PDA

View Full Version : Xtra no longer has a 700mb cap between 4PM-12AM

lance4k
01-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Just saw this post on another forum >>>>
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=11090

Terry Porritt
01-01-2007, 03:45 PM
So now, it will be Telecoms "subjective" decision as to when to put naughty boys into the Fair Use "Pool", rather than a definitive download amount, that should cause some to get upset :)

http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,8752,205451-204363,00.html

winmacguy
01-01-2007, 03:51 PM
If it wasn't Telecom I would say it was amazing. Since it is Telecom I'll call it "Indian Giving" (What the right hand giveth the left hand taketh away)

trinsic
01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
And, if you do, all we ask is that you try and avoid big downloads during the peak hours of 4pm to 12am midnight. This policy shouldn't affect activity outside peak hours.

All they did was remove the limit and they can make it up on the spot now. For all we know it could be 200mb now. But anyway I am cancelling on the 11th so will see what they do if I just download 24/7 :angry

gum digger
01-01-2007, 04:00 PM
HOw does that matter. their speed is **** either way

amyes5
01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
They never introduced it! When I was having a grizzle about 2 weeks ago the guy on the Help Desk let slip that..."it hasn't been introduced yet"

msnforum
01-01-2007, 05:38 PM
What is this then?

"If we find that your Internet usage is very high and regularly affecting the service of our other customers, we may get in touch to talk about ways that can you can better manage your usage.

If your usage continues to be very high after we've contacted you, we may then transfer you to a Fair Use 'Pool' where you will have to share a fixed amount of bandwidth with other users for 1 week. This period may be extended at our discretion if your usage repeatedly affects other broadband customers.

Obviously, we don't want to have to do this, so we'd encourage you to take a few simple steps to avoid it. That way, the Fair Use Policy won't affect you and the rest of our broadband customers also get a fair go. "

It's still on Xtra's site. Now, it's even worst. You don't even what the cap is.

qazwsxokmijn
01-01-2007, 09:32 PM
What the **** is this new even more bull**** thing now? ***??

How in hell would Go Large be 'Unlimited Usage' when they're allowed to put us into the naughty pool whenever they ****ing please? Seriously, I'm giving them what for. This has gone WAAAAAAY too far.

Who's with me? I'm complaining to both their asses and the Commerce Department.

trinsic
01-01-2007, 09:50 PM
An unlimited plan and we are being told to keep it lite.

But see it this way. They slow down the bad guys and speed up the others.

wawape**s
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
why do they want to give speed to people who only browse web and send emails to their grandchildren

why not give speed to the people that most need it

msnforum
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
People used broadband to watch clips online. It can be clips from youtube or it can be trailers. Most people would want to get the best out of it. Downloading music from online store is another feature that most online users are aware of. It can range from music to movies to legal games distributer system such as Steam(if you know what i mean).

Jams
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
People used broadband to watch clips online. It can be clips from youtube or it can be trailers. Most people would want to get the best out of it. Downloading music from online store is another feature that most online users are aware of. It can range from music to movies to legal games distributer system such as Steam(if you know what i mean).

this feels like Xtra's unconcious effort at trying to keep piracy at bay. as they clearly outline P2P applications and the downloading of movies and music.

but as stated here. What happens when you download movies from Sony legally (you can), when you download Albums from iTunes, or download a full game from Steam or even download an OS, Windows Vista Beta or a Linux Distro...your screwed.

you would of paid money for your music/movie/game, and now you have been given slow internet for doing that. ultimatley scaring people away from downloading large files from the internet, taking their money away from the internet and putting in a store.

effectivly, this diminishes the sales of any online store that hosts large files, and potentially creates a lawsuit.

its different form the usual cap. as the user KNOWS when they have the cap to do such things, and its the users fault for trying to download a large file after they have used their cap.

The new way the user could be given a slow internet connection halfway through downloading a large file as telecom might go "ooo, this perosn has been downloading for some hours now and doesnt look like they will stop, i shall curse them with 5kpbs" even though that may be the first of anything they have downloaded.

qazwsxokmijn
02-01-2007, 09:31 PM
This is completely ****ed up. I hope telecom get a very, very kicking in the ass. Literally. Every single one of those executive idiots who makes the plans.

