PDA

View Full Version : Leave the B..... thing alone

bugalugs67
04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Trying to log on to the internet (using Outlook)but the username keeps getting replaced everytime the computer is shut down. The username (Name@xtra.co.nz) is deleted and the numbers 127.0.0.1 is inserted in the form everytime the machine is shut down. Unfortunatly the old gentleman is not very computer literate and cant see why he has to change things everytime.
The machine is running McAfee and I suspect this is making the change. Apart from deleting it, where do I find the means of control.

SurferJoe46
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
You better get a little hardware info to the guys here...I am sure they will want to know about Routers, DSL or Dial-Up, Windows (or any other) Operating System used, etc.

CaptinMoor
04-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi there, can you please explain exactly what the problem is. Your previous thread are a little ambiguous. Who is the old guy, what OS is he running, what exacltly is his problem and how can we help. Please posta detailed thread and i will do my up most to help.

Thanks,

Tim

bugalugs67
04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
The machine is a new Dell running XP and he is using MS Outlook and Internet Exploder. The connection is Dialup and the connection is established OK. But when Outlook is used to check for mail the error messages start. Checking Tools, Account the username has been changed from Name@xtra.co.nz to 127.0.0.1. Correcting that and it works again.

Switch off and next time 'on' the username has been changed back to this 127.0.0.1

The only security is McAfee and what XP has and I am not familiar with that or with Outlook.

The guy is in his eighties and is just starting computers for something to do in his old age when he gets less active and lives some miles away so communication is a bit of a problem.

I suspect that McAfee is trying to direct the connection through its firewall or something. If he hadn't signed up for 3 years supply I would have dumped it.

Any help will be appreciated

bugalugs

Greg
04-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I think the first thing you can do to help is to get him to install a firewall. Zonelabs' Zonealarm is a popular free one. Once that's installed turn off XP's firewall.

Then, a recommendation is to give up using Outlook and IE and to use a Mozilla based browser and email app, such as Mozilla suite or Firefox + Thunderbird. However good and featured Outlook is it's a pretty sure bet that he'd never need all its features.

bugalugs67
05-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks I have a look at that. That was my first reaction because I use all of those myself, plus a few more.

However. a sales droid had talked him into paying for 3 years with McAfee so thought better use that, and that I had better keep him mainstream on MS so others could help him.

(Not being selfish, but he's only a casual friend who asked for help and I don't realy want him to see me as his sole consultant/assistant/repairer and call on me to go out there everytime something falls over.)

drcspy
05-01-2007, 08:45 AM
turn off the antivirus mail scanner......