PDA

View Full Version : usb port benchmark tools

lance4k
06-01-2007, 09:59 PM
ok my friend just got a laptop that said it comes with 2 usb 2.0 ports but when he plugs a usb 2.0 device into one of the ports it says it's Not a high speed usb port. so he only has one usb2.0 port and one usb 1.1 port.so we're wondering if anyone has a benchmark tool software to test the speeds of the usb ports?

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Either check the BIOS to see if the USB option is on highspeed, or make sure SP1 or 2 is installed if he's got XP.

Or SP4 if he's got Windows 2000.

And if he's got 98 it doesn't support USB 2. You need 98 SE + for USB 2

Nomad
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Have the service pack installed.
Look for "enhanced" under the USB device under Device Manager:
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Just put on SP2 for someone and his multi function does not go faster that I can tell ...

If its a memory card reader or HDD then it may, but firewire I heard is a better option for speed.

I think its difficult if you use software to test it, it would have difficulty in relating which actual port physically is the quicker one. The software may test it but how does it know which port? - the left or the right - it can't tell how the wires are wired underneath the case. AFAIK.

I guess there may be a hardware test you can plug in, but not sure you want to pay for that. Maybe refer to the manual? What about using a device and timing the scanner when its scanning the same paper. If you have a USB 2.0 certified memory card reader that would be great esp if you got a reasonably fast memory card that can let it burst out ..

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Fire wire is faster for video, and most probably faster if the hdd was external in a case.

If the device is USB 2 as well, it maybe faster. BUT u can't really tell the diff.