PDA

View Full Version : No Video...

Lockie
04-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Am running XP Pro on my Laptop and have lost the ability to play .avi files in Internet Explorer (i.e: online movie trailers, etc). Still have sound, but only get a blank green screen. All codecs appear to be where they should be. Upgraded to IE 7.0, no change.
Any thoughts much appreciated.:confused:

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Lockie, welcome to PressF1.

When you say "All codecs appear to be where they should be", just what codecs are these? Are you using a Codec pack?
Can you play the files when downloaded and in WindowsMediaPlayer?

Try going to www.videolan.org and getting VLC, see if that plays the files so we can narrow down the cause.

Renmoo
04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Lockie. Check that you have not inadvertently disabled video playback under multimedia in Internet Explorer 7. Have you tried using another browser such as Firefox to see if the problem is still there?

Cheers :)

Lockie
04-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Guys
Thanks for your info.
Slight error on my part, it seems .asf files not .avi file that are the issue.
Yes, the problem is the same in Firefox.
All restrictions and settings are set to least anal.
All firewalls and antivirus disabled. Am on a full speed ADSL connection.
The only site I can get video to work on is Youtube, but that seems to rely on Flash Player.
Xtra, TV3 & TVNZ sites seem to rely on Media Player and won't werk! I run Media Player 10.
Have tried reinstalling all the codecs. The only codec packs I have are the standard WMplayer ones.
I use VLC player and it works well, it just seems to be streaming video that is the problem.
Unfortunately things used to work, and I can't pin the problem down to occuring when something else was installed.
Maybe god is punishing me for too much surfing at work....!
Cheers

Renmoo
04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi there. In Windows Media Player, go to "Tools", then "Options". Next, click "Network" tab and make sure there is a tick for "HTTP" option.

Cheers :)

SurferJoe46
04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Guys
Thanks for your info.
Slight error on my part, it seems .asf files not .avi file that are the issue.
Yes, the problem is the same in Firefox.
All restrictions and settings are set to least anal.
All firewalls and antivirus disabled. Am on a full speed ADSL connection.
The only site I can get video to work on is Youtube, but that seems to rely on Flash Player.
Xtra, TV3 & TVNZ sites seem to rely on Media Player and won't werk! I run Media Player 10.
Have tried reinstalling all the codecs. The only codec packs I have are the standard WMplayer ones.
I use VLC player and it works well, it just seems to be streaming video that is the problem.
Unfortunately things used to work, and I can't pin the problem down to occuring when something else was installed.
Maybe god is punishing me for too much surfing at work....!
Cheers

Strange..I never thought getting YouTube in WMP10 was something that others cannot do. I refuse to allow WMP 11 or any newer version that will eventially come along, to get into my system though. The DRM's and anti-garbage that M$ wants me to install aren't gonna happen!

I run a physical firewall and a software one, all sorts of anti-stuff and get no problems in either FF or IE for streams either.

I get all my streaming sites and even radio simulcasts and streams there too...Hmmm?

I have not gone to any place to get special codecs that I know of..but I DO remember things changed when I installed TweakUI....even my sign-on to Windows .wav file was changed to much nicer music than that old Windows stuff.

God does not work that way. :xmouth:

Just for fun, try these sites and see if WMP gets them:

Kulack's Woodshed (mms://wms.partner-streaming.com/kulak1)

KFI 640 AM radio, Los Angeles, California (http://a814.l1977144512.c19771.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/814/19771/v0001/reflector:44512)

NZ Radio (mms://202.7.7.90/rnz-natrad)

CaptinMoor
04-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi there Lockie, could this beas simple as you having your default media player set to another player that does not have the correct codecs installed. What happens if you download a Advanced Streaming Format (.asf file) and then go into My computer and view the file manually. Try opening this file with a player that you have a codec loaded for. Say WMP that should do the trick. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Lockie
05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Again

Still no luck after much fiddling.
All file associations are correct, WMP set to look after all multimedia related ones.
Tried reinstalling WMP10 as a last ditch attempt, no change.
Unfortunately IE 7 doesn't have an uninstall option.
Uninstalled every other media player on my machine (VLC, Winamp & Realplayer), no change.
Also uninstalled Firefox just in case, no change.
Downloading and playing .asf, .wmv, .avi and any other file works fine when opened up within WMP, but I still only get sound and plain green screen when viewing streaming feeds from within IE7.
SurferJoe46
Yr Kulack site worked fine, but it opens WMP to do so, same with NZ Radio. The LA site doesn't appear to be there at the moment.

Ain't beat yet, will keep playing.

Thks for everyones help so far

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Lockie, what happens when you try and play a WMV file, like a movie trailer from http://ultimatedvd.org/en/

SurferJoe: WMP has NOTHING to do with YouTube or the likes, they all use Flash to play their files :)

Lockie
07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Tried your suggested site.
The trailers that ran from inside IE.... sound, no picture.
The ones that opened WMP, no problems.
All the quicktime trailers played, no issues there.
Soooo, is it a WMP issue, or an IE issue??
Thks again

SurferJoe46
08-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Lockie, what happens when you try and play a WMV file, like a movie trailer from http://ultimatedvd.org/en/

SurferJoe: WMP has NOTHING to do with YouTube or the likes, they all use Flash to play their files :)

I'd like to agree with you here on the YouTube/WMP10 association...but whenever I open a link in YouTube, I get it on WMP...

ALL my YouTube vids open in WMP, not just an occasional one...I can send screenshots..maybe if that'll work..but they all open WMP10!

I then have the option to ADD them to SAVED vids in WMP10...and when I do, I have them for my own...I can watch my modem and router, and there's NO ACTIVITY when I play them from WMP after I have saved them there.....

I don't know how this happened, and it's just on the XP-Pro/SP-2, SOYO Athlon with all the other media stuff I have been collecting.

Do you suppose I have some sort of VM for playing them (YouTube) in WMP? I really don't know...

.....and get this: none of the other LAN'd puters can do it either!

I have been working (as you might know) on getting this puter to act as some sort of server for my MP3's and Vids...this MIGHT be a glorious accident!

SurferJoe46
10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Final shot here:

I have a utility called Sherlock to test your codecs...it's here (http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html), it's free and leaves no cookies, spies or baddies....

I like to save the output to WordPad for printing, as it will sometimes try to print in landscape format and it won't be visible...but other than that..it's a god one to save somewhere in your toolkit...

:2cents: