PDA

View Full Version : Broadband ISP selection

Rugrats
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I've been connected with Orcon for the past couple of years, I'm looking at changing ISP because of persistent connection issues, particularly to World of Warcraft (yes, I'm a WoW addict and I'm changing ISP's primarily because of that. Sad, I know, but spare me the moral judgements. :)

So, this question goes to the WoW'rs in the audience - which ISP do you use, and do they give you satisfactory performance in WoW?

(For reference, I'll have several days a month where WoW is *completely* unplayable due to latency, even standing still in an isolated area I'll be upwards of 1000ms latency.)

CaptinMoor
04-01-2007, 09:32 PM
There could be a couple of issue surrounding this problem that you are having. Where is the game server held. You must remember that you data has to travel to the server and then back again before you can preform any action. If the server is held within NZ and you are still having lagging issues then I would kill your firewall and any other application that use the net and see if that improves things. If there is no resolution then I would suggest changing servers.

As U can probably tell I am not a War Craft Player, but I have had my issues with Americas Army and major lagging issues.

So to help you we need a bit more information.

1. Where is the server held
2. If you ping the Server IP address what sort of time do you get
3. When you are experiencing lagging within the game exit and do a broadband test and post what you results are. Keep in mind that you need to preform this test in the same country that the server is held in.

Any ways let me know how you get on. :rolleyes:

Rugrats
04-01-2007, 11:35 PM
1: The server is in California, USA.

2: I can tracert to the server provider while I'm having these latency issues, and I'll get ~250-300ms ping (while I'm getting upwards of 1k latency in the game).

3: I haven't actually done a broadband test while I'm experiencing in-game issues, but my seat-of-the-pants feeling is that most normal traffic is fine (I've been able to surf in the background, have TeamSpeak or Pandora going, etc.). This issue has happened before, and when I ticketed it they (Orcon) told me they were having UDP traffic issues with one of their upstream providers.

Rugrats
05-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Just tested, using dslreports.com speed test served from SF, CA, I got 569 Kb/s download, 130 Kb/s upload, 150ms latency to server. This is with WoW running in the background, showing 1000+ latency. Pity there's no speed test sites that do UDP traffic testing.

In any case, there are a couple other Kiwis I know of on my server, and they're playing fine, so I know it's not a New Zealand-wide problem, it's more or less just me.