PDA

View Full Version : Restore CD's

4Lowie
01-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi and a happy new year to all....... When I purchased my new Asus A2500 laptop I also got 2 recovery CD's. Over the last couple of years of playing with various programs its become cluttered and slower. What stage do the recovery disks work to? Will just restore the registry or rebuild the whole HDD?
(XPPro)
Do I just run then and see what happens???????????

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I think most recovery cd's / dvd's restore the system back to its original state.

Like the day u brought it.

trinsic
01-01-2007, 07:41 PM
From what I understand they allow you to restore back to a certain point (if they came with the laptop then they would be the very beginning of a windows install, eg. none of your programs).

When I done a custom recovery cd it acted just like a Windows Restore Point but my files where saved on cd instead.

Sounds like you do not have the Windows Install Cd but you will have the COA sticker. From reading OCForums it is ok to use someone elses Windows Install Cd as long as it's the same version (XP Pro, Home etc).

Hope that helps somewhat :)

Scouse
01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi 4Lowie. Re:Do I just run then and see what happens??????????? No. Before you even think about it, think of the acres of updates that you have downloaded over the last two years - think of the degree of backups you need to make. Not justy data in case you lose the lot, but all the odd little programmes you might have downloaded from various sites and installed. Again I say no. Don't just run it and see until you have a decent plan of recovery worked out on paper and all the necessary backup CD's made and verified. Think of SP2 and its download/install time if you don't have it on CD. Why don't you consider just doing a really good clean-up. My two-pennyworth based on experience of similar.

pctek
02-01-2007, 09:43 AM
It will put it back in the state that you bought it. You'll lose your data and all new software you have installed.

Before backing everything up and using them, why not try cleaning it up?
Scan for malware first, take out unnecessart startup items, uninstall unused programs and run CCleaner.

Then see how it goes.

4Lowie
27-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the replys, do you think the restore CD's would work with a new HDD? I'm thinking of upgrading so would the restore CD bring the new HDD back to the state I purchased it?

Thanks

drcspy
27-01-2007, 09:39 PM
stuff in a new hdd and run the restore cd's and you'll have the system exactly the same as the day you bought it but with presumably a bigger capacity....

4Lowie
28-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for that, that was just the answer I was looking for!