years old, Just replaced the 2 main speakers with a set of $500 speakers a couple years back, Stunning sound without getting silly with money.

In my home theatre room I have a set of 5.1 Altec Lansing speaks running off the PC, They are far better then the speaks on sticks that I tried but not as good as the big mothers on the main stereo.

beetle
08-01-2007, 09:32 AM
well with my ears, i cant tell the diff really between good and bad. :(

i dont use my stereo at all, its not plugged in, hasnt been for a year. i just use peach.

beetle

Hitech
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I have a pair of mission volare floor standing speakers which cost me $2000. they are bloody good for most things i use them for.

allblack
08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
well with my ears, i cant tell the diff really between good and bad. :(

i dont use my stereo at all, its not plugged in, hasnt been for a year. i just use peach.

beetle

Beets, IMHO I reckon you'd be better just updating the PC speakers, and not worrying about hooking everything up to home theatre or similar.

As you say, Peach plays all your music and therefore maybe your focus should be a great set of speakers for that?

Even with the ears, I reckon you would be surprised at the difference, but make sure you listen to any first before you buy. That way you'll know whether they float your boat or not.....

Personally speaking I see no point spending (for example) $600.00 on a good PC-speaker setup if you can't tell the difference between them and a (say) $300.00 pair. That's not an "ears" issue....most people, myself included, aren't audiophiles and therefore don't pick-up or hear the technical refinements that come with top-end sounds.

This is where it may get confusing....at what point should you upgrade the sound card? IMO you probably need to do both, but I don't know in what order. Getting out of my depth a bit here :confused:

But given how much you use Peach for music.....then the investment in both could be well worth it.

If you go the PC-speakers route...then you may be better looking at a puter-shop as opposed to Harvey Normans etc, as they may be able to advise on a sound card that works with the particluar speaker set-up?...make sure the package is all compatible???

EDIT: This may be bollocks as I'm not in any way an expert on PC-speakers, or what is out there.....just to clarify before I get slammed!

T

dolby digital
08-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I couple of years ago I was in the Stationary Warehouse and they had these all in one DVD player/home theatre units for $200 (down from $500), and I decided to buy one for my wife and son as they simple to use and I had far too many remotes to operate my "gear" and my wife gets a bit confused. Now I'm a bit fussy about my hi-fi equipment and and didn't expect it to sound very good, but to my surprise, it does. Its about 20 Watts RMS for each channel and has 5 small speakers and a subwoofer. It also has a radio and 2 analog inputs for plugging in a VCR.

Whats your budget Beets? I wouldn't use my computer; I would go and buy one of these as they are simplier to use. I think you can get a basic Panasonic for around $400 which would be better quality and should last a bit longer. Mine was a "made in China" job and after 2 years the volume control on the unit doesn't work properly (if you turn the volume up, it goes down :stare: ), the remote works fine though.

allblack
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Maybe something like this......?

http://www.bose.co.nz/site/index.aspx?path=products&CTRL=PG&pfid=9&pgid=103

beetle
08-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Um............the idea is not to use my stereo........... i havent for a year, its just moved house with me each time and not plugged in anytime, prob hasnt been used for a good 4 yrs? its has speakers i like, so ive kept it.

Peach ( puter) is playing music the whole time she is on... and only when i do sleep or watching telly does she not play music. I have approx over 100 CD's saved onto peach..... that i own and a few others :rolleyes: there could well be more i dont know how to work out how many gigs i have on her.
........ so she could go for days without me changing a setting and replaying a song.

budget is optional:p
i was thinking up to $500 but didnt realise they were as expensive as they are.....

but i can go look i spose.

i really dont know what i want, or should get, thats why asked.

but peach is my stereo. and she is also my photo storage facility, :p

beetle:rolleyes:

allblack
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Maybe have a look at this.....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mce/expert/connect_av.mspx#EZC

Might try it myself.....seems relatively easy.

dolby digital
08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Maybe something like this......?

http://www.bose.co.nz/site/index.aspx?path=products&CTRL=PG&pfid=9&pgid=103

At the risk of upsetting Bose owners, Bose equipment tends to be overpriced for what it is.

pctek
08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Um............the idea is not to use my stereo........... i havent for a year, its just moved house with me each time and not plugged in anytime,

Peach ( puter) is playing music the whole time she is on...

I have an old Akai stereo. Its I dunno, 30 years old? Slowly over the years bits have died and been thrown out - the tuner, the turntable, the tape deck. All thats left is the amp and speakers.
Which are plugged into my PC whichj likewise is my stereo these days.

So use your stereo, just move it to the PC and hook it up.
I only have onboard sound too, haven't gotten around to deciding on a new card.....does the trick OK.

If your stereo is like mine was - separate bits, just use the amp and the speakers.

Why spend money when you don't have to???

allblack
08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Black and 3 thanks Beets. And real custard in the custard square...none of this gelatinous rubbery goo the cheap and nasty types use that resemble (what I imagine to be) implants :D

Oh yeah, chocolate icing too! :thumbs:

Cicero
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Um............the idea is not to use my stereo........... i havent for a year, its just moved house with me each time and not plugged in anytime, prob hasnt been used for a good 4 yrs? its has speakers i like, so ive kept it.

Peach ( puter) is playing music the whole time she is on... and only when i do sleep or watching telly does she not play music. I have approx over 100 CD's saved onto peach..... that i own and a few others :rolleyes: there could well be more i dont know how to work out how many gigs i have on her.
........ so she could go for days without me changing a setting and replaying a song.

budget is optional:p
i was thinking up to $500 but didnt realise they were as expensive as they are.....

but i can go look i spose.

i really dont know what i want, or should get, thats why asked.

but peach is my stereo. and she is also my photo storage facility, :p

beetle:rolleyes:
I was taken by the system Bose use,sub woofer that is.
I have a Creative set up with the sub woofer,cost about $200,4 years ago,everybody is pleased with sound,but then no serious music buffs to comment either.

Metla
08-01-2007, 07:34 PM
My suggestion would still be to buy a Stereo, and then plug your PC into it.

And an audio card if and when the budget allows, though these are cheap.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345802

Cicero
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
My suggestion would still be to buy a Stereo, and then plug your PC into it.

And an audio card if and when the budget allows, though these are cheap.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345802
Didn't she say she didn't listen to the stereo?That being the case I would suggest.

http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?69377

pine-o-cleen
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
If $500 is your budget, then these maybe?

http://www.bose.co.nz/site/index.aspx?path=products&CTRL=PG&pfid=9&pgid=106

I'd buy these without listening to them. I have never been disappointed by bose.

Cicero
09-01-2007, 07:28 AM
And remember that Vegetarian = an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter".

winmacguy
09-01-2007, 07:37 AM
If $500 is your budget, then these maybe?

http://www.bose.co.nz/site/index.aspx?path=products&CTRL=PG&pfid=9&pgid=106

I'd buy these without listening to them. I have never been disappointed by bose.

Nice choice.

beetle
09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Pardon Thomas ?

beetle

Cicero
09-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Pardon Thomas ?

beetle
Sorry about that Beet,just threw that in for a laugh.

Metla
09-01-2007, 08:27 PM
And remember that Vegetarian = an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter".

Lol. I like it. So much so that I intend to use it.....