PDA

View Full Version : A question for the ladies

JJJJJ
06-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Shop was out of my favorite "free range" eggs, so I bought the same brand of "organic" eggs.

Question: Whats the difference between free range and organic??? (apart from price)

beetle
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
LOL

Free range means this chickens run loose, out in the pen or paddock ? eat whatever they find and are fed.

Organic means they are only fed organic food, (natural) nothing preservative or synthetic in there diet? no additives, no sprays etc.

asfaik

beetle

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 10:29 AM
LOL

Free range means this chickens run loose, out in the pen or paddock ? eat whatever they find and are fed.

Organic means they are only fed organic food, (natural) nothing preservative or synthetic in there diet? no additives, no sprays etc.

asfaik

beetle

I'm not a woman but yes that sounds correct.

Nomad
06-01-2007, 10:35 AM
If you want to taste the difference get a organic free range chicken (fresh) but prepared for you from a chicken farm than at a supermarket. The difference is amazing .... many ethnic restaurants get them from those pple as well for events such as big day banquets such as wedding and stuff....

The difference is great :) But they are not cheap thou around $15-25 if not mistaken. All the cookbooks would suggest you get organic vegetables, meats, eggs etc...

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Even organic salt that I had once at a friends place had an INSANE difference, the taste was divine by comparison, adds so much more flavor to a meal :D

beetle
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Since when did you all turn into Ladies????????????????? :eek:

beetle :lol:

Nomad
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
One thing is the chicken is not on steroids like Tegel :D so they not as pumped up.
I think the organic eggs are larger thou - maybe the normal stuff they produce premature offsprings :rolleyes:

I like cooking ... I heard there were more males in the industry but at the home kitchen its more female dominant.

dolby digital
06-01-2007, 11:12 AM

You never really know when you are on the web... :lol:

Of course I would never say that I am really good looking, rich etc etc to impress a fellow web user especially one of the opposite sex :rolleyes:

dolby digital
06-01-2007, 11:15 AM
One thing is the chicken is not on steroids like Tegel :D so they not as pumped up.

I need some pumped up muscules. More Tegel chickens then :p

plod
06-01-2007, 11:18 AM

probably not ladies, just a bunch of blouses:lol:

tweak'e
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
ok i'll put a skirt on...... ;)

my neighbour does free range organic eggs. one problem they have had is the organic feed they bought (which is hugely expensive) appears to be 'faulty'. it seems to be missing something as the eggs are quite small. other chook farms have mentioned the same thing. making organic plants can be very tricky and i guess its easy to miss something and end up deficient of a mineral.

if the ground if mineral deficient then the plants are deficient, the animals which eat them are also deficient which can cause problems for us :(

thats one thing mass produced food can miss. they may bulk up with basic fert but the soil can get quite deficient in trace elements. exspecially as parts of NZ are well known for being narturally deicient in various elements.

allblack
06-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I think the organic eggs are larger thou - maybe the normal stuff they produce premature offsprings :rolleyes:

I like cooking ... I heard there were more males in the industry but at the home kitchen its more female dominant.

Tis a peculiar irony that proves the sexism wrong....all the great chefs in the world are male.

If the kitchen is a place where women belong, why isn't there a Mrs Escoffier/Roux/White????

My :2cents:

T

beetle
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Who?

what has that got to do with eggs? i never said it was wrong to have males / females in the kitchen. whoever enjoys the cooking can be in there, it just wont be me......:p

anyway where have all the ladies of pf1 gone?

beetle

plod
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
anyway where have all the ladies of pf1 gone?

beetle

in the kitchen cooking their men lunch

allblack
06-01-2007, 12:55 PM

OUTSTANDING! :thumbs:

Of course, I totally disagree with the sentiment, :D a

beetle
06-01-2007, 01:18 PM
So since everyone in this thread has posted in a female oriented thread, says that they are female? or male?:rolleyes:

what did you ladies then cook for your men?
ooooooops... i mean those guys that call themselves blouse's......... or are you guys cooking for your other halves?
which are you then, a guy or a blouse? :p or maybe youre cooking for the other 'person' in your life then:p
cant be gender oriented now can we...

hahahahaha

beetle

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Fortunatley some of us guys can cook pretty well after flatting for a number of years and currently still do even though we are married. Must admit it is quite an advantage to be able to impress a woman in the kitchen ;)

SurferJoe46
06-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Firstly...ORGANIC means that there is at least ONE carbon molecule in the ingredients somewhere...that's all...no more...no less....

So...if you are eating something that was growing, reproduced and is now dead and on your plate..it is ORGANIC. It does not mean that there is nothing in-organic in the production of the product.

The farm used fertilizer..and I guarantee IT's organic!

The farmer used hydrocarbonous-based tractors-cultivators-convyor belts-trucks and trains to deliver the produce..and that too does not spoil the organic label. OK....the windshield and the plastic engine parts might be a disqualifier here...but who's counting?