CaptinMoor
03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
OMG :waughh: I had now idea, I have been having real issues with my speed lately and have even passed comment to several people at the help desk to no avail. I think that what Telecom is doing is disgusting. Mind you its not like they haven't done it before "Unlimited Free Texts anyone" HA What a joke. I would love to know the email address that qazwsxokmijn has email in his Post

I am with you qazwsxokmijn post the email addresses and I will bit*h my f**king head off.

Let me know any further developments. Cheers guys

"Senior Member, Join Date: Nov 2006, Posts: 133"

Default Re: Xtra no longer has a 700mb cap between 4PM-12AM What the **** is this new even more bull**** thing now? ***?? How in hell would Go Large be 'Unlimited Usage' when they're allowed to put us into the naughty pool whenever they ****ing please? Seriously, I'm giving them what for. This has gone WAAAAAAY too far.Who's with me? I'm complaining to both their asses and the Commerce Department.

CaptinMoor
03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Email sent to broaband@xtra.co.nz and xtrahelp@xtra.co.nz:

To whom it may concern,

This email is regarding the suggested alteration to the Go Large plan. For starters I believe that this name should be changed as this no longer reflects the true style or nature of this plan. If you are suggesting that removing the 4pm-12am 700mb cap and replacing it with something that has not even been released to the public yet then this is no a large plan at all is it. In fact this is quite deceitful and requires further explanation from Telecom and this time it should be placed in a PUBLIC FORUM where everyone can see what is being suggested. Not in some page hidden deep with in xtras web site.

There needs to be further information provided about exactly what is going to be changed and how people like myself and Hundreds other that download LEAGLE Software images from the web are going to be effected. Things like LINUX Distro, Albums that you have Legally purchased from Sony or any other seller of online music. Games that have been purchased from D2D and can be downloaded. These are legal and authentic purchases and if you continue with the suggested alteration we are going to be left out in the cold with nothing else to do but move to another ISP that values it customers.

I understand that you are trying to run a profitable business but this is sort of Indian Giving philosophy of Telecoms is starting to get a bit tedious. First offer cell number users unlimited text for $10, then offer Broadband users unlimited downloads between the hours of 12:00am and 15:59 and then remove that. Not a good way to run any business.

I have been a loyal Telecom customer for the past 10 years and during that time I have had numerous cell, business, home and Internet accounts. I personally feel a but annoyed and if this alteration has already been made or is going to be put in to place I will take all accounts to another ISP and telephone company

I look forward to your response and suggestions in the near future and if you wish to discuss this matter any further please feel free to call me any time on the following contact details.

Tim Moor

qazwsxokmijn
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, for starters, I didn't write a 'formal' letter to the Xtra address.....but I am still finishing my letter for the Commerce Department.

winmacguy
03-01-2007, 10:43 AM
The gloves are off!

CaptinMoor
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, for starters, I didn't write a 'formal' letter to the Xtra address.....but I am still finishing my letter for the Commerce Department.

Do you want to post the contact details that you are sending your letter to and I will send a letter as well. The more letters / emails that they get in regards to this matter. The better the chances there are of something being done about it.

Sick to :angry DEATH:angry of being pushed around be big business like Telecom. Why should they get away with things like this.

Jams
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Downloading a LEGAL documentary from Bungie's website about Halo 3.

fastest speed i have had all week. 58kbs... on the Go Large Plan

Trev
03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Consumer MAg have already done that.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/newsitem.asp?docid=2793&category=News&topic=Xtra%20broadband%20complaint

Trevor :)

CaptinMoor
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Consumer MAg have already done that.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/newsitem.asp?docid=2793&category=News&topic=Xtra%20broadband%20complaint

Wicked thanks for the heads up mate. Good 2 know

Trev
03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Thats probibly why Telecom/Xtra have dropped the 700mb cap.

trinsic
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Thats probibly why Telecom/Xtra have dropped the 700mb cap.

