total virtual mem 2.00gb
available virtual mem 1.96gb
page file space 1.09gb

Disc size 74gb with 47gb free

30 processes running

set to run greater share of processor for best performance of programs

set to use greater share of memory to run programs

avast antivirus

altho i do regularly have virus problems...(i like to download new stuff all the time).. I have recently run anti virus... lavasoft adaware... disc check...disc clean up.... windows registry repair clean up pro......defragment.....all this improved it slightly but it still seems very slow to what it used to be...

mostly if i try to run 2-3 applications at once it gets b......y diabolically slow...

is there any adjustment i dont know about that might help

plod
02-01-2007, 11:32 AM
more RAM

Master_Frost
02-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I can say with 100% certainty this is your problem.

128 mb Ram

128MB is woeful for Windows XP. Most would agree 512Mb+ is the minimum if you want a responsive machine. Realistically 256Mb is still a dog with Windows XP.

Terry Porritt
02-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Right....."available phisical mem 20MB"......that's your problem.

Presumably you have integrated graphics, so try allocating less video RAM, say 32MB, and see if there is any improvement.

Also reduce to a minimum the number of programs running at start up.

But try and install another 256MB RAM as suggested

Jen
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
You have 256 MB of RAM, which I guess half of it is shared with your graphics.

Have you set some programs to run with a greater share of memory? I would put everything back to defaults unless you have a specific problem with one application.

If you have been installing lots of things, this will add clutter to your machine. Uninstall things you don't need anymore using Add/Remove. I would also have a look at what applications are running automatically at start up. If you go Start > Run and enter in msconfig, you will be able to view what is under the startup tab. The only essential items in startup should be your antivirus and firewall. You can look up the other listed items at the Startup Applications List (http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php) website.

You mention that you have regular virus problems. There are some types of malware that is not easily detected by regular antivirus or antispyware checks. Have a read of this FAQ Spyware, Adware & Viruses (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Spyware%2C_Adware_%26_Viruses) and make sure your system is actually clean. Post back here if you have any problems with it.

Another way of increasing the system performance is to use the Classic look rather than the XP standard appearance. Not as pretty, but will release some resources.

As already mentioned, the best way around the slow PC is to add more RAM. A 512 MB stick of RAM isn't that expensive and it is easy to install. You can always take it to a shop and have them do it if you prefer though.

zqwerty
02-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Set your Services Configuration to the "Safe" config:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

I absolutely recommend doing this even when you have lots of Ram.

hammer
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
ok.. thanks everyone... working on it...

only the 128mb of ram is showing up now. when i check it out properly there is 256 of ram so how do i change the allocation of that..?where is the other 128 being used...how do i find what it actually has....??
how do i change the video ram to 32mb as suggested..??

start up had one foriegn body still......

have changed back to classic look... not hung up on how things look....

how do i set my services configuration to the "safe" config..?

looks like i will have to get more ram tomorrow... and try to install it...

hammer
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
SORRY zqwerty went back and read your help properly .... had missed the link to look up...

hammer
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
i dont really get it...

in... my computer...view system info .... it says 128mb of ram

BUt if i go to.. help ....my computer info..... it says 256mb ram.. would this be the problem somehow..????

Terry Porritt
02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
The video memory allocation is set in the BIOS, otherwise known as the CMOS set up :)

The suggestion to reduce the video allocation to 32MB was a temporary expedient to free up a bit more main RAM.

However, you do really need more RAM, 256MB would be just about or barely ok if you had a separate video card with its own RAM, but as 128MB is being used by the integrated graphics, what is left over is way too little.

If you get more RAM, then the video allocation can be left as it is.

winmacguy
02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
All I can say is that you can never have too much RAM on your machine but you can certainly have a machine with not enough.

beeswax34
02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I had 184 MB's of RAM on my old Celeron 700Mhz processor running XP SP2 and had very few problems except when large programs such as Adobe started but then once it loaded, it was AOK.

linw
02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Listen to the others. 128MB is crippling a good cpu. XP is just a dog with 128MB available. Even doubling it makes it lift its game but 512MB-1GB is much more realistic.