I also raise range chickens..and turkeys and ducks and guinea hens for that matter....and all that means is that they get out to get some sunshine on them, eat a few bugs (and the nematodes they contain) stretch their wings/feet/claws and I also feed them on 28% high protein food.

It might also be noted that free range might also mean they wander on an old nuclear waste site or someplace where they dropped a few nuclear devices either accidently or on purpose.

Odds are that you aren't getting nuclear ranged fowl..but it is possible. Read the label really closely..it MIGHT be in 4pt font. :p

Now, "natural" is another one of those elusive titles that has come to mean something other that what it appears.

Vomit and urine is natural, and I daresay also organic. Viruses (virii?) are both natural and organic too. Rats and marsupials are also organic, and in the wild are also natural too.

A nudist colony is also "natural" and I they are also carbon-based beings too.

The rest of the "Organic" garbage is just that..garbage. It is intended to make people buy a product that is substantially higher priced for something that is suspect in nutrients at least, equal in others...all this to appease advertisers and feel-good "humanists" with a Phd in Humanities or Sartorial Appearances..

Get over it...eat real food and not something that is deprived of naturalness...and don't waste money on such "feel-good" foods. :blush:

If you really want healthy foods, grow your own and control the whole production as you see fit. Buying something that is not what it says it is is just foolishness and a waste of money to appease a poorly trained conscience.

There's a saying that middle European doctors have about Americans and their devotion to food fads and nutrients: "Americans have the most valuable urine in the world". Don't fall for it too.

:2cents: :2cents:

pctek
06-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Why is this a question for the ladies? They have special knowledge of chickens or something?

Anyway, most "organic" is bollocks. I'm with Surferjoe on that one.
Oh look, caterpillar infested, chewed scabby veges, must be "organic".

Whats the difference betwwen free range chook eggs and battery farmed ones?

Well the free range chooks have a nicer life.

And usually the yolks are a darker colour because they get to eat a lot of greenery. However if keep your back yard chooks in a chook pen and don't feed them greenery then there isn't a lot of difference in the eggs.

The other difference most people notice is the difference between real fresh eggs and ones that have been sitting around for a few days.

I have been using both recently and have kept hens before and thats it.

We are about to construct a chook pen and get a couple of hens - they will get to wander around the garden and eat weeds and grass and kitchen scraps but only cause I like happy chooks and think they should get a decent life before ending up in the pot.

Size usually indicates the age of the hen, older ones generally produce bigger eggs. And you need to ensure they get enough calcium and stuff for proper shell production too. Ever seen a calcium deficient egg? I have.......perfectly edible I guess, and nice and easy for the chook to pass but rather gross looking........and hard to pick up.

Oh and another thing - those misleading labels on supermarket eggs. Only the ones specifically marked SPCA approved are allowed to wander outdoors a bit. The rest are stuck in a barn and fed pellets or are battery hens.

plod
06-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Must admit it is quite an advantage to be able to impress a woman in the kitchen ;)

not the kitchen you have to impress them in, its the bedroom that counts(insert favorite place)

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 09:05 PM
not the kitchen you have to impress them in, its the bedroom that counts(insert favorite place)

Ah, if you impress them with your culinary skills they will be taking you into the bedroom afterwards ;)

plod
06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Ah, if you impress them with your culinary skills they will be taking you into the bedroom afterwards ;)

if i could cook there would be no need for me being married

Metla
06-01-2007, 09:30 PM
I can cook, But why the hell would I want to.

TideMan
06-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I agree with Metla:

I can cook, But why the hell would I want to.

Another way of putting it:
Why have a dog and bark yourself?

TideMan
06-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Actually, I think the original post had totally flawed logic.
Would you ask an auto mechanic for advice on how well a car drives?
Just because they fix it doesn't give them any qualification to advise on how comfortable it is on the road or how good the driving experience is.
Similarly, the cook is not qualified to comment on how good food tastes.
That requires someone with years of experience in eating and tasting food.
Someone such as myself, for example.
After years of testing, I have become very skilled at detecting food that I like from food that I do not.
And I must say that organic food is generally inferior to non-organic food:
1. It's always more expensive;
2. It's usually scrawny compared to food that has had the bugs killed before they attack it;
3. The taste of organic food is indistinguishable from GE or sprayed food: what is more important is the freshness.
etc
etc

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
if i could cook there would be no need for me being married

Old school way of thinking. X3 (either that or your all taking the piss....)

Metla
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Nothing wrong with Old School.

Hell, I could probably clean a toilet as well, Though thats a guess with no real world way of finding out.

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Similarly, the cook is not qualified to comment on how good food tastes.

I think a few chefs around the world would probably argue the point there- or just spit on the food they were about to give you.

