PDA

View Full Version : Yes mum i know ........i wont...

beetle
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi there nosy person:p

How many of you have the rule...........no eating or drinking by, on anywhere near the computer, keyboard and assorted items connected to the computer? this rule is for children? partners? yourself? :eek:

How many of you yoursleves break this rule?

Currently how many coffee or drinking cups are on or near your computer? on the desk maybe? :p

i have now..only one, but some crackers and humus and shock horror left over chocolates from xmas the kids havnt polished off yet....... sitting here to be consumed at some point.

i have this rule............. for my children.... sigh......... and so far we have done great............no one has spilt anything on any of our puters, keyboards etc.........yet....

touch wood, knock knock.

beetle

Jen
04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
/me licking the cheese scone crumbs off my finger tips while typing this ...

plod
04-01-2007, 06:23 PM
rules apply to everyone in the house except the bill payer(me)

Graham L
04-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Crumbs don't hurt. It's liquids which do the damage. Sticky liquids (such as suger rich ones) are the worst.

Murphy's law has no exceptions. If liquids are near, they will get spilt sooner or later. The only safe rule is to keep them away.

beetle
04-01-2007, 06:32 PM
But Graham that doesnt say whether you break the food rule?

:illogical

beetle

Jen
04-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Rule #1: never have a mouthful of fizzy drink while chatting online with a friend with a wicked sense of humour ... getting the sticky marks off the LCD is just as bad. :rolleyes:

beetle
04-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah and dont look at beetle jokes...from a link.........when drinking hot coffee............ cos things burn...........and the keyboards and monitors dont do so good either.......:D

beetle

the godfather
04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
If I did not eat and drink at the keyboard I would starve, either through lack of productivity by taking meal breaks (no work=no money) or by not eating or drinking as I have not enough time to take the break ....

But most keyboards will survive a trip through a dishwasher if done correctly and fully dried out after washing.

noone
04-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Mum - "No eating at computer"
...come home early from school one day, mum split coffee all over keyboard
Me ", lol, ***, you eat at computer"
Mum, "Im allowed to, immm mum"
Me, "Can Dad"
Mum, "Yea"
Me, "So if i become a Dad i can eat at the computer" (im 17)
....results in me getting a lecture bout having to be out of uni, and be happily married before i can have kids.

Sue
04-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Kids have left home but as I know both DH & I eat & drink near the only computer we have I bought a clear silicon keyboard protector (iSkin) for my iBook.
Just a little bit of insurance that keeps everyone happy. :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I have cleaned mine in the dishwasher a few times...and there's another thread all about that.

I think if someone was very enterprizing, they'd invent a little door on the bottom to let the fried chicken and tortilla chips out thru the bottom like a toaster.

The only keyboard I've tried the dishwasher on is my TrendMicro one.....it seems to rather enjoy it's yearly trip.

PS: If I can make the edit deadline, I'll try to find that thread.....pray for me..brb...

GOT IT!...and under the time limit: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=73496&highlight=dishwasher

...one thing to remember...please unplug the keyboard from the tower or at least remove the batteries if it's wireless before insertion into the dishwasher and DO NOT USE THE HIGH HEAT DRIER/STERILIZATION CYCLE EITHER!!!!

The_End_Of_Reality
04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
*Puts hand up*

I do it all the time, I spilt my drink once, but JUST managed to slam the KB and mouse tray out of the way... phew, my $350 investment safe to type and click another day :D

Currently there are no cups or any food here... mainly 'cause I have just had a tidy up!!! ask me what it was like 4 hours ago :xmouth:

trinsic
04-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Cup of Milo is about as bad as it gets. 24/7 there is always bound to be one there :D

lagbort
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
currently looking at 6 cups, 3 bowls and 2 empty bottles of V :p , I don't get around to cleaning up much...

