PDA

View Full Version : Fixed or dynamic IP address?

bpt2
02-01-2007, 12:33 PM
When using utorrent I was advised to get a fixed IP. I did this by changing settings on my ADSL modem. Does this matter to my ISP? What are the pros and cons apart from using utorrent? Anywhere I can read up on this stuff?

limepile
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I thought that your ISP allocated you a static IP so that adsl was always live. Your router will assign an IP to your comp every time you start-up, my router had a field of 99 available and it would assign any one of those to me. I assigned a static adress to each comp on my network which works fine- using azureus bittorrent client,and having a static address makes porting easier.

Big John
03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
When using utorrent I was advised to get a fixed IP. I did this by changing settings on my ADSL modem. Does this matter to my ISP? What are the pros and cons apart from using utorrent? Anywhere I can read up on this stuff?

You don't need a fixed IP for uTtorrent. It works fine with a dynamic IP and behind a NAT router. If you have UPNP turned on in your router and XP then it will open the ports it requires automatically.
I use it all the time. Make sure you use a low port number around the 800 mark to get good speeds though as the normal ports it uses tend to be traffic shapped.

johnd
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I think there is an bit of confusion here? Your ISP controls whether or not the internet side of your ADSL modem is static or dynamic - as I understand it these days most are dynamic (DHCP) unless your require a static one for a server. On your side of the ADSL modem you can do what you like (static or dynamic). In most cases use DHCP since it automatically issues not only your IP number but also your gateway address (i.e. less configuration is required).