If I was a woman and I had just prepared a culinary delight for you that you didn't like - I would tell you that you could either go hungry, cook it your self or get take out, and by the way your on the couch tonight.

But that is just hypothetically speaking. ;)

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Nothing wrong with Old School.

Hell, I could probably clean a toilet as well, Though thats a guess with no real world way of finding out.

If she had any sense a woman would probably argue the point there - and win. Mind you on saying that I am not very good at cleaning the toilet, I do the laundry, dishes, cook, lawns and a bit of vacuming from time to time.:p

Metla
06-01-2007, 11:09 PM
If she had any sense a woman would probably argue the point there - and win. Mind you on saying that I am not very good at cleaning the toilet, I do the laundry, dishes, cook, lawns and a bit of vacuming from time to time.:p

Sounds like one day you will make some bloke very happy with those skills, Though you do have a strange name for a chick.

JJJJJ
07-01-2007, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=pctek;513675]Why is this a question for the ladies? They have special knowledge of chickens or something?

QUOTE]

I've never met a lady who did not have special knowledge of food.
All I know is how to eat it.
If it doesn't taste right I tell the lady.
I don't tell her how to fix it. That's her job.

If she can't i'll go to the fish and chip shop.

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 09:03 AM
My guess is your in the category of guys whose wife has dutifully cooked for her husband as long as they have been married to each other because that is the way it has always been done. I am also assuming that you may have been married for longer than I have been alive. I which case I'll say congratulations and many happy returns. :)

Nomad
07-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Wait to the day of divorce - LOL
Back to cooking and cleaning ..

allblack
07-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Wait to the day of divorce - LOL
Back to cooking and cleaning ..

Hahahahaha......not a problem if you used to do it anyway :p

pctek
07-01-2007, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=pctek;513675]Why is this a question for the ladies? They have special knowledge of chickens or something?

QUOTE]

I've never met a lady who did not have special knowledge of food.

I know heaps who can't cook and couldn't care less.

My son used this argument at the age of 11 when I insisted he learn to cook. Properly.

His flatmates/girlfriend/wife would cook. I said what if girlfriend/wife can't?
Ah no, he said, that wouldn't happen.
Anyway a year later of making him cook something completely different, from scratch, no packet cheating, once a week, he decided he rather liked cooking and certain meals he did better than me (his opinion) so I was banned from making them when he was around.

And as it turned out his girl can't cook. Well, after 11 years she is learning - but he's still chief chef in their household. He even nearly became a chef.....

Why do you think more chefs are men than women?

Metla
07-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Because men are superior. Hell, We only let women do the cleaning, cooking, child rearing so that they can have something to take pride in apart from their appearance. Though appearance is still the most important aspect.

That and not speaking loudly in public.

allblack
07-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree with that approach.

I'll be teaching my boys to cook....whether they want to is a moot point.

Each to their own....I love it. (But not baking). In winter...not hot summers.

Bottle/s of red....stereo wound up.....playtime! A chance to be alone, and creative. The wise one's leave the house, those with a death-wish remain and offer opinions! :D

I do not include baking in this, as that is not cooking, it's science. Limited room for creativity.

JJJJJ
07-01-2007, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=JJJJJ;513845]

Men make pretty things you are supposed to admire.
Women (usually) make food you can eat.

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Because men are superior. Hell, We only let women do the cleaning, cooking, child rearing so that they can have something to take pride in apart from their appearance. Though appearance is still the most important aspect.

That and not speaking loudly in public.

Hmm men are superior but can only have enough blood in their body to use either their brain or their d**k but never both at the same time. ;)

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I agree with that approach.

I'll be teaching my boys to cook....whether they want to is a moot point.

Each to their own....I love it. (But not baking). In winter...not hot summers.

Bottle/s of red....stereo wound up.....playtime! A chance to be alone, and creative. The wise one's leave the house, those with a death-wish remain and offer opinions! :D

I do not include baking in this, as that is not cooking, it's science. Limited room for creativity.

I'm with you on that one allblack, depending on what kids my wife and I end up having.

Cicero
07-01-2007, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=pctek;513981]

Men make pretty things you are supposed to admire.
Women (usually) make food you can eat.
You don't get 3 star Michelin rating by just looking pretty,my son.

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=JJJJJ;514002]
You don't get 3 star Michelin rating by just looking pretty,my son.

Well said Cicero:cool:

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Because men are superior.

The fact that you have to mention it makes it an oxymoron.

chocolate2006
08-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Reading this thread is like time travel to the dark ages... pfft...lonely old men.

hcl
08-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Reading this thread is like time travel to the dark ages... pfft...lonely old men.

If they were lonely old men, they wouldn't have anyone to cook & clean for them

Cicero
08-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Funny you should say that,I thought it was the road to enlightenment!

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM

That about sums it up. ;)