R2x1
04-01-2007, 09:26 PM
double post

R2x1
04-01-2007, 09:27 PM
OK SurferJoe46, I have tried this scheme, but now my laptop won't boot. The battery makes strange hissing noises and a peculiar substance oozes out of the speakers. Did I use the wrong sort of dishwasher powder?

beetle
04-01-2007, 09:32 PM
God R2 been home a day and youve wrecked it already? :p

i have currently 1 empty coffee cup, 1 empty glass, still got chocolates, but ate the hummis, and chips........and just removed 3 coffee cups, a plate of uneaten food... man i hate cooking.... coffee tastes better.... oh and the last of a packet of choc fish ....
some muchos the kids dumped here....... nothing else edible on here......
must be time for another coffee.......

beetle

rob_on_guitar
04-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I currently have 9 empty beer bottles, 2 used glasses, i half full bottle of bourbon, an empty coffee mug and macca wrappers.

sheesh, how embarressing....

bob_doe_nz
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
On my desk now...

I have a Wii remote, 5 various payment receipts, bank and internet statements, a box of single use eye drops, star trek books, fishing twine, digital camera, camera bag, Vicks Vapodrops, audio extension cables, my hat containing 2x 3 metre tape measures, a LED torch, 2x USB dongles, highlighter, and pen, a webcam which I borrowed but have yet to return, earphones, battery container, 2x pairs of basic binoculars, ADSL filter, one of those eye covers that airlines give out, two shopping bags, and lots of various paper bits lying around there too.

Oh and cable ties.:waughh:

beetle
04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
any food Bob?

:illogical

beetle

Renmoo
04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I have always made it a policy that no drinks are allowed on the computer desk, but I think I have only broken this rule a few times. :D

As for food, the only time I have muesli bar wrappers strewn on the desk is when I have got to rush my reports, like the one when I had to stay up to 5am just to finish my Biology internal.

Cheers :)

personthingy
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
I have a cheap keyboard, even if i drown and kill it... $10.. not the end of the world

So the answer is yes.. i eat and drink by the computer

SurferJoe46
05-01-2007, 05:24 AM
I currently have 9 empty beer bottles, 2 used glasses, i half full bottle of bourbon, an empty coffee mug and macca wrappers.

sheesh, how embarressing....

I would also expect to see some broken Fender picks, an empty Gibson "E-6" string wrapper and maybe a half-used bottle of "Dr. Stringfellow (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kyser-Dr.-Stringfellow-String-Cleaner-and-Lubricant?sku=421901&src=3SOSWXXA)" there too.

Toss in a capo and the scene would be complete.

Greven
05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I've only got 1 empty beer bottle on my computer desk, but that will probably increase if the warm weather continues & I don't get round to cleaning up.

The only time I've had anything spilt near my computer was at a LAN party - someone knocked over their coke :groan:. Luckily there wasn't much left so it all pooled on top of my old DVD writer. The case cleaned up fine, but the DVD writer always remained a bit sticky.

Thomas01
06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Before I completely retired I spent some time teaching computer skills both formal classroom situations and "in house - mine or theirs".

I always made my clients aware of my own rule :-

If you can afford and are willing to pay for any needed repairs then eating and drinking at the computer is acceptable. Otherwise definitely NO.

Several contributers have made the point that keyboards are now very cheap anyway.
Not worth the bother.
But a laptop!!
Tom

beeswax34
06-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I have had lunch, dinner, breakfast and snacks and anything else near my computer, laptop and Pocket PC and till now haven't done any damage. My parents always tell me not to do this but they enjoy as well while using said devices. :):):):)

rawkus1020
08-01-2007, 07:48 PM
i need to apply that rule to myself i was drinking bourbon the other day but before i could swallow i coughed unexpectedly and it went all over my screen and wall my girlfriend was not empressed ha but i was ha

Graham L
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
If I did not eat and drink at the keyboard I would starve, either through lack of productivity by taking meal breaks (no work=no money) or by not eating or drinking as I have not enough time to take the break ....

But most keyboards will survive a trip through a dishwasher if done correctly and fully dried out after washing.Productivity would probably increase with regular breaks away from the computer. That's the time for food and drinks.

No time for breaks but time to put keyboards through a dishwasher?

Cicero
08-01-2007, 07:56 PM
So don't forget,
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.;)