PDA

View Full Version : Power out - CPU fan error

NZHawk
03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
A customer brought me a computer.
There was a power out during usage.
When they boot the computer they get "CPU fan error. press F1 to continue"
Pressing F1 just reboots the computer -- which starts the cycle over.
They have an ASUS P5S800-VM motherboard.
Any insights or suggestions what to test or how to get the computer to boot.

Cheers,

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Check the BIOS and see if Q-Fan is enabled. If it is disable it. It looks like that error means the speed of the CPU isn't fast enough.

If its there and already disabled, disable the CPU monitoring entry, if there's one there.What version of the BIOS is on board.

It looks like 1013 of the BIOS :

P5S800-VM Bios version 1013

1. Change CPU Fan Low Limit to 800rpm
2. Fix HCT CPU may test fail with 6XX CPU

And it looks like its upto 1020 of the BIOS now.

NZHawk
03-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Q-Fan is disabled.
CPU fan is 1730 rpm.
Chassis Fan Speed: N/A
CPU Temp 39.5
Didn't find any CPU monitoring.

NZHawk
03-01-2007, 04:59 PM
CPU Fan speed can be ignored, which I have done.
But the computer still won't boot.

NZHawk
03-01-2007, 05:36 PM
A Repair install now allows me to boot into Windows XP Home but I still have to press F1 to get past the CPU fan error message.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
And what version of the BIOS is on it?

What does it say on the post screen?

It does bring up the post screen doesn't it??

Or try clearing the CMOS, turn the system off and remove the CMOS battery/jumper, after a min put it back in, and reconfigure the BIOS.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Or disable the halt on error option in the BIOS.

NZHawk
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
And what version of the BIOS is on it?
AMIBIOS 2005
What does it say on the post screen?
Auto-detecting USB mass storage devices...
00 USB Mass storage devices found and configured
CPU Fan Error!
Press F1 to resume

It does bring up the post screen doesn't it??
Yes

Or try clearing the CMOS, turn the system off and remove the CMOS battery/jumper, after a min put it back in, and reconfigure the BIOS.
I restored the default bios setting & still get the error

I disabled the "Wait for 'F1' if error.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
The post screen should say something like BIOS REVISION 1010 or something which is the version of the BIOS.

AMIBIOS 2005 is most probably at the start of this line. The BIOS revision is at the end of it.

Other than that, the outage may have zapped something.

Which can't be fixed.

NZHawk
03-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Version 1009 BETA 005

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I would update the BIOS for starters.

Get 1021 from here (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5S800-VM/P5S1021.zip)

Remember to unzip it then put it on a bootable disk / USB flash drive.

Or see if it supports EZ-flash get the guy to read the manual. It'll be easier to flash.

And afudos (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5GD1-VM/AFUDOS207.zip)

Graham L
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Speedy: Why "Update the BIOS"? That is something to do when: (1) a revised BIOS code is known to fix a problem, and (2) that problem is known to occur in the particular machine. I've never seen a BIOS update which "fixes fan problem after power surges".

It worked before the power surge. Something happened. Changing the BIOS code won't "unhappen" it.

Apart from the complicated things:

Is the CPU fan properly plugged in? Does it rotate when it should?

:D

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Well it maybe working but it may fix some things that didn't work before.

And its a beta and its over a year old and the version thats on it atm, is so old its not even on the ASUS site :D

Graham L
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
The problem is that a fan error is reported. That's what needs to be fixed.

It might be appropriate to think about updating the BIOS after the computer has been restored to the way it was before the accident. The year old code, even beta code, doesn't cause a CPU fan error to be reported.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
And the updates fix the CPU fan low speed RPM, which maybe relevant.

timeryin
07-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Hello and a happy new year.
I have the same problem with this message CPU FAN ERROR at the post screen. I have a motherboard Asus P5B-V. The problem started yesterday although I have the pc over two months. I have updated the BIOS but the problem still consists. I dont see that message everytime that I reboot the pc but most of the times after the shut down. Do you thing that it is a hardware problem of the Fan??
If you have any solutions it will be very helpful.
Thank you.

NZHawk
07-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Happy New Year! Timeryin I followed Speedy's suggestion to turn the error reporting off. (Although, I am not comfortable with this as what if it is reporting a true problem.) I am uncertain if it's a hardware problem just yet. I am rechecking this problem with the computer supplier technicians. They are back on Monday, I'll let you know if they can shed any light on the problem. Cheers

ughnz
07-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Speedy: Why "Update the BIOS"? That is something to do when: (1) a revised BIOS code is known to fix a problem, and (2) that problem is known to occur in the particular machine. I've never seen a BIOS update which "fixes fan problem after power surges".

It worked before the power surge. Something happened. Changing the BIOS code won't "unhappen" it.

Apart from the complicated things:

Is the CPU fan properly plugged in? Does it rotate when it should?

:D

Maybe the power surge has corrupted the flash memory that contains the BIOS? in that case re-programming the BIOS will fix the problem.

Graham L
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
If ".. the power surge has corrupted the flash memory that contains the BIOS" there will be a (different) error message. That would cause a "BIOS Checksum" error. :cool:

It will be interesting to learn the actual problem ;)

ughnz
14-01-2007, 05:48 PM
If ".. the power surge has corrupted the flash memory that contains the BIOS" there will be a (different) error message. That would cause a "BIOS Checksum" error. :cool:

It will be interesting to learn the actual problem ;)

Not always, sometimes the checksum is only performed on static code not any additional dynamic data that is written to the flash chip.

Also the BIOS checksum error in most cases relates to the ECSD and or data stored in the battery backed RAM / EEPROM and not always the actual BIOS program code.

Graham L
15-01-2007, 03:15 PM
The BIOS code is checked every time by the POST. If it had been corrupted, that would cause a checksum error, and the boot process would stop. That's a fatal error.

If the BIOS configuration data in the "CMOS" memory is lost, that is non-fatal. It too is always checked in the POST.

I know that's the usual checksum error, but it's a different error.

It would be rare for the BIOS code to be corrupted, except by someone having an accident while "flashing" a new version. That's why I suggested that this has not happened.