They will drop it all together anway when ADSL2+ comes out. Like they would offer unlimited 17mbps let alone the current shocking speed.

jermsie
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Imagine ADSL2+ with a 200mb cap hahaha.

AMD
04-01-2007, 12:47 AM
An They slow down the bad guys and speed up the others.

others? we are the others.. go large is for all the bad guys.. who can download faster than 30k.

CaptinMoor
04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Telecoms Responce, ha what a joke: :illogical

Our Response 04/01/2007 08:12 AM
Dear Tim

Thank you for your email.

Would you be good enough to advise the source of the suggestion.

I will follow this up, and hold your email until I can reply.

For future enquiries and self-service account options you may find Xtra's online site useful at www.xtra.co.nz/help.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to download and install the Xtra Help Assistant at http://www.xtra.co.nz/helpassistant. It will assist you in solving broadband related connection issues and provide answers to frequently asked questions.

Kind regards

Tony
Service co-ordinator
Xtra Online Team
Telecom New Zealand Ltd
Helpdesk 0800 225598
www.xtra.co.nz

qazwsxokmijn
04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Tony? He's the guy who also replied to my email. Maybe he's the only one hired lol? :p

Anyway, this is one he's got to say:

'There is a need to manage the traffic, as if we did not, the P2P users would absorb massive bandwidth, leaving it poor for the vast majority of users. We have a big pipe, big enough for our demands, but adding more and more cars to the highway will cause a slowdown in cars as it can for data.'

Well, why did they make go large in the first place? idiots.

trinsic
04-01-2007, 11:56 AM
others? we are the others.. go large is for all the bad guys.. who can download faster than 30k.

I wouldn't say I'm bad but simply want a decent cap for $50. 2GB FS/FS wont get me anywhere and I refuse to pay more.

Well, why did they make go large in the first place? idiots.

To get out of customer demand for faster higher cap internet.

But hey have a look at this:

Bigpond Australia 256/64kbps 12GB Bandwidth for $59.95AUD = $67.05NZD

I would say we are lucky :D

msnforum
04-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Since they have limited p2p speeds, they should at least remove the cap completely. Can someone confirm that the 700mb cap is off?

Fishy
04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
This is complete bullsh!t I would much rather have 700mb cap than them having at their descretion. Now they can move anyone to the naughty pool at their wim. Commerce commision needs to hurry up and get it unlimited or tell them to change the plan.

qazwsxokmijn
04-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Indeed, Fishy. It is complete and utter bullsh!t. And another thing is they kept telling me to 'give it a week'. Lol. Most of the many times I complain using both email and phone, I always get something along the lines of 'I'd give it a week for them to resolve the issues'. A week? Hah! More like never.....

stu161204
04-01-2007, 06:44 PM
'There is a need to manage the traffic, as if we did not, the P2P users would absorb massive bandwidth, leaving it poor for the vast majority of users. We have a big pipe, big enough for our demands, but adding more and more cars to the highway will cause a slowdown in cars as it can for data.'

Ok, I can understand why then need to manage the traffic for P2P, but what I donít understand is why http downloads (local & international) & FTP downloads are so slow!! (More international then local thought)

CaptinMoor
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi there guys and girls. WOW guess what, I have actually had a phone call from Telecom Broadband. It was from one of their Techs. A guy called Tony Dale. qazwsxokmijn you have probably had the same phone call. HAHAH He was very upset about the email that I had sent him and wanted to know where I gained my information from. WELLLL I supplied him with the URL for: This Thread, the consumer letter that has been sent to the Commerce commission and the letter that Telecom broadband had posted on there website. He was astounded and didn't have a lot to say. Classic really. Poor guy is probably dealing with emails like mine all day. I guess that he should consider a career change or at the best move to a company that doesn't pillage its customers.

Any way itis nice to know that having a ***** and a moan on a public forum actually gets results. Well dont know about results. But a phone call at least. I will keep posting the feedback that I get from Telecom as it happens.

Lasters and do yourself a favour and check out the xnet website. Its super urber wicked. Great pricing as well.

Laters :thumbs:

qazwsxokmijn
04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I find it ironic how even the poor guys like Tony wan't even told by his seniors of the change.....

But no, he no one from xtra called me...oh, and stu, Tony said to me that apparently there is a set of IP or something that keeps using a further route or something.....therefore making packets go the extra distances to arrive to its destination....but still, they should be doing something about it.

CaptinMoor
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I find it ironic how even the poor guys like Tony wan't even told by his seniors of the change.....

But no, he no one from xtra called me...oh, and stu, Tony said to me that apparently there is a set of IP or something that keeps using a further route or something.....therefore making packets go the extra distances to arrive to its destination....but still, they should be doing something about it.

He mentioned something about some customers IP address are being hosted in the UK. He didn't even know how this could happen. Weird man. :D No dice to Tony but man Telecom better start getting ther act into gear man cause when the government takes there lines of them they will be rolaly screwed. No one with half a mind will ever chose to use Telecom or Xtra after the way that they have treated there customers. I say if you have shares in Telecom and you haven't already taken a hiding on the price. DITCH IT NOW cause give it 12 -18 months and you wont even be able to give them away. :)

AMD
05-01-2007, 12:27 AM
i think there is one solution out of this.. good for us and good for teleccom.. bring back adventure plan and f the full speed bull****.. 90% of us don't really get that fast anyway

qazwsxokmijn
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Adventure? What was the data allowance and speed again?

stu161204
05-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Adventure? What was the data allowance and speed again?

10GB

3.5M

qazwsxokmijn
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Lol my brother alone uses that much in a week. Bastard downloads so much it's not funny anymore. I'd be happy with a 5GB plan if my brother leaves home.

AMD
05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
just unfair for us.. like me i just want fast internet so i don't have to wait for anything to load.. i don't download much.. so, why don't they look up on there database and cap those high users.. now, that is the fair use policy

stu161204
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
just unfair for us.. like me i just want fast internet so i don't have to wait for anything to load.. i don't download much..

In that case why donít you go with something like Go Express or Go or move to a different ISP that give you a better data cap & good speed.

so, why don't they look up on there database and cap those high users.. now, that is the fair use policy

Thatís unfair for some people who need to move a large amount of data for there job or they are a gamerÖ.

qazwsxokmijn
05-01-2007, 09:17 PM
In that case why donít you go with something like Go Express or Go or move to a different ISP that give you a better data cap & good speed.
Have you ever been in the hassle of switching ISPs?

stu161204
05-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Have you ever been in the hassle of switching ISPs?

No, not recentlyÖ...(We have only changed broadband ISPís once before, back in the day when Jet Start was around), plus it isnít really a big hassle of switching ISPs; the only real hassle is changing e-mail addressÖ..

AMD
06-01-2007, 12:30 AM
all the same.. ihug unlimited is more f then xtra.. no more then 300mb in 3 days lol.. very interested in xnet.. i will give go large a bit more time before i make my switch..

qazwsxokmijn
06-01-2007, 07:25 AM
all the same.. ihug unlimited is more f then xtra.. no more then 300mb in 3 days lol.. very interested in xnet.. i will give go large a bit more time before i make my switch..
Ummm....you got it wrong....it's 500MB a day. Still bullsh!t nonetheless though.

CaptinMoor
06-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Hi there guys, good to see that the thread is still going. AMD I think that that could be the best thing to do. I have already ditched every single account I have with Xtra, bar the Line Rental charge of 40 odd bucks a month. They seem to be quite a good company from what I have heard.

As to changing ISP The guy at xnet was so helpful and they do it all for you. Basically you ring them and tell them what you want and then they call Xtra and tell them that they have lost yet another customer because of there crap service and before you know if its done. Now how hard is that.

Come on guys don't feel tied down to Xtra just cause its easy. You never know unless you try something new.

qazwsxokmijn
06-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I've heard xnet is good, but do they P2P shape a lot? On average, how many hours a day?